Latest boarding time

mattymay

I notice you are from Melbourne, so assume it may be a Sydney sailing. Looking at our past guest ticket details, sailing leaving at 6.45pm, boarding closed 5.15pm, and a 6.30pm sailing, boarding closed at 5.00pm. so based on this, one and half hours earlier. This was pre-covid, so all this may change with new protocols.  

In the US the cruise verbiage states all guests must be checked in 90 minutes before stated sail away time.  This year it's been common for sail away time to be delayed an hour or two in some cases.  

I have an upcoming cruise where the last boarding appointment in the app is 3:00 - 3:30pm for a published 5pm sail away time.  I'm expecting word of that time being pushed to 6pm or 7pm which has happened a few times this year.

This weekend the cruise has a published 7pm sailaway and the last appointment window was 4:00 - 4:30pm.  🤷‍♂️

Maybe they are allowing more time for kids who need to be tested in the terminal since that can take an hour or more if results are delayed.

It is 90mins, don't think they will extend time.

I think that's why boarding opens up so early. My Oct 31st sail away is at 7pm and 5:30 was the latest boarding time. Earlier on the earliest boarding time was 1pm, a few weeks ago it opened up 12pm appointments. Then with suites and PIns able to board an hr early, check-in begins around 11am. So the 90 mins will always be there, they will just allow earlier boarding times.

Thanks All.

10 hours ago, CruisingOz said:

I notice you are from Melbourne, so assume it may be a Sydney sailing.

Yes, from Melbourne, but no for Sydney sailing 😀

This is for an Alaska sailing out of Seattle. Trying to time the flight MEL-LAX-SEA. We're short on time so trying to save days where we can, but I think we'll just fly in the day before to be safe. 

Alaska is tricky because if you miss the ship they probably won't let you board at another Alaskan port - that would violate the Passenger Vessel Services Act for a Seattle cruise.  Victoria in Canada is often at the end of the cruise and that's the only other port where you can join the ship and not violate the PVSA.

Flying in to arrive the day before is the right call.

12 hours ago, twangster said:

Flying in to arrive the day before is the right call.

I agree with @twangster, at least one day before is the right thing. The Australia to LAX is not the issue. The LAX to next destination could be an issue. We have had delayed flights, missed flights due to TSA on more than one occasion, had our luggage fly in the next day, once two days. At least one day gives you a buffer and more options should something go wrong. Well worth a nights hotel charge. Also leave yourself at least 4 hours at LAX from international to domestic, even if the same airline. They always book closer, like 2.5 to 3 hours and trust me, we have ran for more than one connecting flight. Baggage seem slower in the US and then there is TSA, loverly folk who do their job methodically to keep us safe. Very thorough, but painfully slow, especially when you see gate closing.