Boarding Day Test AT PORT Added to Testing Options

32 minutes ago, Jill said:

Comes at a steep price though. If I were flying in I’d have an Airbnb as backup lol. 

I got the same email today and they’re obviously pushing the home test. I ordered our yesterday and plan to make a Walgreens appt as a backup 

For me, it's the other way around.   The eMed home test is the backup

They also only have very limited spots, so this a really last ditch effort. Someone on FB already/allegedly tried and it looks like test are schedule from 11am to about 3pm. Its also some sort of local urgent care/not RCG affiliated testing site. So maybe the contracted a third party to avoid any turn away's.

16 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

But it won't be open testing. You'll need to schedule in advance, so it's not like you can show up and be guaranteed a test at the port.

I think more experienced guests will want to test earlier rather than wait for the pier.   Especially those who must fly to port.  Why take the chance and waste a flight, but if you're in driving range,  it's a third or 4th cable to snag before sliding off the deck.    I plan on the home tests as my CVS/Walgreen backup.  I've notices some smaller, upscale lines are offering the pre-test as part of embarkation.   But as noted by others, it's kinda late to find out you have a problem.

They make a point of saying this should be considered as a last ditch, emergency test. After exhausting all other options, or getting tangled up in confusing testing mistakes that occasionally pop up. Rather than being turned away...you can schedule a test at the port...starting at $99. And you will need to wait outside for the results...hoping you're negative after getting that far.

4 minutes ago, BrianB said:

They make a point of saying this should be considered as a last ditch, emergency test. After exhausting all other options, or getting tangled up in confusing testing mistakes that occasionally pop up. Rather than being turned away...you can schedule a test at the port...starting at $99. And you will need to wait outside for the results...hoping you're negative after getting that far.

I don't know how to interpret the part where an appointment should be made 24 hours before sailing, 30 minutes before sailing time.  Does this mean that you will not get tested at the port if you hadn't made an appointment 24 hours prior?

49 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

So it means if you sail on Sunday, you need to make an appointment that Sat. Also its 30min before check-in time. So if your check-in is at noon, then you should schedule an appointment no later than 11:30 am

I’m understanding it that way too but it doesn’t sound like a “last minute” option at all. 

16 hours ago, 27th Lady said:

We have a mariner of the seas cruise coming up in Mid October and were able to book testing at the port already with no issues. We are from Canada so weren’t sure if we could get free testing at CVS or otherwise get easy testing in Orlando so felt this was the best option 

On 9/28/2021 at 2:01 PM, Ampurp85 said:

So it means if you sail on Sunday, you need to make an appointment that Sat. Also its 30min before check-in time. So if your check-in is at noon, then you should schedule an appointment no later than 11:30 am

I can see where someone coming in from our best friends in Canada, might find it as a good choice.  It is about 2/3 the typical Airport price so close to reasonable.

I also see that by 24 hours before you will know if plan A and plan B didn't pan out (seen CVS especially cancel test at the very last minute on folks) and this gives you an option to not have to hunt in unfamiliar territory for a possible rapid test site.  And again a reasonable price, in my opinion.  I have priced out Private Labs in my area and they are almost all north of 200USD for a quick test.

I think I'll have some home tests on hand, although the expiration dates currently scare me, try for a local free appoint first (if that works I may have wasted my money on at home tests) but then Royal has still offered me a possible last minute option, Thank You Royal.

Personally I don't think the testing thing is going to go away soon.  I'm willing to bet masks will disappear well before the testing requirement is gone.

Anyway 15 booked cruises and counting, less that a day for double points now.

On 9/27/2021 at 6:13 PM, Jill said:

Comes at a steep price though. If I were flying in I’d have an Airbnb as backup lol. 

I got the same email today and they’re obviously pushing the home test. I ordered our yesterday and plan to make a Walgreens appt as a backup 

This is exactly what I've done my upcoming cruise I've order the at home test through Royal Caribbean's website as a back up just in case my Walgreens test results which I plan to take 2 day prior does not come back in time.  

After reading the email about pier side testing I was like thanks but no thanks, $99 dollars and you have to wait outside for at least an hour for test results to come back, I don't need that kind of aggravation before boarding a cruise.

I’ve been reading in a few Facebook groups about people being turned away from the port because either they didn’t test or the wrong test. Just this past week 50 were turned away from Symphony. 125 from another sailing. 

Just wondering if Royal is really trying to get these people onboard. Imagine the frustration/disappointment passengers feel when turned away. Even though 99.9% of the time it’s likely due to their ignorance and not making themselves aware of what’s required. 

Just today someone posted on Facebook they bought the Abbott test at CVS but it wasn’t the proctored one. 

I just think Royal is really trying to get bodies onboard and placating/catering to those who either can’t follow directions or simply have been living under a rock for the past 15 months. 

Every passenger turned away is a possible negative Facebook/Instagram/Twitter etc post. Look at the Seattle case earlier this summer. It was splashed all over the media. When you dug deeper, you found the family actually was at fault but that story sticks in the non cruisers mind. It’s bad PR

Hand Holding/butt wiping is a pet peeve of mine but in times like this, they may just have to do it. 

I do think it is to get more butts on the boat but......

This has to be done even before you step into the port it seems. If you get denied boarding because of the wrong test or no test, will they allow you to go back and try again? I don't think this has to do with people being turned away at the port. More so people who might cancel under CWC because of cancelled appointments and/or inconclusive test. I think they care more about the no-shows than people who spend thousands on a cruise and don't read the fine print....I believe those people don't qualify for a refund.