Do You Lock your Luggage?

Most (if not all) luggage locks sold today either installed on luggage or separate are TSA approved and can be unlocked by TSA staff. If you use a standard lock that isn't TSA approved then you risk damage to your luggage or lock if it has to be opened for whatever reason.

I purchased Samsonite luggage with locks pre-installed or built in on the luggage. It is one less thing to have to worry about bringing separate locks for each luggage piece. Samsonite is expensive but really good quality.

I don't know if the cruise line will unlock and search your luggage. My guess is no. They will call you down if they detect alcohol in your luggage to remove it. If they had the resources to unlock luggage, my guess would be they would just automatically remove the alcohol or any other prohibited items like clothing irons.

I do lock my luggage anywhere I go. I don't own expensive jewelry, watches, etc. and would not bring them in my luggage anyway. Often times searched luggage will have expensive items missing. Always pack expensive jewelry, medications etc. in your carry on. I do spend good money on my clothes and feel better knowing all my luggage pieces are locked. 

My friend brought a prohibited item (travel iron) on board. They took it upon themselves to open up her bag and remove it. So they WILL open your bag...

Good. Not sure why anyone risks bringing an iron onboard anyway. I seem to be the only paranoid one who locks their luggage.  :huh: