Oasis of the Seas - November 3rd, 2021 - The Star Class cruise my mom never got

zhey

Hello everyone, this is my first time doing this so bare with me.

Lets just start from the beginning. In June of 2017 my family was about to embark on their first Oasis class cruise. They took the gamble and booked a Junior Suite Guarantee for the three of them, about a month prior to the sailing we logged on and saw they had been assigned a Grand Suite. Myself who was then in the process of leaving my first job so I could move on to my current career decided to leave a week earlier then planned to go experience the suite life I had read much about on here. Well lets just say this was the beginning to our obsession with wanting to take a Star Class cruise. About a year later my mom and dad took a cruise on Allure for their anniversary in a Crown Loft and this just furthered our want to experience Star Class. So one night while facetiming with my parents while they were at sea I was able to convince them to visit the next cruise desk and book one. Well three days later it was official, we were booked in a 2 Bedroom AquaTheater Suite on Allure in 2019. Fast-forward a few months and we were calling to add on 4 other family members to this cruise and we were being told it would be almost $12,000 to add these 4 people. We decided not to add them and to wait and figure something out. About a week later the sailings for the Summer of 2020 were released, we immediately called and snagged us a 4 Bedroom Villa on Harmony in June of 2020 for an amazing price.  So that was it, now we just wait, so we thought.

Insert COVID-19

We sat and watched the dates of the cruise suspension keep getting pushed, we finally broke down and called Royal just to see what our options were for changing this sailing. We were not planning to actually do anything on the phone that day and had no dates in mind, we just wanted to know what could be done. Well lets just say we got lucky, while on the phone the agent was able to find another Villa suite for $5,000 cheaper than we were already paying. We rebooked for January 2021, yeah Covid won't be a problem still. Well as we all know what happened, we called again about a week prior to Royal announcing more cancelations and this time found a Villa on Symphony in September 2022.  So we though for sure this was the one and it would have been until August 2021 came around.

My mom who was a 4th grade teacher had just started her school year when about 2 weeks in she had to leave school early and go to the hospital. Unfortunately about 2 weeks later she very unexpectedly passed away (non-covid related). So here we are now, trying to decide what to do with her ashes. We decided we would take her on a final cruise and spread her ashes in the Caribbean. This in itself is a massive feat, my father is an airline pilot, my sister a middle school teacher, brother an EMT taking Paramedic classes, and myself also in the aviation industry. The time we had to do this was very simple as my brother and sister are on similar schedules: Thanksgiving or Christmas. My dad was able to get Christmas off as he just so happened to not be on call that week. Myself being the lowest in seniority where I work, there was absolutely zero chance but somehow I sweet talked my way into getting the time off. So we got booked for Oasis over Christmas week in 2 Grand Suites, back where it all started. (I will also blog this one)

So after getting the Christmas cruise booked and cancelling the three other cruises I already had booked for me and my mom, I came back across this sailing. I had originally booked this cruise in the Ultimate Panoramic Suite for my 25th birthday and my mom would have been coming with me. I decided I needed to go on a cruise to just get some time away from everything and get back into what I always enjoyed. The only problem now was I had nobody to go with me, my mom was always my cruising partner. So we now owed my grandparents a cruise since they had helped pay for the Villa Suite one which was now not going to happen. So I called to talk to them and started talking about this cruise and how I needed someone to go with me, before I could ask she said they would. We started talking about rooms and all they wanted was an aft facing balcony, I said sure. Well two hours later and we are booked in a 2 Bedroom AquaTheater Suite, 8330.

In 33 days I will finally be able to experience Star Class, I just wish the person who wanted this all along was able to go.

So here's where I need help, I only have 4 days on Oasis and want to get as much from the experience as possible. Any suggestions on requests from my Genie?

Currently the only thing I know for sure I will request is sail away snacks and drinks from the balcony and I have my dinner schedule already figured out.

I look forward to bringing everyone along on this journey and any ideas would be greatly appreciated.    

Welcome to this forum!  My sympathies to you and your family in the loss of your Mom.  I am sailing on this cruise with my husband to celebrate our 42nd anniversary.  We also have another couple (very close friends) who decided to join us!  No star class for us (that is definitely a bucket list item!) but we do have balcony rooms next to each other on the 9th deck.  When I originally booked I had planned to try to Royal Up but with our friends cruising for the first time on Royal felt it best to keep our rooms together.
I started a Roll Call for this cruise and believe there are several others on this blog who are also cruising with us.  
So excited as our sail date gets closer and closer!
I look forward to following your blog!

I am truly so sorry about your mom, and the grief I know you still experience. My mom passed when I was 5, and all these decades later, I still miss her tremendously. 

I hope you and your grandparents have a beautiful cruise, filled with joyous memories of your Mom. I pray you feel her presence with you, and it comforts you like nothing else can.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. 🙂

I am so sorry for your loss.  I hope this cruise will bring you comfort and peace.  I think it is wonderful that you are doing the thing that was so special to both you and your Mom.  It is a beautiful way to honor her memory.  I will be across from you in 9730 on this sailing.  Look forward to meeting you onboard.

My wife and I are also on this sailing with you. As PPPJJ mentioned we are also looking forward to this sailing since we have been land locked since December 2019. Be sure to check out the roll call for this sailing for the messages are becoming more active the closer we get to the sail date.

I have no idea how to help you with your genie for we have never had a Star experience but I know that several other folks on here will chime in with help. One thing that I have read over and over again was to be very specific in your wants and needs with your genie. Try to not leave anything open for interpretation otherwise you may not get what you want.

Good Morning everyone! We just received an email from our TA and the itinerary for this cruise has changed. We are now getting to visit Coco Cay and Nassau, in my opinion this is much better than Cozumel. I also see a beach club cabana in my near future. We also found out that Shane will be our Genie on this cruise. Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and kind words.

28 Days to go