Main Dining Room Breakfast?

Vlad

Guys, could anyone explain 

How's breakfast now in main dining room? 

Is is like before? 

Buffet style still available? 

Or what changed with new rules? 

Will be traveling on Oasis, wondering where's better for breakfast, Main Dining Room or Windjammer 

1 hour ago, Vlad said:

Guys, could anyone explain 

How's breakfast now in main dining room? 

Is is like before? 

Buffet style still available? 

Or what changed with new rules? 

Will be traveling on Oasis, wondering where's better for breakfast, Main Dining Room or Windjammer 

It may depend on the ship, but currently on Serenade it is table service only.

2 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

MDR breakfast was a combination in the pre-covid era. They had a few items available but I believe you had to order your mains. 

Thanks, but I'm very aware what was precovid. Was there hundreds of times. 

I'm asking of right now... 

I just got off Harmony on Sunday. MDR breakfast was table service only. No buffet. Supposedly bookings were required and we did book in the app but had no trouble getting a slot, even when we booked at bedtime the day before.

In case you're interested, they have a few new items on the menu that weren't there pre-Covid. I tried the Market Vegetable Breakfast Bowl, which was quite nice but far too much food for me first thing in the morning. I enjoyed trying something new, though.

P_20210928_093421_p.thumb.jpg.899c247c7c72fef32b8666ff69885711.jpg

I liked the MDR but the rest of my family preferred the WJ because they need to see the food to know what they're getting (Europeans with limited English). My SIL ordered the Breakfast Burrito, thinking she was getting scrambled eggs with chorizo and was amazed at what she actually got! She did say it was good, though. 😋

The WJ food was good too but I noticed there was definitely less variety than pre-pandemic.

7 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I just got off Harmony on Sunday. MDR breakfast was table service only. No buffet. Supposedly bookings were required and we did book in the app but had no trouble getting a slot, even when we booked at bedtime the day before.

In case you're interested, they have a few new items on the menu that weren't there pre-Covid. I tried the Market Vegetable Breakfast Bowl, which was quite nice but far too much food for me first thing in the morning. I enjoyed trying something new, though.

P_20210928_093421_p.thumb.jpg.899c247c7c72fef32b8666ff69885711.jpg

I liked the MDR but the rest of my family preferred the WJ because they need to see the food to know what they're getting (Europeans with limited English). My SIL ordered the Breakfast Burrito, thinking she was getting scrambled eggs with chorizo and was amazed at what she actually got! She did say it was good, though. 😋

The WJ food was good too but I noticed there was definitely less variety than pre-pandemic.

Yes, that's what I thought... MDR without buffet isn't the same breakfast. Guess Windjammer is the best option. Since like to have a bit of everything. Can't order that at table service. 

2 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Yes, that's what I thought... MDR without buffet isn't the same breakfast. Guess Windjammer is the best option. Since like to have a bit of everything. Can't order that at table service. 

Yup, I guess that's your best option. I liked the buffet in the MDR too. Maybe it will come back when Covid is finally behind us. Fingers crossed.

18 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

There was a buffet in the MDR for breakfast ?  I don't remember that at all....but it's been a really long time since I had a MDR breakfast.

Yep.  Pretty similar to what the WJ offered but in the MDR.  Upon seating you could head to the MDR buffet tables or do cook to order.  

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Yep.  Pretty similar to what the WJ offered but in the MDR.  Upon seating you could head to the MDR buffet tables or do cook to order.  

Similar, but not the same! 

I'm my opinion some items in MDR buffet were better prepared, better quality and made to order items were also better than Windjammer... 

I know many preferred it over having breakfast in Windjammer... 

5 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Similar, but not the same! 

I'm my opinion some items in MDR buffet were better prepared, better quality and made to order items were also better than Windjammer... 

I know many preferred it over having breakfast in Windjammer... 

It all comes from the same galley, but okay.

4 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

My reaction exactly.  We never saw one on Ovation in the summer of 2019.

All ships and always... 

I've been on Anthem, and that's same class. Been on much smaller ships. And on 3 oasis ships, all had breakfast buffet in dining room. But waiters were there as well. So it was mixed style. 

On 10/7/2021 at 5:56 AM, Ampurp85 said:

I hated the Windjammer for breakfast, at least pre-covid, but getting bacon there was always justifiable.

I have to say, I disliked the Windjammer for breakfast too, P-C, but right now it’s quite lovely — fewer guests and no self-service is a win-win for me!

I had breakfast in the MDR most mornings on my cruise on Oasis at the end of September, and it wasn't bad; I don't know if it was my bad luck or what, though, but ordering my eggs scrambled was not good. They were not very firmly cooked. 🤢 Other days, though, I ordered an omelet (or two), and had much better results. I just made sure to also always ask for a double-order of my side items.

In the Windjammer, it was a really good experience -- except for the wait time for my omelet.

Overall, I'd do both options again, especially armed with the breakfast intel I gathered from my previous cruise.

4 minutes ago, Chadster said:

I had breakfast in the MDR most mornings on my cruise on Oasis at the end of September, and it wasn't bad; I don't know if it was my bad luck or what, though, but ordering my eggs scrambled was not good. They were not very firmly cooked. 🤢 Other days, though, I ordered an omelet (or two), and had much better results. I just made sure to also always ask for a double-order of my side items.

In the Windjammer, it was a really good experience -- except for the wait time for my omelet.

Overall, I'd do both options again, especially armed with the breakfast intel I gathered from my previous cruise.

But my initial question was very specific... 

Was there buffet now in the MDR? 

2 minutes ago, Vlad said:

That's unfortunate... I'm sure it would return. Not sure why not now... Since Windjammer is same setup... 

Honestly, I think it comes down to staffing levels. A lot of the crew who worked in the MDR in the evening were turning around and working in the WJ in the mornings.

• 8 months later...
8 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Reviving this thread to ask...what are average times for MDR breakfast?

On my recent cruise on Odyssey it was 7 am to 9 am on some days and 7.30 am to 9.30 am on others. That was in Europe but I remember it being quite early on our past Caribbean sailings too. We are rarely up in time to make it.