Up, Up and Away - Coco Cay

Snotarni

Does anyone have any idea of what the "batting average" (number of times it's gone / number of times it's sold) is for the Hot Air Balloon ride at Coco Cay?  It seems like every time we've been to Coco Cay in the last couple years, it's been grounded.   We're going on Saturday (10/9) and have it booked...  weather not looking too good.  😉

Pre-pandemic I kept having my reservations cancelled.  Finally had my first success this year in July and have since seen the balloon up on a number of visits.  

Winds can be higher in the afternoon so I always try for morning reservations.  Once the sun comes up and afternoon storms start brewing I suspect reservations later in the day are more likely to cancel but I have no proof of that actually occurring.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Pre-pandemic I kept having my reservations cancelled.  Finally had my first success this year in July and have since seen the balloon up on a number of visits.  

Winds can be higher in the afternoon so I always try for morning reservations.  Once the sun comes up and afternoon storms start brewing I suspect reservations later in the day are more likely to cancel but I have no proof of that actually occurring.

Thanks...  we're booked for 9am so maybe we have a shot!  🤞

2 hours ago, Dlove707 said:

@Snotarni did it work out for you?

It did not...  I think we've never seen the Balloon actually fly 🙂    The winds at 100ft were a little too high for safety requirements.   The attendant did tell us that although we signed up for a specific time, they'll honor your reservation no matter what time you show up (would've been nice to know since we left the ship early to get there, and missed the call (into our room) that canceled the Balloon ride..  🙄 )   Also, he mentioned that the best chance for the Balloon to fly is during the Late Spring/Early Summer timeframe..  May/June/July. 

We're shooting for May now!!  

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to CocoCay twice in Sept and twice in October. The balloon was operating three of the four times. I don’t know if it was running (floating) all day…or if the wind shut it down…or lack of passengers. I went up in Sept when I was walking past and just went to the desk and inquired. It was me and three other guests. Beautiful ride, great views! But, that was during the limited capacity cruising and even the Beach Club was sparsely occupied.