Add'l $ Due with Lift & Shift

baltodave

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else or if this seems reasonable.

We were originally booked to go on Liberty OTS out of Galveston 9/26/21 and it was paid-in-full.  When RCL canceled that cruise we did a "Lift & Shift" to the same cruise (7 nights with stops in Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel) to 10/9/22.  Now, we owe an additional $151.34 (we have a promenade view interior room).  When I asked the TA (affiliated with cruise.com), he explained that RCL made an error and instead of refunding us the taxes/fees from the original cruise it was applied to the cruise next year and that the invoice balance was due to  increased taxes and fees.  

Does this make any sense?

Taxes & port fees for Liberty on 10/9/22 are currently $119.10 pp.  Type of cabin does not impact this figure.  Taxes vary slightly over time so this may not be the exact amount of your taxes.

Do you have your original booking invoice?  That will tell you what the taxes and port fees were on your 9/6/21 booking.

What does your current booking invoice say for taxes and fees?

How many are in your group?  If there are two in your party $151.34 / 2 = $75.64.  If there are four in your party $151.34  / 4 = $37.83.

While taxes do vary as they estimate and guess at the numbers on board it's unusual for taxes and port fees to have large dramatic changes such as $75pp when they are around $120pp.  

I'd ask them what the taxes were before and what they are now.  

41 minutes ago, baltodave said:

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else or if this seems reasonable.

We were originally booked to go on Liberty OTS out of Galveston 9/26/21 and it was paid-in-full.  When RCL canceled that cruise we did a "Lift & Shift" to the same cruise (7 nights with stops in Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel) to 10/9/22.  Now, we owe an additional $151.34 (we have a promenade view interior room).  When I asked the TA (affiliated with cruise.com), he explained that RCL made an error and instead of refunding us the taxes/fees from the original cruise it was applied to the cruise next year and that the invoice balance was due to  increased taxes and fees.  

Does this make any sense?

Yes.  This is correct.  You are required to pay any additional taxes and port fees, if they are greater than the original fees.  It is very common.

1 hour ago, Neesa said:

I did a lift & shift after my 01 August 2021 Allure was cancelled, again like you paid in full. My new sailing is 31 July 2022 & now I owe $726.27, it's an Eastern Caribbean and those monies are listed as taxes & fees.

Wow thats a BIG difference! Have you checked everything against your original invoice?  We actually lost one port day on our L & S & our total fare went down about $100. 

11 hours ago, Pooch said:

Wow thats a BIG difference! Have you checked everything against your original invoice?  We actually lost one port day on our L & S & our total fare went down about $100. 

Yes, I know! My MEI TA is @Sharla and she showed me, broke it down. There are 3 of us and it was probably close to a little more than $100.00 each in port fees and taxes each added to the 2021 taxes and fees.  Inflation from 2021 to 2022! At least my sailing was price protected, the sailing fare itself was double the cost.