Dinner and a Movie :)

Going back many years, movies that played in the onboard theater cycled constantly on your in-cabin tv. My daughters are excited about a few that are likely to be played on our cruise next week on Oasis (THANK YOU JohnK6404 for your blog!!!) and we hope to watch a few of them on day 3 in our CS, as we do not intend on leaving the boat at Pt Canaveral. Is that a valid plan or should we arrange our schedules to be in the theater for those movies we've just GOT TO see? (<- insert teenaged emphasis here with the "GOT TO" 🤪). 

Second, we have dinner scheduled for day 1 at Chops. With Sail Away being pushed to 6pm, is a 6:45pm reservation time safe for being on deck to enjoy the Statue of Liberty and trip under the Verrazano bridge? Also, does Chops really take 2 full hours? 

Thank you in advance for your help and I'm sure more questions will follow!

If the movies that you GOT TO see are in the theater then I would suggest going there to view them. Nothing beats the big screen and sound system for the movies. Otherwise the suite is a good place to see them. As far as the 6:45pm reservation I will defer to our other members who regularly sail out of NY. To me that is a little short on time and would move it a little later.

Sail away is from Bayonne so we do not pass the Statue of Liberty. She’s further up the harbor…as is all of Manhattan. We pull out, turn right and head for the bridge. 
Once in a while, usually for publicity photos, the ship will turn left and head upriver to the statue…spin around…then head back down to the bridge. 
We still have views of the statue off in the distance and the downtown Manhattan and Brooklyn skylines. Going under the bridge is very interesting as there are just a couple of feet clearance. The ship lowers her funnels so she can squeeze by. Nice view from midship on the upper deck. Did you receive an email regarding the departure time changing? Usually it’s at four…but the last two trips I took in Sept it was pushed back to five. Even if it is at six…you should have enough time to get to dinner at Chops…providing there is no delay leaving the dock…and you go right after we clear the bridge. You dine at your pace…they just allow a general time frame for dining. Enjoy the cruise! I’ll be there also.

4 hours ago, CrusingfromClayton said:

Also, does Chops really take 2 full hours? 

Thank you in advance for your help and I'm sure more questions will follow!

Chops takes as long as you want it to take. If you really want to be out in an hour, tell your waiter and they will do their best to accommodate. But realistically, 90 minutes is usual. More if you take a more leisurely pace OR if the kitchen backs up. 

7 minutes ago, BrianAlt said:

Chops takes as long as you want it to take. If you really want to be out in an hour, tell your waiter and they will do their best to accommodate. But realistically, 90 minutes is usual. More if you take a more leisurely pace OR if the kitchen backs up. 

Agreed. Average is around 90 mins from start to finish.  But you can get out quicker if you ask.

5 hours ago, BrianB said:

Sail away is from Bayonne so we do not pass the Statue of Liberty. She’s further up the harbor…as is all of Manhattan. We pull out, turn right and head for the bridge. 
Once in a while, usually for publicity photos, the ship will turn left and head upriver to the statue…spin around…then head back down to the bridge. 
We still have views of the statue off in the distance and the downtown Manhattan and Brooklyn skylines. Going under the bridge is very interesting as there are just a couple of feet clearance. The ship lowers her funnels so she can squeeze by. Nice view from midship on the upper deck. Did you receive an email regarding the departure time changing? Usually it’s at four…but the last two trips I took in Sept it was pushed back to five. Even if it is at six…you should have enough time to get to dinner at Chops…providing there is no delay leaving the dock…and you go right after we clear the bridge. You dine at your pace…they just allow a general time frame for dining. Enjoy the cruise! I’ll be there also.

Hey BrianB! Thank you for the info - and yes, I received that email. Strange as this week they departed at 5pm but ours is pushed to 6? I believe you and I are the only ones from the Roll Call - very excited to jut be on board! See you next week! 😃

~Kimber

As many times as I've sailed out of Bayonne, I have no idea how long it takes to get to the bridge.  But as stated above, there is no guarantee if the ship will sail up north a few minutes to give you a closer view of Lady Liberty.  I wouldn't count on it; I think only 1 ship we were on actually did it, to be honest.  All the other times they did not.  But you definitely want to be up top to sail under the bridge; I'm disappointed we won't be on Oasis to see it.  It was close on Quantum class - I can't imagine it looking any closer on Oasis class!