xSAILEDx Odyssey of the Seas - May 16, 2022 - May 25, 2022 (9 Night Greek Isles Cruise)

CMan

1 04/16/22  - Rome (Civitavecchia, Italy
2 04/17/22  - Naples (Capri), Italy
3 04/18/22  - Cruising
4 04/19/22   - Santorini, Greece
5 04/20/22  - Piraeus (Athens), Greece
6 04/21/22  - Mykonos, Greece
7 04/22/22  - Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey
8 04/23/22  - Souda (Chania), Crete
9 04/24/22  - Cruising
10 04/25/22  - Rome (Civitavecchia, Italy

Anyone else on this Date?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 11:44 AM, CMan said:

1 04/16/22  - Rome (Civitavecchia, Italy 2 04/17/22  - Naples (Capri), Italy 3 04/18/22  - Cruising 4 04/19/22   - Santorini, Greece 5 04/20/22  - Piraeus (Athens), Greece 6 04/21/22  - Mykonos, Greece 7 04/22/22  - Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey 8 04/23/22  - Souda (Chania), Crete 9 04/24/22  - Cruising 10 04/25/22  - Rome (Civitavecchia, Italy

Did you mean to say May or are you really sailing in April? We are sailing in May.

4 hours ago, FionaMG said:

We will be getting off the day you get on. It's a great itinerary. Ours differs from yours very slightly; we go to Rhodes instead of Athens. Very excited for this one.

If you don’t mind me asking, are you staying in a hotel or Airbnb prior to the cruise and how are you getting to the port? ie. Train, taxi. This is our first cruise leaving from another country and I’m trying to get a good feel for what I should be doing. Thanks

We are on the May 16-25, the only cruise I see that has Rhodes in the itinerary is the May 7-16. 

18 hours ago, ninejak said:

If you don’t mind me asking, are you staying in a hotel or Airbnb prior to the cruise and how are you getting to the port? ie. Train, taxi. This is our first cruise leaving from another country and I’m trying to get a good feel for what I should be doing. Thanks

We are on the May 16-25, the only cruise I see that has Rhodes in the itinerary is the May 7-16. 

Hi, sure no problem.

That's correct; we are on the 7th of May sailing.

We are staying two nights in Rome pre-cruise and are booked at the Hotel Lancelot https://www.lancelothotel.com/. We booked this particular hotel because it's in walking distance from the Colosseum, which we plan to visit during our stay. We have not stayed there before but the reviews are good, the price is reasonable and the owner has been very responsive, sending us all sorts of useful information. We had to provide a credit card to guarantee the booking but we don't actually pay until we arrive and we can cancel without penalty up to about 3 days before.

Since this is going to be your first visit, and especially if you are planning on visiting the Vatican, you might want to choose somewhere a bit closer to that. While I was doing my own research, I came across numerous recommendations for people to stay around the Piazza Navona, which appears to be in the historical centre, midway-ish between the Colosseum and the Vatican. Two hotels in that area which I have seen recommended repeatedly are the Albergo Senato https://www.albergodelsenato.it/, which is a more upscale place and the Hotel Smeraldo https://www.smeraldoroma.com/en/ a more modest option. Usually breakfast is included in the price or you have the option to add it on at a supplement. People don't really go out for breakfast in Europe, so unless you only want a coffee and a pastry from a coffee shop, hotel breakfasts are usually the best option.

I have read of people using Airbnb in Rome but I have no personal experience of it so can't give you any advice in that respect.

As far as transportation is concerned, I have not done it but it apparently is fairly simple and reasonably cheap to get from Rome Airport to the city centre and from the city centre to Civitavecchia by train but (and it's a BIG but), it means lugging your bags on and off the trains, so it depends a lot on how much stuff you're bringing, how able-bodied you are and how willing you are to put up with that particular inconvenience.

Alternatively, there are various transfer companies with good reputations that you can use and it's just a case of weighing up how much you want to pay for the convenience and comfort. We are planning on using transfers rather than trains but I haven't actually booked anything yet as we have not finalised our flight arrangements.

We have previously used Bob's Limos https://romelimousines.com/home/ and were satisfied with the service. On that occasion, we flew in the same day as the cruise and arranged for them to meet us at Rome Airport and transfer us straight to Civitavecchia. We also arranged for them to pick us up again at the port at the end of our cruise for the return transfer back to the airport and, again, that all went well.

Other companies that I have seen frequently recommended and which provide similar services are:

Rome cabs: https://www.romecabs.com/

Civitavecchia Cab Service: https://www.civitavecchiacabservice.com/

Rome in LImo: http://www.romeinlimo.com/

It's just a case of looking through the websites and seeing which one you feel offers the most adequate service for your needs. A couple of them offer shared shuttle services and they all offer private ones at different price points, and with or without sightseeing tours.

Hope this helps.

Have fun with your planning. 🙂

On 11/10/2021 at 10:23 AM, ninejak said:

We are staying at Casale Poggio Nebbia, a small agritourism hotel about 15 minutes from Civitavecchia Port. 

On 11/10/2021 at 10:23 AM, ninejak said:

We are on the May 16-25, the only cruise I see that has Rhodes in the itinerary is the May 7-16. They provide transportation (small charge) to and from Civitavecchia. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • AshleyDillo changed the title to Odyssey of the Seas - May 16, 2022 - May 25, 2022 (9 Night Greek Isles Cruise)
  • 2 months later...
On 11/11/2021 at 8:24 PM, ninejak said:

Thank you so much for all of the information that you have given me. I will have to do some research and make some decisions as soon as possible everything seems to be filling up very quickly, I should not have waited so long. 

I can't wait to do the Med again. 

Travelling with my Mother, we're flying in the day before the cruise and staying at the Hilton Rome Airport for the one night and then taking transfers from the airport to the ship the next day. 

Were you able to find reasonably priced accommodation? 

Can anyone give me more information on how you are meeting the 1 day COVID testing requirement if you are staying in Rome before the cruise?  We are coming in early as well but saw that the testing requirement is 1 day prior to the boat leaving. 

18 hours ago, cbird said:

Can anyone give me more information on how you are meeting the 1 day COVID testing requirement if you are staying in Rome before the cruise?  We are coming in early as well but saw that the testing requirement is 1 day prior to the boat leaving. 

We are taking the Emed tests with us, we'll test in our hotel the day before...

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I'm onboard now. If anyone has any questions just ask and if I know or can find out the answer I'll be happy to help.

How full is the ship? Easy to find seating on deck and in the buffet?

17 hours ago, Machae said:

How full is the ship? Easy to find seating on deck and in the buffet?

It's pretty full, upwards of 4,500 passengers. It's not really been very warm until today but even when chilly the pool area has been quite busy.

PXL_20220509_094239278.thumb.jpg.63e2f927d1a1f6ad7a1a171a474acda7.jpg

I haven't seen the buffet looking really packed but we tend to go a bit later after the peak.

I do find the layout of the WJ rather confusing though and I never seem to be able to find what I'm looking for.

19 hours ago, carlosalonsor said:

Hi FionaMG! How was the tendering process in Santorini for those who had The Key?

Hi!

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that one as we went on an excursion and don't have the key. What I can say is that the operation seemed to be very smooth. The first non-excursion tender was called at about 7.30 am just as we were boarding ours. 

I hope that helps a little bit.

5 hours ago, LanceRomance said:

Hi Fiona. Thanks for the information. Would it be possible to share the Cruise Compasses that you have collected at the end of your trip. Would love to see what activities and entertainment is being offered.

Yes, I certainly will. I'll do a full recap blog when we get back. 🙂

• AshleyDillo changed the title to xSAILEDx Odyssey of the Seas - May 16, 2022 - May 25, 2022 (9 Night Greek Isles Cruise)