Pre-cruise hotel stay in Amsterdam

Pratty

Good day, all!

I will (hopefully) be cruising from Amsterdam to Barcelona in September of next year, and I’m looking for recommendations for hotels near the cruise terminal. We’d like to spend a few days in Amsterdam prior to cruising. Has anyone had a good experience at any hotels in the area, that they would recommend? I’m not looking for anything too expensive - just something nice, clean, and with a friendly and attentive staff. 

Thanks in advance!

Me three.  We are on the 9-4-22 TA (Voyager) from Copenhagen to Boston.  We are also on the 8-19-22 Jewel British Isles cruise which is RT Amsterdam.  So we will end the Jewel cruise in Amsterdam on 8-31-22 and have 5 days to get to Copenhagen for the Voyager TA.

So we need recommendations for both Amsterdam and Copenhagen plus ideas for getting from Amsterdam to Copenhagen.

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Me three.  We are on the 9-4-22 TA (Voyager) from Copenhagen to Boston.  We are also on the 8-19-22 Jewel British Isles cruise which is RT Amsterdam.  So we will end the Jewel cruise in Amsterdam on 8-31-22 and have 5 days to get to Copenhagen for the Voyager TA.

So we need recommendations for both Amsterdam and Copenhagen plus ideas for getting from Amsterdam to Copenhagen.

Ohhhh I had my eye on that British Isles on jewel. That’s a 12 nighter right? Right after that is the 9 night Norwegian Fjords and then a 10 night repositioning Amsterdam to Barcelona. Now THAT would be an awesome b2b2b. I had those written down for a possible 2023. Not all 3 but possibly 2 of them as a b2b. I’ll be waiting for your live blog! 

We’re looking to do a British isles in the month of July and try to tie it in with The British Open. That would probably require Anthem out of Southampton. So that would leave Jewel for fjords and repo. A girl can dream! The Baltic’s is also on the radar. 

We have stayed at each of these two hotels multiple times while cruising from/to Amsterdam.  Both are very conveniently located and are great if you do not have any mobility issues.  You can walk to the ship or take the tram that runs along the waterfront.  You can take trains and trams anywhere from this area, and if you don't mind walking, you can tour the main parts of town on foot.

Hotel ibis Amsterdam Centre : https://all.accor.com/hotel/1556/index.en.shtml

DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station : https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/amscsdi-doubletree-amsterdam-centraal-station/

13 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Sleeper on the overnight train from Amsterdam to Copenhagen leaves around 1800 arrives the next day about 1000 hrs          https://www.bahn.com/en

We stayed at the Eden Hotel in Amsterdam.  It was great and centrally located. Very near a stop for the water taxis.

https://www.edenhotelamsterdam.com/en/ 

We also used Rudy's taxi service for reserving from the airport to the hotel, from the hotel to the cruise ship port, and finally from the cruise ship port to the airport.  We were extremely happy we had a driver waiting when we got off the cruise ship because customs was very delayed in clearing us and we had an early flight.  Many people in the same position had to wait in line for a taxi. 

https://rudystaxicompany.nl/

The hotel was just down the street from the Ice Bar which we tried and had a great time. 

https://www.xtracold.com/

Also we recommend Freddy's Bar a short walk from the hotel.  They had a piano player that we enjoyed immensely.

https://www.deleurope.com/freddys-bar/

20 hours ago, Pratty said:

Good day, all!

I will (hopefully) be cruising from Amsterdam to Barcelona in September of next year, and I’m looking for recommendations for hotels near the cruise terminal. We’d like to spend a few days in Amsterdam prior to cruising. Has anyone had a good experience at any hotels in the area, that they would recommend? I’m not looking for anything too expensive - just something nice, clean, and with a friendly and attentive staff. 

Thanks in advance!

Me too!  We fly into Amsterdam in August for our (Jewel) British Isles cruise and was wanting something near the cruise terminal also.

20 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We are on the same 8-19-22 cruise!

On 10/7/2021 at 10:56 AM, Pratty said:

Good day, all!

Thanks in advance!

Hi!  We stayed in Amsterdam before and after our "British Isles Cruise" three years ago.  We chose Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam before the cruise because it is literally located right at the cruise port.  The hotel is also a short walk to the central train station so we had easy access to most areas of Amsterdam.  The Movenpick reminds me of the Hilton Hotel chain in the U.S. by comparison.  We tend to stay in "bargain" places so the Movenpick was a splurge for us as it was somewhat expensive.  We would stay their again without hesitation if we are fortunate enough to visit beautiful Amsterdam again.  

After the cruise we spent additional time in Amsterdam but stayed at the Hotel Herbergh, out near Schiphol Airport, which was smaller and very quaint.  The Herbergh offered a small brick house, on the property, which we rented for a few days - it was adorable!  Although we loved our stay at the Herbergh we grew tired of having to use a shuttle and train to get back into the city.

I hope this is helpful and that you have a wonderful time in Amsterdam and your upcoming cruise!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 2:46 PM, Starwalker said:

Hi!  We stayed in Amsterdam before and after our "British Isles Cruise" three years ago.  We chose Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam before the cruise because it is literally located right at the cruise port.  The hotel is also a short walk to the central train station so we had easy access to most areas of Amsterdam.  The Movenpick reminds me of the Hilton Hotel chain in the U.S. by comparison.  We tend to stay in "bargain" places so the Movenpick was a splurge for us as it was somewhat expensive.  We would stay their again without hesitation if we are fortunate enough to visit beautiful Amsterdam again.  

After the cruise we spent additional time in Amsterdam but stayed at the Hotel Herbergh, out near Schiphol Airport, which was smaller and very quaint.  The Herbergh offered a small brick house, on the property, which we rented for a few days - it was adorable!  Although we loved our stay at the Herbergh we grew tired of having to use a shuttle and train to get back into the city.

I hope this is helpful and that you have a wonderful time in Amsterdam and your upcoming cruise!

We are doing our British Isles Cruise in August 2022 and we decided to book Movenpick Hotel due to the location to the port.  I am so happy to hear your experience as it makes me feel like a made a good choice.  I felt like the price wasn't bad at all for the location $301.42 (fees & taxes included) for a Classic King View with breakfast included.

• 1 year later...