Asking for help on easiest way to get Covid test on Saturday. My pharmacies are booked. TY

Walgreens in Florida only offers appointments within the next 48 hours.  I am waiting until Wednesday to make an appointment for this coming Friday. 

The early bird gets the worm... stay up until midnight Tuesday night when they open up the next block of appointments or get up early Wednesday morning to book something.  By noon they are often booked up. 

17 minutes ago, twangster said:

Walgreens in Florida only offers appointments within the next 48 hours.  I am waiting until Wednesday to make an appointment for this coming Friday. 

The early bird gets the worm... stay up until midnight Tuesday night when they open up the next block of appointments or get up early Wednesday morning to book something.  By noon they are often booked up. 

I need to be tested on Saturday in Florida myself.  So far, the Walgreens in my area are mostly showing "Many Appointments Available" even at midday.

8 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I need to be tested on Saturday in Florida myself.  So far, the Walgreens in my area are mostly showing "Many Appointments Available" even at midday.

It's definitely a lot better these days.  There are a bunch of appointments available over the next 48 hours here at the moment.  A month ago and these would all be booked.

1236789254_ScreenShot2021-10-11at7_54_44PM.thumb.jpg.2eefca002de5ab513d0f5b5badfe726e.jpg

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Have you checked pharmacies near your cruiseport?  Major airports may also offer testing (Miami and Orlando do).  They aren't cheap from what I understand, but they may be an option and you can schedule it.

All pharmacies near me are booked out two weeks. I booked one at Orlando airport, at Advent Health, but was hoping to get something closer to home. Thx

8 minutes ago, Nancy Pazmino said:

All pharmacies near me are booked out two weeks. I booked one at Orlando airport, at Advent Health, but was hoping to get something closer to home. Thx

St. Cloud, FL?

Keep in mind Walgreens does not offer appointments for two weeks in advance.  At the moment they only have appointments through Wednesday since it's Monday.

Tomorrow they will have appointments through Thursday.

Wednesday they will have appointments for Friday.

Thursday they will have appointments for Saturday.

Friday they will have appointments for Sunday.

There are appointments for Wednesday in the St. Cloud area.  Try again in a few days for weekend appointments.

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing?ban=covid_vanity_testing

1590292328_ScreenShot2021-10-11at8_32_11PM.thumb.jpg.abe02495782f93a433f6b4fe2ba06076.jpg

57852560_ScreenShot2021-10-11at8_31_55PM.thumb.jpg.5436fbe9e3889cb8892a307e56dd9d3a.jpg

7 minutes ago, Nancy Pazmino said:

Have a great trip! I hope to go on the Allure one of these days. Starting with the Mariner for my first time back cruising!

Mariner is a great ship. 

I know it feels unsettling to wait to book a Walgreens test but I have used them for several cruises now and they always come through for me.  Sometimes I get the results back by email before I've driven home from the test.  No cost.   Done in the drive through, never leave the car.  

29 minutes ago, Nancy Pazmino said:

Driving to Port Canaveral. I scheduled one at Advent Health at the Orlando airport, but I’d prefer to go to a pharmacy closer to home. Thx

I’d map every Walgreens between St Cloud and PC. I’m in St Johns (between Jax and St Augustine) and Walgreens books only 48 hours out

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I booked at CVS today for Oct 24th cruise

18 minutes ago, MotleyCruiser said:

I booked at CVS today for Oct 24th cruise

CVS does schedule 2 weeks out but in my area they don't offer rapid tests, only PCR.  I'd have to drive to Kissimmee for the closest CVS that does rapid tests.  

Consequently I adapted to use Walgreens who does rapid tests in my area but they only offer appointments 2 days out.   

Back when the test could be 3 days before the cruise I was able to use the CVS PCR tests but with a two day window the PCR is too slow.  

Am glad FL have Walgreens with the rapid tests. In North Texas the Walgreens only does the PCR tests which take too long. CVS does the rapid tests but only in a select few places. We can get into these for our tests but have opted for the eMed testing online and purchased enough to last through our January cruises with one to spare. After that we will see which one we will use, the pharmacy or the online. Maybe by then the pharmaceutical company (Abbott) will have new online kits available.

I'm going to have to scramble now, CVS just canceled both my wife and my appointments we had for tomorrow for our Sunday cruise. Now it's to late to even get a Walgreens test as they are all gone. I'll have to check if there are any walk in clinics doing testing. I did get three of the home tests which will cover all three of us, but then I have no backup in case we mess one of them up.

Follow up, I was able to book with my Primary Care Physician for tomorrow afternoon, this is so stressful I really need a cruise 🙂

12 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I have been reading lots of reports of CVS cancelling, I wonder what the issue is?

It happened to me once. More of an outlier than a common occurrence. 

I scheduled appointments for my kids for our cruise last week exactly 2 weeks in advance. No issues with them getting cancelled.

13 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I have been reading lots of reports of CVS cancelling, I wonder what the issue is?

They book far in advance so they're subject to scheduling issues with staff and potentially supply issues. If someone calls out and they don't have a backup who can do the testing they would have to cancel.

13 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

From what I've heard the CVS test that get cancelled are antigen and they claim shortages of antigen supplies.

The Walgreens rapid tests are NAAT and so far not impacted by shortages of supplies.

The scheduling differences between CVS and Walgreens may be a factor. 

CVS is scheduling appointments two weeks in advance but can't get the tests to the stores in time.

Walgreens here only schedules 48 hours in advance so their stock is much closer to real time and they can fulfil the order.

Walgreen warns me it isn't confirmed until they notify me.   Later I get an email to confirm the appointment.  

CVS takes appointments hoping to be able to distribute tests in time while Walgreens only confirms appoints once they know they can deliver.

5 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I thought scheduling three COVID test appointments was overkill.  Turns out it was a wise thing to do based on recent posts to this thread.

image.png.83e980a8005837cb5fa388dbd321a740.png

So that's why all the appointments are gone 🤣

I'm only booking Walgreens now, once.  I do have the Abbott proctored tests in my possession as a backup.  They expire in January so I've already decided which cruises i will use them for.   

21 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I thought scheduling three COVID test appointments was overkill.  Turns out it was a wise thing to do based on recent posts to this thread.

Nah. I usually do the same spread out between Walgreens, CVS and a local community site around the corner on the first available day. Then I book backups for the 2nd day just in case. I also know where I can go for last minute pay to play testing sites if needed.  As soon as I have the negative test in hand I cancel everything outstanding.

My next cruise (on a full ship charter through a different line) is a little trickier as it requires a PCR test to be covered for refunds in case of testing positive at the port, so while PCR is most readily available, I am still taking tests multiple days in a row as a backup in case the first results don't come in time. Fortunately the window is 96 hours for me on that.

23 minutes ago, twangster said:

Looks like Walgreens is doing 4 days out now.  

Plenty of appt's from tomorrow through Tuesday near me.

In a way, this scares me as a cruiser.  When the demand for these tests goes so low,  the pharmacies will phase them out.  I'm afraid this will limit our options for pre-cruise testing.  I hope the testing requirements for cruising will have been relaxed or even totally eliminated by that time.