Has anyone received an EMed kit yet with a later expiration date, not just the extension ?

15 minutes ago, Scooter6251 said:

I assume eventually EMed will have newer kits with expiration dates well beyond those being shipped now.  We have a Nov 2021 and a Mar 2022 cruise so I would like the purchase of the 6 kit pack to cover both cruises.  It seems right now, that can't be done.

We made the mistake of doing just that. With 3 cruises in the future, (Freedom Sep 27, Allure March 13, 2022 and Serenade Oct 29, 2022) it seemed like a good idea to buy the 6 pack.

However, when received they have an expiry date of December 2021, ergo, four of the kits were wasted.

We still have them so if anyone who wants them prior to their expiry date wants to get in touch, they can be freebies.

22 minutes ago, Scooter6251 said:

I assume eventually EMed will have newer kits with expiration dates well beyond those being shipped now.  We have a Nov 2021 and a Mar 2022 cruise so I would like the purchase of the 6 kit pack to cover both cruises.  It seems right now, that can't be done.

I would buy the 3 pack to cover the November 2021 cruise and wait on the March 2022 cruise. 

I made that mistake back in late August of this year of buys 6 kit pack.  Until now the only international flying my husband and I have done has been to Mexico to stay at resorts where you didn't need a negative test to enter Mexico and the resorts provided free testing to come home.  However this September we took our first trip to Europe since the pandemic began and even though we can go to Walgreens or CVS that doesn't help us coming back to the US.  So I had the bright idea of buying a pack of 6 test thing we would use one to come home from Europe another for our October cruise and the last on on our January 2022 cruise.  Luckily we will be able to use the test for our upcoming October cruise but the last test will be wasted because it expires before our January cruise. 

What is causing me concern is this as Europe continues to re-open many countries are now or I'm hearing will require all passengers to present a negative COVID test taken no more than 48 hours before arrival and I'm not sure Walgreens and CVS can always meet that turn around time which is going to put pressure on companies like Abbot (who has partners with quite a few airlines and also Royal Caribbean and who knows how many other cruise lines) to make sure they keep these test in stock and not the over the counter test many of which are NOT acceptable for travel.  Working in the airline industry I can tell you the airlines are preparing for surge in travel from the US to Europe starting next spring. For those who are not just traveling to Europe but also going on a European Cruise depending on how early you arrive in Europe a single person may need 2 test (1 to enter Europe and a 2nd to board the cruise). I understand wanting to be prepared because it would suck if a person couldn't board their European cruise because they couldn't find a test. I hope BinaxNow does not become the new toilet paper in 2022 but I would suggest you resist the urge to buy the test to early because unlike toilet paper these test do expire.

4 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

I would buy the 3 pack to cover the November 2021 cruise and wait on the March 2022 cruise. 

I made that mistake back in late August of this year of buys 6 kit pack.  Until now the only international flying my husband and I have done has been to Mexico to stay at resorts where you didn't need a negative test to enter Mexico and the resorts provided free testing to come home.  However this September we took our first trip to Europe since the pandemic began and even though we can go to Walgreens or CVS that doesn't help us coming back to the US.  So I had the bright idea of buying a pack of 6 test thing we would use one to come home from Europe another for our October cruise and the last on on our January 2022 cruise.  Luckily we will be able to use the test for our upcoming October cruise but the last test will be wasted because it expires before our January cruise. 

What is causing me concern is this as Europe continues to re-open many countries are now or I'm hearing will require all passengers to present a negative COVID test taken no more than 48 hours before arrival and I'm not sure Walgreens and CVS can always meet that turn around time which is going to put pressure on companies like Abbot (who has partners with quite a few airlines and also Royal Caribbean and who knows how many other cruise lines) to make sure they keep these test in stock and not the over the counter test many of which are NOT acceptable for travel.  Working in the airline industry I can tell you the airlines are preparing for surge in travel from the US to Europe starting next spring. For those who are not just traveling to Europe but also going on a European Cruise depending on how early you arrive in Europe a single person may need 2 test (1 to enter Europe and a 2nd to board the cruise). I understand wanting to be prepared because it would suck if a person couldn't board their European cruise because they couldn't find a test. I hope BinaxNow does not become the new toilet paper in 2022 but I would suggest you resist the urge to buy the test to early because unlike toilet paper these test do expire.

We are flying into Amsterdam in August for our British Isles cruise (Jewel).  We decided to fly on Wednesday evening (we can test here Wednesday morning) and that will work for both arriving in Amsterdam and for the cruise.  We will try to book an appointment for that date as soon as it will be available or may even get the proctored test.  I am hoping that the protocols will be lifted by then but I booked our flights yesterday using the current protocols.

Hello,

Where do we find the expiration date on the box?  I don't see anything labeled as expiration date and when I look at the list of Lot numbers that were extended, my lot number doesn't show up.

We ordered 4 tests (2 people) so we have a backup should a test be inconclusive.  They arrived today and two of the boxes were nearly destroyed, but the other two look fine.  It's weird since they were in the same mailer, so i assume it was damaged before shipping.  I've already contacted Optum for refund/replacement options since I don't want to have them rejected at the last minute if I have to go to the backup option.  Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

Hello,

Where do we find the expiration date on the box?  I don't see anything labeled as expiration date and when I look at the list of Lot numbers that were extended, my lot number doesn't show up.

We ordered 4 tests (2 people) so we have a backup should a test be inconclusive.  They arrived today and two of the boxes were nearly destroyed, but the other two look fine.  It's weird since they were in the same mailer, so i assume it was damaged before shipping.  I've already contacted Optum for refund/replacement options since I don't want to have them rejected at the last minute if I have to go to the backup option.  Thanks!

The white sticker on the lower right corner of the box where you found your lot number will have 2 dates, one is manufacture the other is expiration date, the expiration date will have an hour glass symbol next to it.

6 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

The white sticker on the lower right corner of the box where you found your lot number will have 2 dates, one is manufacture the other is expiration date, the expiration date will have an hour glass symbol next to it.

Perfect!  Never would have figured that was an hourglass, but now I can't unsee it.  Our expiration dates are 10-4-2021 and 10-5-2021 and in two different lots.  With the extension it should be fine.  Thanks!

because of the recent shortage of available at home tests, i bite the bullet and ordered through the Royal link as shown below

image.png.28afa61fc5b479043a954b26b54429cd.png

From the way I read this my rcvd test should be good at least through Dec 21, 2021, which would meet the conditions of 2 days for my 23 Dec Sailing.

This is what i RCVD

image.thumb.jpeg.7dc1373550bb28be86f257416917e232.jpeg

THE WAY I READ THESE THEY ACTUALY EXPIRE ON 12-19-2021 2 DAY BEFORE THE ADVERTISED DATE.

ANYONE ELSE AGREE WITH ME?

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

11 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

because of the recent shortage of available at home tests, i bite the bullet and ordered through the Royal link as shown below

image.png.28afa61fc5b479043a954b26b54429cd.png

From the way I read this my rcvd test should be good at least through Dec 21, 2021, which would meet the conditions of 2 days for my 23 Dec Sailing.

This is what i RCVD

image.thumb.jpeg.7dc1373550bb28be86f257416917e232.jpeg

THE WAY I READ THESE THEY ACTUALY EXPIRE ON 12-19-2021 2 DAY BEFORE THE ADVERTISED DATE.

ANYONE ELSE AGREE WITH ME?

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Lot 139811 is on this list:

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

12/19/21 expiration extended from original 9/19/21 expiry date.

They haven't made these test for months.  They are shipping what is left in inventory.  If you are able to return them they don't have new ones with better dates to ship out.  

Soon enough there will be no more, period.

14 minutes ago, twangster said:

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

They haven't made these test for months.  They are shipping what is left in inventory.  If you are able to return them they don't have new ones with better dates to ship out.  

thanks @twangster, As I suspected expireing on 12-19-2021.

Just very misleading when both Royal's site and Optum's site both state

"There is a nationwide short supply of Covid Antigen tests therefore your test kit may expire as soon as December 21, 2021."

I would expect the expiration to be on or after that advertised date, not before it.

5 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

thanks @twangster, As I suspected expireing on 12-19-2021.

Just very misleading when both Royal's site and Optum's site both state

"There is a nationwide short supply of Covid Antigen tests therefore your test kit may expire as soon as December 21, 2021."

I would expect the expiration to be on or after that advertised date, not before it.

Understood.  I was initially frustrated with the expiration of the six pack I bought from eMed.  Then I found out they are near extinction, permanently.  Now I consider the ones I have gold.  

On 10/5/2021 at 8:43 AM, Andy & Sheryl Unwin said:

We made the mistake of doing just that. With 3 cruises in the future, (Freedom Sep 27, Allure March 13, 2022 and Serenade Oct 29, 2022) it seemed like a good idea to buy the 6 pack.

However, when received they have an expiry date of December 2021, ergo, four of the kits were wasted.

We still have them so if anyone who wants them prior to their expiry date wants to get in touch, they can be freebies.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:18 AM, Andy & Sheryl Unwin said:

And just like that, taken !

Alas the expiry date on the box has come and gone. As we cannot validate the extension of the lot # they are off the market.

15 hours ago, twangster said:

15 hours ago, twangster said:

Understood.  I was initially frustrated with the expiration of the six pack I bought from eMed.  Then I found out they are near extinction, permanently.  Now I consider the ones I have gold.  

They are currently manufacturing new test kits, and are expecting them to be available to ship again beginning in November

3 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

They are currently manufacturing new test kits, and are expecting them to be available to ship again beginning in November

This is good to know. I was starting to wonder if this was no longer going to be an option for our January sailing due to availability and expiration AFTER the extended expiration date.

The vision of the current administration is for every home in America to a have pack of tests in the closet.  They want the tests to be down to the $1-$2 mark and have no use for a proctored test.  The goal is so that if little Suzie isn't feeling well the parents test her and can decide if she should go to school that day.  That's the vision or target.

They don't care if 0.1% of the population needs a proctored test to go on a cruise.  That's not the target for the test they envision.  So if Abbott doesn't get the test subsidized by the federal government are they really going to ramp up production?  Time will tell.  

2 hours ago, twangster said:

The vision of the current administration is for every home in America to a have pack of tests in the closet.  They want the tests to be down to the $1-$2 mark and have no use for a proctored test.  The goal is so that if little Suzie isn't feeling well the parents test her and can decide if she should go to school that day.  That's the vision or target.

They don't care if 0.1% of the population needs a proctored test to go on a cruise.  That's not the target for the test they envision.  So if Abbott doesn't get the test subsidized by the federal government are they really going to ramp up production?  Time will tell.  

I would *hope* that if the tests are that cheap, we could bypass the proctored test nonsense and simply be trusted to do a home swab ourselves. Royal could then test everyone at the port as well - if you lied on the home swab, you're gonna get caught at the port, and now you're out at least whatever money you spent to get to the port as "punishment", even if they give you a refund on your cruise fare.

We were fortunate in that we ordered them immediately when we heard of the tests and our expiration dates on 6 of the 12 tests we ordered (5 cruises in 5 months) is in mid-January which will cover us through that date. For the next cruise after that in March we will see what has transpired from now and hopefully we will not need them. My son ordered 6 tests for their cruise and his expiration dates are sooner than even our early expiration's! Looks like they used the last in first out method of filling orders.

9 minutes ago, GKMCruising said:

I would *hope* that if the tests are that cheap, we could bypass the proctored test nonsense and simply be trusted to do a home swab ourselves. Royal could then test everyone at the port as well - if you lied on the home swab, you're gonna get caught at the port, and now you're out at least whatever money you spent to get to the port as "punishment", even if they give you a refund on your cruise fare.

Cruise lines are not going to do terminal tests for everyone.  It costs a fortune and it doesn't scale to thousands of guests. The time doesn't work when you are talking thousands and there isn't enough space in most terminals for thousands and thousands.  

They have to test kids to satisfy the CDC testing requirements but with limited numbers of kids it's a manageable cost and acceptable to get the vaccinated parents on board.  

The ultra cheap home tests have high false positive rates too.  They are cheap though.

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

Cruise lines are not going to do terminal tests for everyone.  It costs a fortune and it doesn't scale to thousands of guests. The time doesn't work when you are talking thousands and there isn't enough space in most terminals for thousands and thousands.  

True - for them to do terminal tests they'd basically have to use one that was instant-read, no waiting needed, almost like a pregnancy test.

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

The ultra cheap home tests have high false positive rates too. 

On the one hand, better than high false negatives that would allow cases to get onboard undetected, but also terrible for those who would get turned away for no reason.

35 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'll just add after having my kids do a covid test at the terminal last week (and same when I had the test for Adventure in Nassau), it is the last thing I want to do if I can avoid it. 

Testing at the terminal is just a lot of wasted time that I could spend enjoying the ship.  I'd much rather take time when I have nothing better to do to get the test done at home than at the terminal.

Just my experience with terminal testing.

I don't understand people who want to test at ports. Its a waste of time and resources. Getting there with all your luggage and extras, with the possibility of being turned away.

If these test become a thing, I am sure there will be levels. Just like there are now. You have home test that aren't proctored and they cost less. I can see $3 home test while they continue to charge $25+ to be proctored.

32 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'll just add after having my kids do a covid test at the terminal last week (and same when I had the test for Adventure in Nassau), it is the last thing I want to do if I can avoid it. 

Testing at the terminal is just a lot of wasted time that I could spend enjoying the ship.  I'd much rather take time when I have nothing better to do to get the test done at home than at the terminal.

Just my experience with terminal testing.

Agreed. Having to sit for an hour with my daughter and wait on her test results is time I'd have much rather spent on board.