Any idea when Puerto Rico protocols will be released

We are waiting too. Nov 7th cruise out of Puerto Rico and still don't know what's going on. If we have to sign up for Royal excursions to get off the ship we will be cancelling. (we have children under 12 in our party) Hard to make plans. I guess the longer they wait maybe a better chance for better changes?

12 hours ago, Pam W said:

We are waiting too. Nov 7th cruise out of Puerto Rico and still don't know what's going on. If we have to sign up for Royal excursions to get off the ship we will be cancelling. (we have children under 12 in our party) Hard to make plans. I guess the longer they wait maybe a better chance for better changes?

I like your optimism!  I do believe that Royal is slow on releasing these because they are hoping for better news.  It's rather frustrating to be this close to a sailing and not having any indication of what to expect.

My daughter has talked herself into believing the cruise will be cancelled.  I don't think so as Explorer is already catching some rays near Puerto Rico, but I understand her concern.

I think they'll have to release something this week.  Let us know if you hear anything.  Your cruise is sooner than mine, so you'll probably hear first.

I too am waiting to hear.  Our cruise isn't until early January but  I can see that the pre-boarding Covid test could be problematic.  I am assuming that there will be multiple cruise lines in port and I am assuming that all of them are following the same protocol to board.  That being said, there will be a hundreds of people in San Juan at the same time.  The rapid Covid tests are very scarce to purchase at this point and will be even worse, if any, by the end of the year.  There are no rapid testing sites (CVS, Walgreens, Airport) with a fast enough turn around to meet the two day turn around necessary to board the ship.  Any body else feeling anxious?

58 minutes ago, MKSglitz said:

I too am waiting to hear.  Our cruise isn't until early January but  I can see that the pre-boarding Covid test could be problematic.  I am assuming that there will be multiple cruise lines in port and I am assuming that all of them are following the same protocol to board.  That being said, there will be a hundreds of people in San Juan at the same time.  The rapid Covid tests are very scarce to purchase at this point and will be even worse, if any, by the end of the year.  There are no rapid testing sites (CVS, Walgreens, Airport) with a fast enough turn around to meet the two day turn around necessary to board the ship.  Any body else feeling anxious?

Some further info that I recently read regarding your stay in Puerto Rico.  If you plan on a pre/post cruise in any motel/hotel/vrbo or any rental you must show proof of being vaccinated.  I wish I could remember where I saw that but it just wasn't on a social media platform.  It could have been on the guidelines to enter the country (????)We are staying at the Stellaris Marriott and I might have seen it there.  Nevertheless, if anybody has concerns if you are unvaccinated, please search out this info before getting there and finding out you can't stay anywhere.

I have had this cruise booked since January of 2020. Covid came and everything went to heck. I am on the 30th Of January 2022 Explorer Of The Seas. Got a awesome deal back when I booked. My problem in a nutshell. We wanted to go stay in San Juan for 3 days prior to cruise. Coming from Dallas Texas. If they do the pretest for 3 days we can barely get it here before leaving (Late Flight). If it comes down to 2 or before boarding here is our dilemma. If for some reason god forbid we test positive the day we leave Dallas we can still cancel and almost everything will be refundable. If we leave here and get in San Juan and test there either in San Juan or before the ship boards and again god forbid we test positive we then have no cruise, no hotel to stay in and no way home?? I don't know if I am willing to take that chance. Any thought from anyone?

Thanks

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but the Covid test that they are requiring now is no more then TWO days before boarding and NOT THREE. The Covid tests that I've found being offered in San Juan have a 24-72 hr turn around results including the ones at the airport.  (Taking a slim chance that the results will come back in 24 hrs)  From what I understand the Covid rapid tests that everyone has or are buying on line currently  requires a proctor to validate the test and those tests have an expiration date the end of December.  This is not helping me either as my cruise from San Juan is January 9,2021.  So unless Emed, Optum, or the RCCL store has an upcoming shipment of rapid proctored tests with a later expiration date, or the protocols change (which I highly doubt) I'll be cancelling my long awhile cruise (booked 2020) and unfortunately losing my deposit

3 hours ago, MKSglitz said:

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but the Covid test that they are requiring now is no more then TWO days before boarding and NOT THREE. The Covid tests that I've found being offered in San Juan have a 24-72 hr turn around results including the ones at the airport.  (Taking a slim chance that the results will come back in 24 hrs)  From what I understand the Covid rapid tests that everyone has or are buying on line currently  requires a proctor to validate the test and those tests have an expiration date the end of December.  This is not helping me either as my cruise from San Juan is January 9,2021.  So unless Emed, Optum, or the RCCL store has an upcoming shipment of rapid proctored tests with a later expiration date, or the protocols change (which I highly doubt) I'll be cancelling my long awhile cruise (booked 2020) and unfortunately losing my deposit

There are Walgreens in Puerto Rico that offer the 1-hour result antigen test. You should be fine.

10 hours ago, KristiZ said:

There are Walgreens in Puerto Rico that offer the 1-hour result antigen test. You should be fine.

Do you know if there is a fee involved for this service for non PR or US citizens? 

Across here in the UK we get all testing done FOC, this includes packs of 7 Antigen tests sent to anyones home whenever they are requested. 

7 hours ago, Ray said:

Do you know if there is a fee involved for this service for non PR or US citizens? 

Across here in the UK we get all testing done FOC, this includes packs of 7 Antigen tests sent to anyones home whenever they are requested. 

It is actually at the discretion of the offering store. Likely there will be a fee, especially for a rapid test, anywhere from $99-$350. But possibly not. 

@Psycho and BarbI have a sailing on Explorer soon, so have been watching everything PR.

this web site seems to be accurate, when compared to other google searches

https://www.discoverpuertorico.com/info/travel-guidelines

requires a Travel Declaration Form on the Puerto Rico Health Department’s online portal be filled out before arrival at the airport.  Should be no problem if you're fully Vaccinated.

Please come back and let us know how your sailing went, Good Luck and have fun

49 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

@Psycho and BarbI have a sailing on Explorer soon, so have been watching everything PR.

this web site seems to be accurate, when compared to other google searches

https://www.discoverpuertorico.com/info/travel-guidelines

requires a Travel Declaration Form on the Puerto Rico Health Department’s online portal be filled out before arrival at the airport.  Should be no problem if you're fully Vaccinated.

Please come back and let us know how your sailing went, Good Luck and have fun

The questions I am still trying to figure out and have emailed Puerto Rico about (email address on the site)

1. How early can you complete the travel declaration form?

2. What do you need to do if you are staying in Puerto Rico for one night post-cruise?

16 hours ago, Reigert2008 said:

The questions I am still trying to figure out and have emailed Puerto Rico about (email address on the site)

2. What do you need to do if you are staying in Puerto Rico for one night post-cruise?

We are also trying to figure that out.  We are flying in a day before our cruise and trying to nail down our requirements.  Lets keep each other posted on what we find out.

On 10/18/2021 at 9:26 PM, Reigert2008 said:

I know that in Europe these forms need not only your flight details but also your seat number. So unless you pay well in advance for seats on flight you cannot fill out forms until after you have checked in on flight 

19 hours ago, Ray said:

I know that in Europe these forms need not only your flight details but also your seat number. So unless you pay well in advance for seats on flight you cannot fill out forms until after you have checked in on flight 

We did our Puerto Rico Travel Docs yesterday.  They only wanted our flight number.  But, they also wanted to know where we were staying and for how long...We entered the Pier address and listed Royal Caribbean as our host...Didn't see any other option's.  Hope we did it right.  

1 hour ago, Psycho and Barb said:

We did our Puerto Rico Travel Docs yesterday.  They only wanted our flight number.  But, they also wanted to know where we were staying and for how long...We entered the Pier address and listed Royal Caribbean as our host...Didn't see any other option's.  Hope we did it right.  

That's what we did for the Bahamas cruises and had no issue.

3 hours ago, Psycho and Barb said:

Thats good to know 🙂

For my flight to Gibraltar in 2weeks i have to have flight seat number first before i can complete the forms. 

Different countries Different rules! Always best to check though as things change quickly 

Saw this link in another thread and now wonder if this will affect Vaccinated Americans cruising from Puerto Rico.

Link -- https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-administration-unveils-vaccine-testing-requirements-travel-u-s-n1282288

Quote from article "Beginning Nov. 8, unvaccinated U.S. citizens and long-term residents will have to present a negative Covid test taken a day before re-entering the country, and unvaccinated foreign nationals will be able to enter only in limited circumstances, an administration official said Monday. Fully vaccinated Americans will have to be tested three days before travel. "

Maybe one of the TA's that frequent the boards has an idea. Maybe @Sharla?  (sorry I don't personally know her, but i enjoy seeing the information she provides.)

My TA for this Puerto Rico cruise has not been helpful and is the last of the items i have with this agency.  I'm reaching out to them for guidance, but am not hopeful for a response.  

I've already switched my TA needs to MEI Travel and have used them for 2 cruises and a land based trip, just have to get through this last non-MEI one...

17 minutes ago, Sharla said:

I would go with the November protocols that came out yesterday. Puerto Rico is part of the US, but the other ports won't be so Royal and others are subject to the requirements of those countries.

Thanks!  Now that I have read a million things and slept a little, i think my concern was "Do I need to be tested 3 days before flying from Puerto Rico to my home in the mainland" ".  Since we have never traveled directly to and from Puerto Rico, our brains have been having a hard time reconciling that Puerto Rico is mostly like the US, but not always.

I also saw in the Royal protocols that anyone needing a test to return to thier home country can get one on the ship, so at the worst, that would cover it.

We got such a good deal on this cruise, it will be worth the extra steps.  

7 minutes ago, steverk said:

I see that this morning San Juan is listed as a departure port.  Everything looks pretty much the same as other US ports except 3 of my ports of call require ship board excursions

Oh! and you need to fill out the TravelSafe declaration to fly to Puerto Rico!

Yeah, that's what I see as well.  We booked some excursions for Barbados, St. Luca, and St. Kitts last night.  We didn't want to have to try and explain to people that "it looked great from the ship" and we still had OBC from a canceled cruise that we needed to spend, so it wasn't a lot of new "out of pocket expense".

You can fill out your travel form basically anytime.  When you do, you will enter in the date as MM-DD-YYYY, but when it show up on your travel profile as DD-MM-YYYY, so don't get confused.

We are still trying to figure out if we need a new travel safe form for the one night post-cruise that we will be in Puerto rRco and which option to pick since we won't be flying in.

9 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

We are still trying to figure out if we need a new travel safe form for the one night post-cruise that we will be in Puerto rRco and which option to pick since we won't be flying in.

That is a bit confusing.  I'm doing a 1 night pre cruise stay.  Since I really didn't see any way to enter in my full itinerary, I put down the ship as my lodging.  That is the major stop, so I figured it was the best option.

5 minutes ago, steverk said:

That is a bit confusing.  I'm doing a 1 night pre cruise stay.  Since I really didn't see any way to enter in my full itinerary, I put down the ship as my lodging.  That is the major stop, so I figured it was the best option.

We are also flying in the day before and staying at a hotel, so we filled out a form that lists the hotel as our lodging for the one night.  I assume that we would at least find out something on the cruise if we need it post-cruise, but the only options on the form are Flight or Ferry.  

So You can enter PR without needing a test but you need to get 1 anyway to get on ship. 

If you’re flying in from the U.S.

Vaccinated guests have no testing requirement to enter Puerto Rico

All Guests: Required Testing to Board the Ship

You’ll need to bring a negative PCR or antigen test result to the cruise terminal to board the ship. It can be the same result you used to enter Puerto Rico, provided you time it right.