Watches Currently Available on board

Big Red

Don't know if this pertains to anyone particular.  Cruising out on Allure in a couple of weeks, and always looked forward to seeing what "high end" watches they have available in the Regalia shop on board, and at ports of call. Has anyone that is into watches seen if they still have old stock available or if they are up to date there stock of modern time-pieces on board since the relaunch into causing?  

Specifically Watch brands I am looking to see are Tag, Rolex, Omega, etc.  Not interested in Invicta, Fossil, or other watches offered at the sidewalk sale typically.  

Personally, I would not purchase a high end item on a cruise (or in a port).  For these types of items, i like to have a good relationship with my jeweler.  My local jeweler has given me great discounts for paying cash, where I "essentially" do not pay the sales tax, much like you would abroad (until you claim it on your customs form).  Of course, i'm a rule follower, so YMMV.

I do enjoy looking at the items though!

(Note: i still pay sales tax, just on the lower price.  For example, it the tax on the item is $100, then they give you a $100 discount before completing the transition. It's fair to me, fair to them and I get the piece of mind knowing that it's a real item and they stand by the purchase.)

21 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

Personally, I would not purchase a high end item on a cruise (or in a port).  For these types of items, i like to have a good relationship with my jeweler.  My local jeweler has given me great discounts for paying cash, where I "essentially" do not pay the sales tax, much like you would abroad (until you claim it on your customs form).  Of course, i'm a rule follower, so YMMV.

I do enjoy looking at the items though!

(Note: i still pay sales tax, just on the lower price.  For example, it the tax on the item is $100, then they give you a $100 discount before completing the transition. It's fair to me, fair to them and I get the piece of mind knowing that it's a real item and they stand by the purchase.)

Most likely not looking to buy, but like seeing what is available.  As there is nothing available here locally in Tampa, FL.  But, yeah I usually work with the local shops 1st, but there is really nothing interesting I have found locally this year, and selection is slim to zero...

1 hour ago, Big Red said:

Don't know if this pertains to anyone particular.  Cruising out on Allure in a couple of weeks, and always looked forward to seeing what "high end" watches they have available in the Regalia shop on board, and at ports of call. Has anyone that is into watches seen if they still have old stock available or if they are up to date there stock of modern time-pieces on board since the relaunch into causing?  

Specifically Watch brands I am looking to see are Tag, Rolex, Omega, etc.  Not interested in Invicta, Fossil, or other watches offered at the sidewalk sale typically.  

You will find the usual suspects as you mentioned with the exception of Rolex (obviously). There are sometimes a few pre owned Rolex (5 digit Rolex references) but they are overpriced even beyond what you pay grey market at home. Before the craziness began with Rolex sports models a few years back you would find cases full of every desirable sports model at AH Riise in St Thomas. I would say more then likely the display cases are now empty. No issues at all with purchasing in the islands. I have made several high dollar purchases for myself and my wife at AH Riise and Cartier with no problems. I would say just about anything inside the Regalia shops is over priced and can be obtained elsewhere for both a better buying experience and price. 

On 9/30/2021 at 4:33 PM, Big Red said:

We've bought watches on the Allure a couple of years ago and got a great deal.  not sure what you mean by "old stock" and "modern time-pieces" but watches they carry are still sold at many authorized dealers and websites.  But its possible that the production on those models have ended and for example, you wouldn't find in a tag showroom.  Not very important to me so never looked into it.  the manufacturers warranties are the same as if you bought it at any authorized dealer. 

if i remember correctly they only carry pre-owned rolex and omegas. 

4 hours ago, Big Red said:

Thanks for all the response!  This really helps me, as far looking into new watch makes on the cruise and St. Thomas shopping.  

I was tempted to look for the new version of the speedmaster professional in st thomas a month ago, but it seemed like most of the stores in the port area were closed.  I might have had better luck downtown. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got two nice new watches on my Cruise last week.  

I got one watch onboard the ship for about $800 cheaper than I what I would have paid locally.  Plus I was able to use my accumulated cruise credits from not selling in over a year to pay for that watch, so it cost me zero...

The second watch I couldn't find anywhere till I got to St. Martin.  And we got that one for nearly $1,000 less than what I would have spent on it back in Tampa, and about $1,500 less than online listed prices.  And got more cruise credits from it as I used my RC credit card to get it, plus no taxes!  So I was super stoked on this trip!  St. Martin had super light traffic in the shops when I was there, and you can for sure see the damage done by no tourist.  

St. Thomas had almost no availability of new high end watches to speak of, and what I did find was over priced or same as home.  St Thomas was even more of a shell of it's former self, then even after the hurricanes that came through, before covid.  It was by and far the worst off of the islands we visited after Covid, with many of the shops downsizing or closing all together. 

So closing this conversation thanks for all the help.  And yes you can get deals on the boat, specially if you have cruise credits to spend(free money)....🤙⌚

1 hour ago, Big Red said:

Well I got two nice new watches on my Cruise last week.  

I got one watch onboard the ship for about $800 cheaper than I what I would have paid locally.  Plus I was able to use my accumulated cruise credits from not selling in over a year to pay for that watch, so it cost me zero...

The second watch I couldn't find anywhere till I got to St. Martin.  And we got that one for nearly $1,000 less than what I would have spent on it back in Tampa, and about $1,500 less than online listed prices.  And got more cruise credits from it as I used my RC credit card to get it, plus no taxes!  So I was super stoked on this trip!  St. Martin had super light traffic in the shops when I was there, and you can for sure see the damage done by no tourist.  

St. Thomas had almost no availability of new high end watches to speak of, and what I did find was over priced or same as home.  St Thomas was even more of a shell of it's former self, then even after the hurricanes that came through, before covid.  It was by and far the worst off of the islands we visited after Covid, with many of the shops downsizing or closing all together. 

So closing this conversation thanks for all the help.  And yes you can get deals on the boat, specially if you have cruise credits to spend(free money)....🤙⌚

If you don’t mind me asking , what were the makes of the two you purchased ?

Ok totally OT but I have an Omega pendant watch my aunt left me.  I have no clue what it is, or isn’t worth.  I am not a jewelry person so I have no go to jeweler and have only gotten vague answers from the couple I’ve tried.  Any idea how I get an accurate valuation?  I know she purchased it in the early 70’s and there’s an insurance slip included with an insured value of about $1100.00.  Any advice?

7 hours ago, Pooch said:

Ok totally OT but I have an Omega pendant watch my aunt left me.  I have no clue what it is, or isn’t worth.  I am not a jewelry person so I have no go to jeweler and have only gotten vague answers from the couple I’ve tried.  Any idea how I get an accurate valuation?  I know she purchased it in the early 70’s and there’s an insurance slip included with an insured value of about $1100.00.  Any advice?

Was the insurance slip from the 70’s? IMHO you should ask this question on a watch forum like “the rolex forum” and then go under the sub topic “Omega”. Someone should be able to assist with answering your question. That’s a very interesting piece. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/30/2021 at 5:22 PM, AlmondFarmer said:

I go into trips thinking the same, then the drink package changes the situation. 

I found that to be the case as well. I don't typically purchase the drink package but my last 2 cruises were on Celebrity which included the drink package. You couple that with the "event" they were having at the Breitling boutique where they were serving up Johnnie Walk blue label and you have the recipe for pulling the trigger. My every day watch was a Tag that I have had for about 8 years so I felt it was a justified purchase. It was the color I wanted, included the day of the week and I always wanted a Breitling. Seems logical to me.

On 9/30/2021 at 6:02 PM, tonyfsu21 said:

You will find the usual suspects as you mentioned with the exception of Rolex (obviously). There are sometimes a few pre owned Rolex (5 digit Rolex references) but they are overpriced even beyond what you pay grey market at home. Before the craziness began with Rolex sports models a few years back you would find cases full of every desirable sports model at AH Riise in St Thomas. I would say more then likely the display cases are now empty. No issues at all with purchasing in the islands. I have made several high dollar purchases for myself and my wife at AH Riise and Cartier with no problems. I would say just about anything inside the Regalia shops is over priced and can be obtained elsewhere for both a better buying experience and price. 

I did get a really good price compared to what I found in the islands, online and in the stores at home. I see my watch being sold online pre-loved for slightly more than I paid so I feel good.

On 10/29/2021 at 5:55 PM, Big Red said:

Both were Tag Heuer.  No one had a good selections of Rolex or Omega. Boat had like 4 decent Omegas, and Rolexs where all women old models with diamonds...

I saw that as well. I have a simple Carrera that I feel that I can wear with jeans or a tuxedo. Originally I was going to purchase the blue version of my existing Tag that included the day of the week function. I found that prices in the shop on the ship and in the islands beat anything I could do online or home. With the Tag, the islands were slightly cheaper but was able to negotiate the same price on the ship. I was a few minutes away from purchasing it until I committed to the Breitling.

• 8 months later...

We bought two Omegas and 3 Citizens on Voyager a couple of months ago.  We got really, really good deals on the Omegas…better than the best price I could find online…and…no sales tax (right there is about 8.5%).  Totally brand new with papers and a much better box than my Rolexes came in.  The citizens…oh my gosh…could not believe the prices.  They almost gave them away!!!  And…they threw in a bottle of Scotch!!!  Gotta love Royal Caribbean!

23 minutes ago, donistook said:

We bought two Omegas and 3 Citizens on Voyager a couple of months ago.  We got really, really good deals on the Omegas…better than the best price I could find online…and…no sales tax (right there is about 8.5%).  Totally brand new with papers and a much better box than my Rolexes came in.  The citizens…oh my gosh…could not believe the prices.  They almost gave them away!!!  And…they threw in a bottle of Scotch!!!  Gotta love Royal Caribbean!

amazing story. You buy that many watches at once the scotch better be good