Yes: Another "The Key" Question!!!

CJS2766

Hello all,

After almost 2 years of being rescheduled, lift and shifted, etc.... We are FINALLY going cruising again in 11 days on the Symphony. I wanted to get everyone's opinions as to what to do about our "Key" purchase. We purchased the Key who knows when, but I believe we paid around $20.00 per person. With the way everything is today with cruising, I understand it really isn't worth it. I'm being told that there will be no Chops lunch offered. I am wondering what to do? My wife and I still want Voom internet, but now with no Chops lunch or enjoying other benefits of the Key, what would you do? 

Royal has not cancelled our purchase. Can I ask guest relations on board for a credit for a lunch at a specialty restaurant? Is that even allowed? Just trying to figure out what to do before sailing or if I should wait and try to handle this at guest relations on board?

Thoughts???????

We got the Key for our Harmony cruise in July.  I hope by then things will be somewhat back to normal.  This is the first time for using the "Key".  Having two teenage grands with us will be nice for the Voom for everyone this trip.  A lot can change before July gets here but I am hoping for better not worse! Time will tell....

$20 a day is a good price for the Key. Depending on the current cost of Voom, it’s probably just a few dollars more per day. I would keep it even if free room service was the only other benefit. But waiting to see what add-on’s, if any, they give for the Key may make it worthwhile for you. If you’re not satisfied, you can always do the Guest Services route onboard.

6 hours ago, CJS2766 said:

We purchased the Key who knows when, but I believe we paid around $20.00 per person.

I think it might be worth it for that price.  A single device Zoom costs nearly that much so I agree with @BrianB.  I have never purchased The Key but used to like the idea of a reserved section for shows.  I don't think the reserved seats for shows are needed anymore but free room service sounds good.  I never could justify having to purchase The Key for everyone in the stateroom so it just depends on how many devices you need to connect on Zoom.

I was the guy saving good seats for everyone else at the shows so that's why it mattered to me!  I would consume a few drinks while waiting so that costs money too.  I couldn't afford the deluxe drink package nor do I consume that many drinks to make the drink package worth it.

47 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I'd totally keep it for free room service for the entire duration of the cruise (plus the Voom).  I had it for my Allure sailing at a really good price, canceled it when it seemed it wasn't going to be worth it, and now it's not offered, so I'm a bit disappointed in myself, lol.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is special about room service? Just the ability to order food to your room? Cause if that's it, I know we will not use that. Is there any other benefit to room service? Thank you!

2 minutes ago, CJS2766 said:

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is special about room service? Just the ability to order food to your room? Cause if that's it, I know we will not use that. Is there any other benefit to room service? Thank you!

We'd definitely prefer breakfast in our room (and not that carby continental stuff that they'll deliver for free).  Plus we sometime enjoy late-night snacks (when nothing else is open except Sorrentos and Cafe Promenade, neither of which we enjoy).

19 minutes ago, CJS2766 said:

Guess I never thought about early breakfast time or later at night. Given that this will be our first time in a balcony room, MAYBE we'll try a little room service then 🤣

We always have 1st breakfast in the cabin. Usually a pot of coffee, OJ to make our morning mimosas and a bagel we split. Then we get dressed for 2cd breakfast and go to either the MDR or Johnny Rockets for a cooked to order breakfast 😁

2 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

I just looked on our "Key" for Harmony in July and it does not mention any room service at all.  I would love to have that option.  I'm guessing it is there presently just due to limiting people in the dinning rooms/windjammer.

They aren't offering the embarkation day lunch at Chops, so they've been sending people emails that it's replaced with room service.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/10/01/spotted-the-key-will-restart-being-offered-symphony-of-the-seas?fbclid=IwAR1rnMV0aWBi9wRBqzxBIPgJbbh-UpVH6WRorTmPxGoH2dAp4BD1VUThqQc

3 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

They aren't offering the embarkation day lunch at Chops, so they've been sending people emails that it's replaced with room service.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/10/01/spotted-the-key-will-restart-being-offered-symphony-of-the-seas?fbclid=IwAR1rnMV0aWBi9wRBqzxBIPgJbbh-UpVH6WRorTmPxGoH2dAp4BD1VUThqQc

I really hope that will be on our Harmony "Key" (fingers crossed).  I know that July is a long way away so it will be anybodies guess what it will be then.

23 hours ago, Jill said:

We always have 1st breakfast in the cabin. Usually a pot of coffee, OJ to make our morning mimosas and a bagel we split. Then we get dressed for 2cd breakfast and go to either the MDR or Johnny Rockets for a cooked to order breakfast 😁

@Jill you're a hobbit after my own heart. I always have first breakfast and my cuppa tea on the balcony!