RCCL protection plan question

egd207

Since I'm new to cruising I had booked my trip with Royal online myself and purchased the insurance through them.  After reading blog I am learning many new things for next time.  Does anyone know if this insurance will be adequate.  I thought that the cruise line would choose a plan that would cover covid but don't see that exact statement in the outline, just medical care. I see from reading that most people use private travel insurance.

I'm in a situation where I use a 3rd party annual policy that covers a year worth of travel.  That being said, in looking over a number of companies, what I've found out that covid endorsements issued by  an insurance company is controlled by the state where the policy holder has  residency.  Travel insurance regs are different across state lines.    In some states, an insurance company may not be able to issue the covid endorsement, other states allow.    The insurance offered by the cruise line is a pass through to an actual travel insurance provider governed by state regs.  So you just need to be aware what you're able to get - whether purchasing from a cruise line or directly from a 3rd party.   Its stated in the limitation page of the policy.   Some TA's have knowledge in that area and may also be able to help with understanding any policy limitation.

There's nothing wrong with Royal Caribbean's travel insurance, but you should be aware not all travel insurance is the same.

Just like auto insurance, there are different types of coverages and benefits. Travel insurance is not like flood insurance, where it's "one size fits all".

I would recommend looking into what the travel insurance covers, and what it does not cover. Make sure it would kick in when you would expect it to. The biggest mistake people make with travel insurance is buying the first plan they find and then are disappointed later it did not include the scenario they ran into.