Room Service/The Key Question??

CJS2766

Hello all,

We just received our email informing us about changes to "The Key" program and one of the changes now is that we get room service for the entire cruise with some other perks. My question is? What exactly is included in room service? My wife was wondering if we needed clothing ironed/pressed, would that be included or is that still an extra charge? It would make life much easier if we knew what is included vs what is still a charge for service. 

Can't believe we finally cruise next Saturday!!!!!! 😀

3 hours ago, CJS2766 said:

Hello all,

We just received our email informing us about changes to "The Key" program and one of the changes now is that we get room service for the entire cruise with some other perks. My question is? What exactly is included in room service? My wife was wondering if we needed clothing ironed/pressed, would that be included or is that still an extra charge? It would make life much easier if we knew what is included vs what is still a charge for service. 

Can't believe we finally cruise next Saturday!!!!!! 😀

@CJS2766, as was mentioned, it's food delivery only.  It's my understanding that, with the exception of a Continental Breakfast, any other room service incurs a service charge of $7.95 (per service, not per item -- the food is free, the service isn't).  With The Key, there's now no charge for any Room Service food order you care to place.  I don't think it applies to bar/drink orders, however.  Personally, although I was looking forward to the Chops lunch on Embarkation Day, this coupled with the 25% discount in specialty restaurants is an acceptable substitute.  

Laundry will be an extra charge, but usually on the 7+ night cruises, RCL will have an "All You Can Stuff In This Bag" laundry deal for a set price.  And, everything comes back clean and neatly folded to your room!

Have a wonderful cruise, and please do come back and comment on your experience 🙂

Looking at the cruise planner for our Allure sailing on April 30th and the Key still says Chops Lunch and nothing about room service. Price $37.99 per day.

Summary of your benefits:
• Priority check-in and boarding on Day 1. Upon arrival at the terminal, follow The Key check-in signage to your designated check-in area.
• Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off your carry-on bags in the Main Dining Room until 1:30pm.
• Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille Lunch menu. Seating is from 11:30am – 1:30pm.
• Private hours at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more. The private hours schedule will be provided on the welcome letter you will receive onboard on Day 1.
• Priority departure at ports of call from ship-to-shore.
• Seats in the exclusive VIP seating section at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater, Studio B and Two70. You must reserve your show tickets in advance in the Entertainment section of Cruise Planner (up to 72 hours before your sailing) or onboard the ship.
• VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet.
• On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive à la carte breakfast and choice departure.

44 minutes ago, wozswoman said:

Looking at the cruise planner for our Allure sailing on April 30th and the Key still says Chops Lunch and nothing about room service. Price $37.99 per day.

Summary of your benefits:
• Priority check-in and boarding on Day 1. Upon arrival at the terminal, follow The Key check-in signage to your designated check-in area.
• Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off your carry-on bags in the Main Dining Room until 1:30pm.
• Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille Lunch menu. Seating is from 11:30am – 1:30pm.
• Private hours at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more. The private hours schedule will be provided on the welcome letter you will receive onboard on Day 1.
• Priority departure at ports of call from ship-to-shore.
• Seats in the exclusive VIP seating section at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater, Studio B and Two70. You must reserve your show tickets in advance in the Entertainment section of Cruise Planner (up to 72 hours before your sailing) or onboard the ship.
• VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet.
• On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive à la carte breakfast and choice departure.

I noticed that the description of The Key on my upcoming Freedom sailing remains the same, even though I've already received the email detailing the changes.  Apparently the Cruise Planner folks haven't been told to update it.  It's still $0.40 less per day than the Voom 1-Device price ($17.99 vs $18.39 for Voom)

15 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

I noticed that the description of The Key on my upcoming Freedom sailing remains the same, even though I've already received the email detailing the changes.  Apparently the Cruise Planner folks haven't been told to update it.  It's still $0.40 less per day than the Voom 1-Device price ($17.99 vs $18.39 for Voom)

Must be your sailing mine is $37.99 per day not $17.99 per day.

On 10/10/2021 at 12:59 PM, IRMO12HD said:

Laundry will be an extra charge, but usually on the 7+ night cruises, RCL will have an "All You Can Stuff In This Bag" laundry deal for a set price.  And, everything comes back clean and neatly folded to your room!

Do you have a ball park for this service? It might be worth it to pack half of some things.

1 hour ago, AHollyS said:

Do you have a ball park for this service? It might be worth it to pack half of some things.

As I recall it was in the $35-$40 range, and it is somewhat restrictive.  You have to be careful what you send in, everything is washed in super hot water, all together (no separating of colors and whites), and is dried at the hottest setting possible

Good for underwear, socks, pajamas, t shirts and shorts.

@CJS2766 

To answer that question definitively, you might have better success copying and pasting the perks listed for The Key straight from your cruise planner. I wouldn't be surprised if RCCL is trying to find the right combination of perks to ensure The Key brings value to their guests. Maybe they are offering different perks for different sailings?

As you can see from the picture (and link), our last cruise was just like @IRMO12HD said; $7.95 delivery charge for anything not on the "continental breakfast" menu. If you order anything else off the menu, there is a $7.95 flat rate charge whether you order a single PB&J or everything. (so get that second order of fries when your significant other says they "just want one off your plate"). 

To your question about the ironing/pressing, that most likely would be a separate charge. Ironing/pressing is often included for Junior Suite and above, and I haven't yet seen that as a perk of The Key. 
24/7 Room Service | Cruise Ship Food | Royal Caribbean Cruises

image.thumb.png.4872dfb2a4fcf1805dafe71762cf6eeb.png

Without taking the Key benefits into consideration, was there a gratuity added on in addition to the $7.95 service fee? Or would people traditionally tip the room service delivery person in cash? Or both?

If it is the case that gratuity was tacked on, does the Key benefit (of having room service be included) change any of that? Just want to make sure I am not short-changing anyone on their tip!

When Royal introduced the upgraded room service menu a few years ago they added the service fee at the same time.  

Back in the old days it wasn't unusual to see plates lining the hallway with piles of uneaten food because people would order a bunch of anything and everything.  Why not?  It's free.  The $8 fee breaks people of that mindset.  I don't see the same waste anymore.  It's definitely cut down on the piles of food lining the hallway.  

There are some great items from room service.  Before Playmakers came around the new room service burger was one of the better burgers on board.  Some nights I just feel like eating chicken wings and they're not bad from room service.  Not as hot as Playmaker wings but cheaper.