Lost cabin while on the phone to change :(

Has this happened to anyone? I was on the phone to change my cabin to the studio balcony and as we were changing it, someone else booked it so I lost it. No more available. 

so frustrating. The rep was having trouble with her system running slowly which is even more frustrating because I was sitting there waiting while it loaded. Then we got disconnected. 

@SummerRoseIt happened to me 2 weeks ago while lots of people were looking at low prices in September 2022. This poor reps system was so bogged down I was able to view dates before he could:-(. 
You might call back and be pleasantly surprised to find it’s back in inventory.  I know it’s a pain but hope it works out for you. 

I've gone through this or similar with one cabin of a specific category available.  If anyone clicks on it it goes out of inventory until they move onto to something else.  If someone closes the browser window or uses the back button it can lock a cabin for 15 minutes.  Sometimes if you come back an hour later it's back again.  

While I can certainly understand the disappointment, I don’t think it’s on Royal for you not booking the room you “really wanted” originally.  As I tell everyone when helping them pick a cruise, you need to be happy with what you originally book, since that could be what you end up with.  You may be able to change rooms or get a lower price, but nothing is guaranteed.  

How we Cruise: We always book the cheapest room, which is generally an inside GTY room, and we’ve been able to reprice frequently to get some awesome deals and sometimes move to a “higher category” at the same price but we don’t really care about the cabin or location.  We've had times where we couldn't get the cabin we originally wanted and was able to rebook later.

Edited by Reigert2008
Edited for better clarity

10 hours ago, Reigert2008 said:

While I can certainly understand the disappointment, I don’t think it’s on Royal for you not booking the room you “really wanted” originally.  As I tell everyone when helping them pick a cruise, you need to be happy with what you originally book, since that could be what you end up with.  You may be able to change rooms or get a lower price, but nothing is guaranteed.  

we always book the cheapest room, which is generally an inside GTY room, and we’ve been able to reprice frequently to get some awesome deals and sometimes move to a “higher category” at the same price but we don’t really care about the room or location.

It wasn't available - otherwise I would've.  I've been checking the site every day hoping it would come available and it did so I jumped at it.  I was looking for one of the rare studio balcony rooms.

So it wasn't a price issue. I'm not sure what I said that triggered that response or that it had anything to do with price?

1 hour ago, SummerRose said:

It wasn't available - otherwise I would've.  I've been checking the site every day hoping it would come available and it did so I jumped at it.  I was looking for one of the rare studio balcony rooms.

So it wasn't a price issue. I'm not sure what I said that triggered that response or that it had anything to do with price?

@SummerRoseI apologize if i offended you.  I had no intention of doing that and was not tryign to  imply your situation had anything to do with price.  I have edited my original response for better clarity.  I was trying to add a section of "How we cruise" and left off the qualifier.  Since my wife and i are one of the rare cruisers that have no real interest in anything other than an inside cabin, I've received some "blow back" from some messages with people saying i didn't have enough experience to comment.  By adding the "how we cruise" section, i was hoping to explain what our personal cruise strategy is. 

I'm all for people traveling and doing things however they want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

Thanks.

Whenever I see a cabin that I really want…I click on it. That blocks it for about fifteen minutes. Then I call. Sometimes it’s frustrating when I call because I have to listen to the menus, press the numbers, more recordings, more pressing…then finally get to the sound of a ringing phone. Then……nothing. Start all over. 
So, when I get through and tell the agent that I’m the one who blocked it…they usually put me on hold so they can get a supervisor to confirm it was me and unblock it. This has happened frequently…and I never lost the cabin. Good luck!

9 hours ago, Reigert2008 said:

@SummerRoseI apologize if i offended you.  I had no intention of doing that and was not tryign to  imply your situation had anything to do with price.  I have edited my original response for better clarity.  I was trying to add a section of "How we cruise" and left off the qualifier.  Since my wife and i are one of the rare cruisers that have no real interest in anything other than an inside cabin, I've received some "blow back" from some messages with people saying i didn't have enough experience to comment.  By adding the "how we cruise" section, i was hoping to explain what our personal cruise strategy is. 

I'm all for people traveling and doing things however they want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

Thanks.

It’s your first paragraph that was problematic - not the one you edited.  FYI.

4 hours ago, Pooch said:

Poster apologized, most don’t bother.  Accept it and move on.

I understand, but apologizing for something that’s not a problem isn’t actually an apology. But it’s not worth arguing about, I was merely pointing out the actual problem for sincerity purposes. Good day. 

17 hours ago, twangster said:

Studio balcony are in very high demand.  Don't take it personal, someone beat you to it.  There are very few of them in the fleet.  

Ask to be waitlisted in case another pops open.

But they didn’t. That’s the frustrating part. I’ve been checking the site several times a day. Found one. If I had the ability to change my reservation myself instead of having to call I would’ve got it because I could’ve gone through the purchase in about 30 seconds as opposed to the 20-30 minutes it took for the rep. 

4 hours ago, SummerRose said:

But they didn’t. That’s the frustrating part. I’ve been checking the site several times a day. Found one. If I had the ability to change my reservation myself instead of having to call I would’ve got it because I could’ve gone through the purchase in about 30 seconds as opposed to the 20-30 minutes it took for the rep. 

Oh like airplane seats.  I've cruised this year or have booked cruises for MSC, Carnival, Celebrity and Princess.  None of them allow me to change my own cabin or category of cabin for a confirmed booking.  Cruise cabins are not like airplane seats.  It would be impossible for cruise lines to manage muster station capacity if guests were moving all over the ship at will.  Sorry... it doesn't work that way.  

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Oh like airplane seats.  I've cruised this year or have booked cruises for MSC, Carnival, Celebrity and Princess.  None of them allow me to change my own cabin or category of cabin for a confirmed booking.  Cruise cabins are not like airplane seats.  It would be impossible for cruise lines to manage muster station capacity if guests were moving all over the ship at will.  Sorry... it doesn't work that way.  

And that’s fine.  I guess I wasn’t expecting the rep’s systems to take 20-30 minutes to complete the task when time is of the essence.  And frankly, if the cabin shows as available on the website then it shouldn’t matter who is booking it if it’s an outsider or someone already on the boat.  Available is available so obviously the muster station capacity was ok since that exact cabin was available.  I could’ve booked it and canceled my other reservation and that doesn’t affect “muster station capacity”.  I’m sure there’s some other logical explanation as to why we can’t update our own cabins.

3 hours ago, SummerRose said:

I guess I wasn’t expecting the rep’s systems to take 20-30 minutes to complete the task when time is of the essence.  

That's not on you, as I have been saying for the last year and a half they are SO SLOW on the phone. This is why it sometimes takes me days to get things done, when I'm on the phone with them for 2 hours for one thing it really eats up my day (and another reason why I'm working at 7:30 on a Friday night). 

I hope you get your room, but you can ask for it to be waitlisted. Good luck!