WOW Bands - RFID

AyerJ003

On a side not I'd like to see them go ferther with this technology. Maybe tracking the movements of all cruisers to see what areas of the ship are utilized and what ones arnt, or analyze how well crowds disperse after a show.

I think a no brainer would be to be able to track if someone went overboard, and if so being able to track them in the ocean would help find them.

I think cruising is safe but the possibility of these bracelets making it safer is there.

On a side not I'd like to see them go ferther with this technology. Maybe tracking the movements of all cruisers to see what areas of the ship are utilized and what ones arnt, or analyze how well crowds disperse after a show.

I think a no brainer would be to be able to track if someone went overboard, and if so being able to track them in the ocean would help find them.

I think cruising is safe but the possibility of these bracelets making it safer is there.

If the bands have only NFC they need to be too close to transponders to know who is in what areas of the ship.  I'm not sure the technology behind them.  In Walt Disney World for example, Magic Bands have both NFC and longer range transponders (like toll systems use), and I'm confident they do watch crowd movements in that way.  As far as MOB uses go, these technologies wouldn't be able to locate someone in that way.  The basic idea with these systems is that if a given transponder is within range of a given station that is all it knows (in other words, your band is in the MDR because the MDR station sees it.

I'm not sure what kind of bands they were using on the kids on the Disney ships, but they were able to pinpoint which room within the clubs, which were all interconnected, the children were located in when going to pick them up.  In addition, they were useful in locating lost children.  How accurate they were, though, I don't know.

I'm not sure what kind of bands they were using on the kids on the Disney ships, but they were able to pinpoint which room within the clubs, which were all interconnected, the children were located in when going to pick them up.  In addition, they were useful in locating lost children.  How accurate they were, though, I don't know.

The bands DCL uses appear to be identical to the Magic Bands used in WDW.  I'd very much like to get ahold of one and tie it to my WDW Annual Pass.  Alas, they don't sell them, and look at you strangely when you ask.

I would imagine its fairly infrastructure intensive, all new locks on all the doors, tracking stations all over the ship, electrical connections, computer connections, etc. so probably not high on the list of items to add to an existing build vs. incorporate from scratch on a new build,

Good point. Door locks are all completely different, as are the SeaPass card readers because they are also RFID based.

HAHA! :) Booking Anthem was kind of a last minute decision so I don't know that it's all hit me quite yet ! Didn't think I'd be able to do this trip until well after my wedding.

I'll wait until it comes to Port Canaveral or Tampa (doubt this one).  I don't even want to drive to Ft. Lauderdale anymore...  Have fun and tell us all about it...

• 2 weeks later...

On Anthem at the moment, most people don't have Wow Bands, and staff seem to hate them, particularly in bars and at the pool deck (yes Anthem, in Canada and New England, is still insisting on checking towels in and out.

They're essentially "hidden" and I bet most guests don't even know it's an option.  Charging for them never made sense to me.

Also, the checking in/out of towels seems to have returned fleet-wide with a vengeance. 

I had heard somewhere (can't remember where) that the towel checkin/out is a sham....that they didn't really assign responsibility for the towel to you.  They pretend to charge your seapass card but it's a meaningless scan.  I guess they would do this to 'scare' you into bringing the towel(s) back.

I didn't give it another though until this past June when we were on Freedom.  We took 2 towels off the ship for an excursion and the bag, in which the towels were located, was inadvertently left in the cab (along with my water shoes and the sun screen...thank goodness that's all that was in there !).

We worried and plotted on how to get 2 replacement towels so that we wouldn't be charged.  Dan said he was going to go to the spa and get 2 and bring them back to the room.  In the end, we couldn't bring ourselves to cheat so we decided just to suffer the consequences and let them charge us for the towels.  To our great surprise - nada - nunca.  So, either the tale about the towel checkin/out being a sham is true, or they just took pity on us and didn't charge us.

On Navigator September last they wrote down your cabin number when you collected your towels and again when you returned them.

Would they marry the two entries up at the end of the day to see who has or who has not handed them back?

I doubt it. However, having said that why then put the guy with the clip board there anyway?