Vancouver hotels near port.

Kathleen

We are scheduled to sail from Vacouver Oct 2022 (fingers crossed Vancouver is back to being a cruise port then!). We generally book Hyatt Regency when we can as our son is an employee and often times the discount is too good to pass up. It appears Vancouver has a Hyatt downtown. How far from the port is the Hyatt. We will be there 2 days. Is there another hotel you would recommend that might make it even more special since this is my first time in Vancouver. Everyone's expertise is welcome, especially all the Canadian expertise!!

Hyatt downtown is very close to the pier. Couple blocks away. For the ultimate Vancouver cruise experience I always recommend staying at the Pan Pacific which is literally above the cruise ship terminal. If you get a harbour view room you can look down onto the lido deck of your ship in the morning when you get up. The hotel is pricey though.

We have stayed at the Hyatt Regency mid town, which is an excellent location. It is a super nice hotel.

It is probably about 7 or 8 blocks from the cruise terminal as I remember.  it is also right next to the Sky Train. Get on the Sky Train and go one stop to Gas Town where many restaurants and attractions are. 

We are on the Ovation May 5th, 2022 cruise and have decided to stay at Pan Pacific this time which is at the Cruise port. We hopefully will see our ship outside our window before boarding in the morning. 

1 hour ago, Phillip Diamond Plus said:

We have stayed at the Hyatt Regency mid town, which is an excellent location. It is a super nice hotel.

It is probably about 7 or 8 blocks from the cruise terminal as I remember.  it is also right next to the Sky Train. Get on the Sky Train and go one stop to Gas Town where many restaurants and attractions are. 

We are on the Ovation May 5th, 2022 cruise and have decided to stay at Pan Pacific this time which is at the Cruise port. We hopefully will see our ship outside our window before boarding in the morning. 

If you look out the window of Pan Pacific and don't see it, I'd be concerned 🙂

(well, look out SOME window of the Pan Pacific. Maybe not your room window depending on where you're facing)

2 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I looked at the Pan Pacific.  A room for one night was $350.  That's expensive, but I might have been willing to pay it, except that the taxes/fees added another $140/night. 

Yikes. I've had the same thing happen when looking for AirBNB rentals in the mountains before - $150/night, but after taxes and cleaning fees it winds up closer to $300/night, which is just ridiculous for most of the places I'm usually booking.

14 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I looked at the Pan Pacific.  A room for one night was $350.  That's expensive, but I might have been willing to pay it, except that the taxes/fees added another $140/night. 

If the rate included breakfast, worth it. The buffet is normally $50+ on its own. 

6 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

If the rate included breakfast, worth it. The buffet is normally $50+ on its own. 

I'm so "meh" about breakfast that that wouldn't make it worth it to me. I typically don't even start eating until 1 or 2pm daily.  But maybe the spouse would want to. Thanks!

** just checked - that rate does not include breakfast.

35 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

There's no option to check in on a Saturday night (ever) and no option for a one-night stay 😞.  Kind of weird for a hotel.

That is weird.  The only thing I can think of is maybe it's sold out or blocked?  And are the dates over Victoria Day weekend (May 20-23)?  That's a holiday in Canada and might be another reason...

I noticed the same thing at the Intercontinental Miami for March 11-13th weekend.  I booked a 2 night stay months ago and at the time there was an option for just a Saturday night stay only.  Now the one night stay is no longer an option.

9 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That is weird.  The only thing I can think of is maybe it's sold out or blocked?  And are the dates over Victoria Day weekend (May 20-23)?  That's a holiday in Canada and might be another reason...

No, it's literally that there are no Saturdays even on the booking calendar in any month.

5 hours ago, CruisingOz said:

We stayed and really enjoyed the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver 900 West Georgia Street

It was about four blocks up from the cruise terminal and we found it a nice walk and close to restaurants and bars, shopping centre and grocery stores.  

I agree with @CruisingOz! Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is lovely! It offers the quintessential Vancouver view of city, sea and mountains! Plus the gargoyles will protect you!

On 10/7/2021 at 10:19 PM, CruisingOz said:

We stayed and really enjoyed the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver 900 West Georgia Street

It was about four blocks up from the cruise terminal and we found it a nice walk and close to restaurants and bars, shopping centre and grocery stores.  

That is a great property too, but if proximity to the port and water is a main criteria, you cannot beat Fairmont Waterfront or Fairmont Pacific Rim.

The one on Georgia Street is great if you want the city feel and the amenities to go with it. I sort of think of it like staying in the Brickell area of Miami (which is great) vs right on the water at the Intercontinental Miami. Just depends what you want. 

If you want a stellar hotel experience (miles and miles better than the Pan or Waterfront) try the Fairmont Pacific Rim.   It’s a block away from the pier and is head and shoulders better than any other Fairmont property in town. 

The Pan is nice but dated and in need of an upgrade - and same with the waterfront.   Pacific Rim is relatively new and the facilities and rooms are spectacular.