How long does it take you to break your pre-cruise diet once you board the ship?

levib2

I've been looking at the delicious food photos for RC ships online, and realize that I do the same thing every cruise....Watch my diet before a cruise, lose some weight so my clothes will fit for cruise, and then go crazy eating and drinking once we are onboard including bread, pasta, ice cream, etc. My thinking is "It's vacation time....Enjoy it!   Love the morning mimosas, wine with lunch and dinner, frozen drinks or mojitos at pool and martinis or mixed drinks in the evening.

My husband who is a 79 year old personal trainer always eats healthy foods at home.  He eats/drinks more on a cruise, but still keeps things under control.  Usually has a good breakfast, very light lunch and regular dinner portions with lighter choices. Most days he doesn't drink until his pre-dinner martini.  

I really would like to eat/drink healthier on cruise, but know this will never happen.   Wondering how many others do the diet before cruise/overeat and drink once onboard. 

I am really, no really, honest I’m trying!!! To diet for our March cruise.  I retired in January and that coupled with what I loving call the “Covid 19” has not been good for my weight.  I am currently down 12 pounds. We took a short trip last week and I did not diet but we only ate 2 meals a day, I didn’t snack & we did a ton of walking.  Came back about 1.5 up which I lost in a few days. Back to the diet (doing WW) and am hoping for 25 by March.  It’s not a lot for the time I have but takes into consideration the holidays & a few short trips.  It’s a process.😚  I will NOT diet on the cruise!

Maybe because I am already fat, lol, I have never gained weight after a vacation. I think it is because I am always at least twice as active. I don't diet, the whole diet thing is bad imho. I try to maintain a healthy relationship with food as a general rule. Everything is okay in moderation. When I vacation, I enjoy, as it is a break from my every day rotation. I think the major thing is I am not a drinker, maybe 1 to 2 alcoholic drinks on vacation and not every day. Regularly I can go months without picking up a drink. Drinks are where you pick up the pounds🤣

From July 2020 to September 4, 2021, I was on a strict Keto diet... then the Allure sailing happened.  Good thing I no longer had carb cravings so I was able to keep a rather lenient Keto diet, or should I say, a low carb diet,  while on board.  A few slices of pizza here and there, a bite of dessert, some sugar in the mocktails were some "freedoms" I enjoyed.  Gained some 4 lbs on a 7-night cruise but lost them within a week after the cruise.

The story's all here:  

I lost a good amount of weight through Covid and I admittedly haven’t been dieting during the cruise at all. Breaks are good - I’m looking forward to getting back on track next week. 

I will say I’ve been wearing my Fitbit and we have been getting 10k+ steps a day and have worked out during the cruise - so there’s that! 

Honestly, I find the food pretty mediocre so it's easy for me to eat fairly reasonable portions. It's also really easy to load up on fruits and veggies, and I walk a TON. I've never even seen the inside of an elevator on a cruise ship. And I do a daily run on sea days, and often on port days too. 

Alcohol, however? Oh boy, watch out. 

Lose weight on a cruise:

I somehow lost about 3 pounds on my 7 day cruise last month. And I ate and drank a lot!!!. Go figure?

I believe that I lost some weight because I was so active each day. I am much more active during a sailing week than I usually am at home. My "fitbit" proves that.

And, a lot of the foods that I ate may have been healthy choices??? (Except the desserts! Ha Ha) 

So maybe cruising will not be so bad for your diet???

I'm doing a dietbet right now and it ends right at the start of my cruise in about 2 weeks.  I'm being really good now, but it all goes out the window once I step foot on the ship.  I'll probably gain it all back during the week, but oh well.  It's vacation and I'm going to enjoy the drinks and food!  I'm hoping walking around the world's largest cruise ship helps offset some of the calories consumed lol

25 minutes ago, Pooch said:

3 days in Baltimore to watch the Sox.  According to my Fitbit we walked 29+ miles!

Every time you moved your arms to applaud the Sox counted as a step. Given how bad the Orioles were this season, that alone could have accounted for several miles per game.

We got the unlimited dining package so I anticipate boarding the ship and HELLO JOHNNY ROCKETS burger and shake.

Let the indulgences commence.

In general I'm progressing towards a healthier body for me (last few months have exercised more and shed some extra poundage) but cruises are ALWAYS a guilt-free zone. I am not going to count calories or fret on some of the most joy-filled times of my life. 

3 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

From July 2020 to September 4, 2021, I was on a strict Keto diet... then the Allure sailing happened.  Good thing I no longer had carb cravings so I was able to keep a rather lenient Keto diet, or should I say, a low carb diet,  while on board.  A few slices of pizza here and there, a bite of dessert, some sugar in the mocktails were some "freedoms" I enjoyed.  Gained some 4 lbs on a 7-night cruise but lost them within a week after the cruise.

The story's all here:  

Thanks for sharing this with all of us!  Should be an interesting read.

1 hour ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Every time you moved your arms to applaud the Sox counted as a step. Given how bad the Orioles were this season, that alone could have accounted for several miles per game.

Oh no, Sox absolutely sucked in Baltimore.  Happy but not really sure how they beat the Yankees in the wild card game.  Definitely was NOT the same team we saw.

• 3 months later...

On Oasis?  Straight to their roast beef sandwhich. 

On my November Anthem I went to the windjammer on boarding day and they had fresh shrimp cocktail. I've never gone to windjammer on boarding day, so was shocked at that option!

When I sailed solo I made a point that there was to be no bread basket on the dinner table (I was disappointed the waiter insisted to bring it every night and I had to turn them down every night-usually the waiter listens).  I also hit the gym daily on my solo cruises. 

I add fresh fruit to my breakfast and have fresh omelets-egg white-
I will splurge on biscuits with gravy-only if they are good-as that is something I would never make.
Dinner it's worth it to have the desserts I would never make at home (creme brulee, grand marnier soufle and the apple blossom!!).
Most of my calories come from the alcohol.  One cruise I drank vodka, seltzer, splash of cranberry and noticed a lot less alcohol bloat (since I cut out all the fruity alcohol drinks).

I've watched my kids have the ice cream at the pool for years. This month I tried it and eeewwww I'll never have that again.  Whatever I have needs to be "worth it".

I find  solo sailing to be a lot more healthy for me.  Getting caught up with family/friends and what they eat/drink is a weakness for me.

We actually eat healthier when on a cruise. 

Ever since our kids moved out, my wife and I have basically stopped the family mealtime we made a priority with the kids.  We are both working a lot of strange and opposite hours, so a lot of our meals are grab from the frig and go.   Cruising gives us an opportunity to slow down and eat actual meals together.  

• 2 years later...

5 min or less I can make it from deck 5 to the Boardwalk Doghouse for 2 hotdogs and a beer. I am otherwise very aware and on top of my health walking 25k+ steps per day (cruise or no cruise) and consistent Peloton rides keep things in check. I don’t bother dieting because it’s overrated. IMHO it’s ok to eat what you want and get control of yourself by not overeating. It’s all mental.