Questions about our Anthem cruise from Cape Liberty

My family and I have been cruising for over 10yrs. But this will only be our second RCCL cruise and the first time from Cape Liberty.

I've been doing a lot of research, but I unclear about a few things:

With regards to dining plans and specialty dining - if we purchase the dining plan, it appears that we cannot book a reservation until we board. I'm concerned that by the time we board, the reservations will not be available for the restaurants that we want and therefore, we would have no need for the dining plan.

-So, would it be possible to cancel and get a full refund for the dining plan if we decide we no longer want it when we board?

-Or would it be possible to book the dining ahead of time and ask them to use these reservations for the dining plan and then just refund the payments made for the bookings?

-If we don't like the courtesy booking made for the dining plan, can we cancel or change that booking?

With regards to entertainment 

-What time is the shows/entertaiment generally each evening? Are they usually between 7-11pm each night?

With regards to Cape Liberty

-Since we're cruising in Dec, has schedules (leaving port etc) been affected by the weather?

-Are the RCCL cruise transfers reliable?

-Any suggestions for hotels at the airport before using the cruise transfers?

With regards to Covid testings required to return home (from Canada)

-RCCL states on their website that they provide tests for return home, but it doesn't specifically say it's a PCR test that's required for Canada. Is it specified somewhere? And is this difficult to book? Should it be something we do as soon as we board?

I have to admit, we're a little nervous departing from Cape Liberty since we've never been in NJ and it'll be in winter. 

I'm sure I have many more questions....

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

24 minutes ago, cruiserccl said:

With regards to entertainment 

-What time is the shows/entertaiment generally each evening? Are they usually between 7-11pm each night?

Yes, that's typically the time frame. One early showing, one late showing.

-RCCL states on their website that they provide tests for return home, but it doesn't specifically say it's a PCR test that's required for Canada. Is it specified somewhere? And is this difficult to book? Should it be something we do as soon as we board?

Yes, it's the PCR test, they'll send info to your stateroom a few days before you have to schedule it.

I have to admit, we're a little nervous departing from Cape Liberty since we've never been in NJ and it'll be in winter.

We sailed out of Cape Liberty a few years ago. It was March, but it had dumped snow a few days prior - there were still massive snow drifts at the hotel we stayed at (and at the port) but we got off without a hitch.

21 minutes ago, GKMCruising said:

Yes, that's typically the time frame. One early showing, one late showing.

Yes, it's the PCR test, they'll send info to your stateroom a few days before you have to schedule it.

We sailed out of Cape Liberty a few years ago. It was March, but it had dumped snow a few days prior - there were still massive snow drifts at the hotel we stayed at (and at the port) but we got off without a hitch.

Thanks!

So can I assume that with a 6:30pm dinner reservation, we will be able to still the main evening show?

I appreciate the info on the PCR test. I've contacted RCCL through email and they haven't responded. I just want to make sure that I can get the testing before flying home. 

And glad to here that weather is not an issue. We've only cruised in warm locations so it'll be very interesting to see snow on the ship.

39 minutes ago, cruiserccl said:

Thanks!

So can I assume that with a 6:30pm dinner reservation, we will be able to still the main evening show?

I appreciate the info on the PCR test. I've contacted RCCL through email and they haven't responded. I just want to make sure that I can get the testing before flying home. 

And glad to here that weather is not an issue. We've only cruised in warm locations so it'll be very interesting to see snow on the ship.

I might go a tad earlier for dinner, but again, it all depends on the ship and exactly what shows are running.

Keep an eye on the cruise compass section on this website once she returns to Bayonne for updated cruise compassess.  

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass?ship=435

From them you'll be able to see show times and typical event times.

I've cruised on Anthem twice in December and twice in January.  I'm more nervous about the plane having snow delays than the ship.  One winter storm can mess up flights along the East coast for days.  

For dining packages, you can book the times for dining when you board the ship. By then you will have the entertainment schedule on the app. Entertainment in the past has been scheduled around traditional dining room times of 5:30 and 8:00 PM. Anthem sometimes has matinee shows on sea days as well. 

5 hours ago, cruiserccl said:

I have to admit, we're a little nervous departing from Cape Liberty since we've never been in NJ and it'll be in winter. 

I'm sure I have many more questions....

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

The Healthy Sail Center | Healthy & Safe Cruises | Royal Caribbean Cruises   A few days into the cruise you will be able to schedule your PCR test to return to Canada.

Dining reservations- super easy, go to any specialty restaurant when you get onboard, bring your planner/schedule with you.  Spend a few minutes with the staff at any specialty restaurant and they can set up the rest of your reservations for the rest of your cruise.  

12 hours ago, twangster said:

Keep an eye on the cruise compass section on this website once she returns to Bayonne for updated cruise compassess.  

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass?ship=435

From them you'll be able to see show times and typical event times.

I've cruised on Anthem twice in December and twice in January.  I'm more nervous about the plane having snow delays than the ship.  One winter storm can mess up flights along the East coast for days.  

Thanks! I will watch for the updated cruise compass.

I'm also worried about flights and was hoping we can drive instead. We're planning to arrive 1 or 2 days prior for that reason if we need to fly.

12 hours ago, Mrs. RoyalMoyal said:

For dining packages, you can book the times for dining when you board the ship. By then you will have the entertainment schedule on the app. Entertainment in the past has been scheduled around traditional dining room times of 5:30 and 8:00 PM. Anthem sometimes has matinee shows on sea days as well. 

Thanks! I'm glad it doesn't seem to be difficult to book dining onboard. Just not used to waiting to book while onboard.

We have My Time Dining so perhaps I can just plan for dining around one of scheduled dining.

9 hours ago, emmef said:

The Healthy Sail Center | Healthy & Safe Cruises | Royal Caribbean Cruises   A few days into the cruise you will be able to schedule your PCR test to return to Canada.

Dining reservations- super easy, go to any specialty restaurant when you get onboard, bring your planner/schedule with you.  Spend a few minutes with the staff at any specialty restaurant and they can set up the rest of your reservations for the rest of your cruise.  

Thanks for reassurance of PCR test. That's one of my concerns since I'm getting conflicting answers from RCCL on the phone, but I'm not getting any response with email.

Glad to hear dining is easy to book onboard.

I’m in NJ and close to the port. I sail on the Anthem out of Bayonne over the winters. It’s the perfect ship for sailing out of New York harbor in cold weather. The Solarium is completely enclosed in glass and climate controlled. So is the large indoor family pool. And the indoor SeaPlex is great! It usually takes about a day and a half to get to a warmer climate where you can lounge on the sundeck and enjoy the outdoor pool.

I don’t want to jinx it but…here in NJ, December snow storms are not the norm. They do happen occasionally but rarely severe, and there is typically advance warning so crews are ready to plow and clear.  

As mentioned above, dining packages do not allow pre-reserving…but there is usually availability when you board. They will not allow all of the reservations to be taken before embarkation day. Just go to any restaurant host with your list and they’ll do their best. Have back-up times ready just in case. However, if you do wish to guarantee your preferred restaurant time…just make the individual reservations on the Cruise Planner. It will cost a bit more than the package but you will have peace of mind that the reservation is booked. As to your question, you can cancel your Cruise Planner purchase and get a refund if you wish to cancel the dining package. Also, the courtesy booking that comes with the dining package is just a placeholder and you can change it onboard. **reservations are dependent upon the health safety protocols in effect at the time…in case distancing measures are still in effect.

The main entertainment shows ‘We Will Rock You’  and ‘The Gift’ in the Royal Theater and ‘Spectra’s Cabaret’ in Two70 perform several times during the seven day sailing, usually each show performs once a day on several days. The time of the shows may change…We Will Rock You also does a matinee showing. All of them…in my opinion…are wonderful, not to be missed. Enjoy your cruise!

2 hours ago, BrianB said:

I’m in NJ and close to the port. I sail on the Anthem out of Bayonne over the winters. It’s the perfect ship for sailing out of New York harbor in cold weather. The Solarium is completely enclosed in glass and climate controlled. So is the large indoor family pool. And the indoor SeaPlex is great! It usually takes about a day and a half to get to a warmer climate where you can lounge on the sundeck and enjoy the outdoor pool.

I don’t want to jinx it but…here in NJ, December snow storms are not the norm. They do happen occasionally but rarely severe, and there is typically advance warning so crews are ready to plow and clear.  

As mentioned above, dining packages do not allow pre-reserving…but there is usually availability when you board. They will not allow all of the reservations to be taken before embarkation day. Just go to any restaurant host with your list and they’ll do their best. Have back-up times ready just in case. However, if you do wish to guarantee your preferred restaurant time…just make the individual reservations on the Cruise Planner. It will cost a bit more than the package but you will have peace of mind that the reservation is booked. As to your question, you can cancel your Cruise Planner purchase and get a refund if you wish to cancel the dining package. Also, the courtesy booking that comes with the dining package is just a placeholder and you can change it onboard. **reservations are dependent upon the health safety protocols in effect at the time…in case distancing measures are still in effect.

The main entertainment shows ‘We Will Rock You’  and ‘The Gift’ in the Royal Theater and ‘Spectra’s Cabaret’ in Two70 perform several times during the seven day sailing, usually each show performs once a day on several days. The time of the shows may change…We Will Rock You also does a matinee showing. All of them…in my opinion…are wonderful, not to be missed. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks so much!

I feel less nervous - especially about the dining and entertainment bookings. It's great to hear from all the RCCL experts about their experience. It's not as clear reading through the RCCL website.

I'm getting more excited each day!

I'm definitely taking notes!

We have sailed from Bayonne over New Year's, weather was chilly leaving NYC, and rainy on the way back.  No issues, and if you are on Anthem like we were,  the ship is well designed and has an abundance of indoor space and activities.  We are sailing on Oasis in a couple of weeks and Anthem again in January, both from Bayonne.  We will drive or take the train, the airlines are a little unpredictable right now. 

It's super easy to make dining reservations, just do it as soon as you get on board.  There will be multiple people waiting at the promenade/esplanade area that can take your reservations.   If for some reason you don't get the reservations you wanted, you can always go to Guest Services and have them cancel the package for you.   Several years ago we had a 3 nt dining package and decided after a couple of days we weren't going to use it more than once.  Guest Services cancelled for us so that might be another option for you. 

You should be able to make other reservations in the App.   The calendar will show you times and availability once you get on the ship.  

23 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

We have sailed from Bayonne over New Year's, weather was chilly leaving NYC, and rainy on the way back.  No issues, and if you are on Anthem like we were,  the ship is well designed and has an abundance of indoor space and activities.  We are sailing on Oasis in a couple of weeks and Anthem again in January, both from Bayonne.  We will drive or take the train, the airlines are a little unpredictable right now. 

It's super easy to make dining reservations, just do it as soon as you get on board.  There will be multiple people waiting at the promenade/esplanade area that can take your reservations.   If for some reason you don't get the reservations you wanted, you can always go to Guest Services and have them cancel the package for you.   Several years ago we had a 3 nt dining package and decided after a couple of days we weren't going to use it more than once.  Guest Services cancelled for us so that might be another option for you. 

You should be able to make other reservations in the App.   The calendar will show you times and availability once you get on the ship.  

Thank you for the information.

Definitely sounds like my concern in booking onboard is unfounded. I'm glad I have some flexibility with regards to dining reservations. I don't recall paying for dining reservations ahead of time for my other cruises. So it makes me nervous that I may not be able to get a refund, should we not get our preferred booking. 

I don't think I would be so worried if we didn't have to pay until we get onboard.

As far as Bayonne...I would love to just drive there from Canada, but until our land border opens, we are stuck with flying and that's a concern for us. We've only taken a connecting flight out of Newark once before and we went directly to the next gate so I don't remember if there were any delays. We will arrive a day or two before just in case.

On 10/6/2021 at 5:53 PM, cruiserccl said:

I will soon be boarding a different ship but the day I debark I am flying to Canada to deal with a pressing family issue that can't wait any longer.  Being on the cruise will make it very difficult to coordinate a PCR test for my entry into Canada.

I reached out to a management contact on the ship I know as a frequent cruiser.  They recently responded: 

Good morning, 

We will be able to assist you with PCR test on Day 7 - between 6:30am and 7:00am in the conference center deck 3. 
      The service is complementary. 

Upon boarding the ship head to guest services and talk with them about it.  They may use a different location on Anthem but they are keenly aware of the varying testing requirements around the world.  Keep in mind the crew on board come from all over the world so collectively they have themselves faced a myriad of testing just to get to the US to be on the ship.  This isn't something they have no experience with themselves.  

4 hours ago, twangster said:

I will soon be boarding a different ship but the day I debark I am flying to Canada to deal with a pressing family issue that can't wait any longer.  Being on the cruise will make it very difficult to coordinate a PCR test for my entry into Canada.

I reached out to a management contact on the ship I know as a frequent cruiser.  They recently responded: 

Good morning, 

We will be able to assist you with PCR test on Day 7 - between 6:30am and 7:00am in the conference center deck 3. 
      The service is complementary. 

Upon boarding the ship head to guest services and talk with them about it.  They may use a different location on Anthem but they are keenly aware of the varying testing requirements around the world.  Keep in mind the crew on board come from all over the world so collectively they have themselves faced a myriad of testing just to get to the US to be on the ship.  This isn't something they have no experience with themselves.  

Thanks so much for posting the information.

And I, completely, agree that they should be very much aware of the testing requirements, among other things. I think I'm just nervous about travelling outside Canada at this point, and I'm overly concerned about things that are not specifically stated on the website...

I'm so grateful for the information on these forums...it's not always easy to get direct info from RCCL.