Night sky stargazing

D Alt

Usually, there is too much light pollution from the ship combined with high humidity from being at sea.  Its better than most areas that people live that have really bad light pollution, but not as good as you would see in an area with low humidity and minimal light pollution.

Having said that, I really enjoy being on my balcony at night viewing the stars.

As an avid star gazer, I can assure you that you'll be disappointed. Even in the darkest parts of the ship, the insane amount of light pollution coming off of said ship makes it difficult to see much beyond what you would in any metro area on land. I did take a cargo ship from Dakar to Nassau once, and that was something special...but on a cruise ship, don't expect much sadly. 

45 minutes ago, nanabell13 said:

This was one of the best things about the smaller ships like the Empress, Majesty, and Monarch.  Smaller=less light pollution and better stargazing opportunities.  

I bet...it's a reason I would want to take the smallest ship possible across any big body of water. As I mentioned earlier, I took a cargo ship across the Atlantic once and it was spectacular being able to get away from pretty much all light sources. The idea of taking the smallest ship possible sounds lovely to me. 

Ships that have forward access to the helipad are best for night gazing since the bridge requires it dark at night to keep watch.  

The milky way season is coming to an end, it's better in the summer months.  This time of year the view shifts South and over the winter the southern hemisphere has better visibility of the Milky Way.

Cloud cover is often an issue and/or a full moon which can light up the sky.  For this photo it was cloudy and stormy on the horizon but the clouds broke enough to capture the Milky Way.  

fmb7g5w.jpg

TlmyMUx.jpg

The Milky Way isn't this apparent to the naked eye but a 10 to 15 second exposure with a good camera will capture it.  You have to get lucky.  New moon, no clouds, right heading, low wind so the ship isn't rocking much.  

This aft balcony on Odyssey was pretty good for night sky viewing.  The lights of South Florida and the afterglow of the sun setting earlier illuminated the clouds on the horizon.  

oy-milky.jpg

On some nights my neighbors left the balcony light on or had the curtains open and light on in the cabin, both of which made it pretty hard to realize good night vision.  But I got lucky since it was cloudy for most of the cruise.

25 minutes ago, AlmondFarmer said:

I think peak Milky Way time is October 31st. 

https://capturetheatlas.com/best-time-to-see-the-milky-way/

BEST TIME TO SEE THE MILKY WAY IN NORTH AMERICA

The best time to see the Milky Way in North America depends on your latitude:

• In Southern latitudes like the Southern states of the US or Mexico, the best time of year to see the Milky Way is from late March to late September, while the Milky Way season goes from early February to late October.
  • In higher latitudes like most of the contiguous states of the US, the best time to see the Milky Way is from late March to late August, while the Milky Way season goes from late February to late September.
  • In Northern latitudes like Canada, the best time to see the Milky Way is from Mid-April to Mid-July, whereas the Milky Way season goes from late February to late September.