Overcoming the Cruising Stereotypes

Jackson

Hello cruising friends,

My name is Jackson (20M) - I’m currently in college with a girlfriend (20F) who has some hesitancies with cruising.

To date, I’ve been on 6 cruises, with 3 of those being on Royal, and I’m trying to convince her to go on one. She has bought in to the stereotypes that cruises are filled with buffet-style, unhealthy and fattening food, young kids running and screaming around the boat, and is crowded with thousands of unruly guests.

Now, having been on a family-type cruise like Royal, and even a kid-type cruise like Disney, I’ve never found any of that to be the case. While Royal does have a great buffet (which I love!), the food has always been diverse and plentiful; I’ve never found there to be crazy kids, or that a boat was ever crowded or unruly.
So, my question is, how do I convince her that her stereotypes are incorrect? Are there any resources, articles, videos, etc. y’all could share with me? Because my experience alone is not doing the trick…

Thank you in advance!

Jackson

Check out some of the resources listed here!

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/search/node?keys=myths

Also you can go to YouTube and just type in "cruising myths" in the YouTube search bar and come up with many videos from cruise vloggers.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums!

I don't drink alcohol, don't gamble,am not a huge beach/sun person, am not a people person at all, and have to eat carefully so I don't get sick.  I absolutely love cruising. 

There is something about being out on the ocean that is so peaceful and rejuvenating.  Even staying in an inside cabin on a full ship, I have always been able to find a quiet space on deck by myself.

I drive my wife crazy cause I'm always three cruises ahead of what we have booked.

6 hours ago, Jackson said:

Hello cruising friends,

My name is Jackson (20M) - I’m currently in college with a girlfriend (20F) who has some hesitancy with cruising.

To date, I’ve been on 6 cruises, with 3 of those being on Royal, and I’m trying to convince her to go on one. She has bought in to the stereotypes that cruises are filled with buffet-style, unhealthy and fattening food, young kids running and screaming around the boat, and is crowded with thousands of unruly guests.

My take on this is definitely ask her to Trust You, do at least a 6 night cruise, during the off ie low season (No spring break, No Holidays, No Summer.. ie to avoid massive children) and then tell her if she doesn't like you'll drop the suggestion.

I have found everything other posters say to be true, honestly my wife and I have total different ideas of a good time, she like to be up at 5am, hit the gym a 6 when it opens, eat healthy, no lunch, no desert at dinner, well occasionally, to bed by 9pm.  For us, we have found something we can both enjoy.

Again have her try it, cost can be reasonable compared to other vacations and if it doesn't work for you move on.  My wife didn't like fish or Lobster until I talked her into trying it, now its a staple.  I thought Fish Tacos sounded weird, now i wish i'd tried them sooner.  Life is about variety and adventure try some.