Has anyone taken advantage of a price decrease after the final payment date?

Dad2Cue

I will supposedly get a $370 OBC for the price decrease after the final payment date on our cruise this October.  The Royal customer service rep confirmed the price decrease and said that he "filled out a form" to honor the best price guarantee.  He said my cruise vacation receipt would remain the same and wouldn't reflect the OBC.  He said it would take about 14 days to process the OBC.

I asked whether the OBC would show up in cruise planner so I could use it before the cruise OR would it show up as a credit to my spending account after we are on the ship?  The person I spoke with didn't seem to know what I was asking and he said, "it would be a normal OBC."

Does anyone know how these are processed?  I didn't get any documentation that I now have a $370 OBC so I don't really know if it will happen or not. 

I noticed another $150 price decrease a few days ago and that price decrease was after the final payment date too.  That one was processed immediately and was reflected as an over payment on my cruise vacation receipt.  That customer service rep said the over payment will be refunded.  I didn't question that so assuming the refund happens, that was better than I expected.

I just received a large OBC from a price drop after final payment date and it showed up within hours on my Cruise Planner.  My TA said that she has heard that sometimes it shows up and then disappears and to let her know if that happens so that she can take care of it.  If it's not showing up on your Cruise Planner, and you don't have a TA, call Royal and let them know.  

18 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

My TA said that she has heard that sometimes it shows up and then disappears

If it shows up in cruise planner, I will make it disappear very quickly.

24 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I just received a large OBC from a price drop after final payment date and it showed up within hours on my Cruise Planner.

Thanks ... I hope it happens that way.  

I have had one changed to OBC and the next time I called and repriced they said that it would be refunded and the first one was wrong and would be refunded too. Both were after final payment, during the time when RCL changed their final payment dates. However, that has been over two weeks ago and my OBC still shows up in Cruise Planner and credit card does not reflect any charge backs.

10 minutes ago, Mark_A said:

the Price drop I got (about 800 dollars) after final payment was given as OBC that I could use in the planner.  I used it to buy DBP and UDP 🙂

Did it show up in the cruise planner relatively soon ... as in processed electronically?   I was having some doubts when the rep said he filled out a form and it would be processed in 14 days

4 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Yes, it showed up within hours for me.

I just did the $370 price decrease today so maybe Sunday isn't the best day for it to be processed. 

The other $150 price decrease I did was technically before the final payment date since they changed it to 30 days before the sailing on October 24th.  That would explain the refund for the first price decrease. 

Frankly, I'm worried that Royal won't make any money on this cruise with reduced capacity and now drastic price reductions.  I felt somewhat greedy about asking for the best price guarantee twice is such a short period of time.  I'm getting over it ... though.

On 9/26/2021 at 2:31 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

Ha, yep!  I immediately booked a Beach Club cabana!  That only used about half of it, though, so I'm trying to figure out what to do with the other half.

No need to worry because the $370 OBC showed up in the cruise planner today.  I followed your lead and booked a Beach Club Cabana for $599 and I think it was the last one.  Is that a ridiculously low price for that type of cabana?  I cancelled the 3 Beach Club day passes I had.  The refunds for the day passes combined with the OBC covered the $599 with money to spare.  Thank-you for the idea.  🙂

How long does this best price guarantee after the final payment date last?  I like it.

I typically change from a refundable fare to a non-refundable fare after final payment date to get a price reduction and then I keep checking for further reductions.  For my November Symphony sailing, I received ~$600 (2 balcony cabins) for the switch to non-refundable fare as OBC and then last week, got another ~$2000 refund due to a price  decrease. Happy the $2000 was not OBC!

Looks like many of us are reaping in the savings!  I received 3 different OBC prices within a week...almost every two days the price changed!  Then Royal changed the final pymnt date and since then I have received 3 more credits but these are to my credit card and the OBC remains!  I was told the credit card credits take upwards of 30-45 days to be issued.  The OBC showed up within an hour each time.  My cruise is still 38 days out so 8 more for potential cash back and after that...more OBC!!  Only thing is my price is so darn low now I just can't imagine it going down any further!!!  LOL

Do we have to notify our TA of a price decrease that we see or can I contact RC directly?  I booked this trip through my credit card company using some points and sometimes they are difficult to contact.  Does one always need to call either if they see a price decrease or does it show up in your Planner automatically?

We are only doing a 4 night cruise in early December this time.  Is it usual that a price decrease could occur in such a short time?

3 hours ago, levib2 said:

Do we have to notify our TA of a price decrease that we see or can I contact RC directly?  I booked this trip through my credit card company using some points and sometimes they are difficult to contact.  Does one always need to call either if they see a price decrease or does it show up in your Planner automatically?

We are only doing a 4 night cruise in early December this time.  Is it usual that a price decrease could occur in such a short time?

It's likely that if you booked with points there is a travel division with your credit card that serves as a TA. You will have to go through them for any price drops.

Price drops can and do happen. Sometimes if a ship isn't selling they will lower the prices to entice last minute bargain shoppers. 

You don't automatically get the savings. It has to be initiated under the best price guarantee by making a call to Royal or having the TA call if you used one.

Just curious, but how much does the price of your cruise have to drop before you would personally contact your TA to take advantage of onboard credit? $50, $100, $200? If you get your TA to get you the OBC, but then the price drops more the next day and then more the next day, do you call your TA each time to keep adding more to your OBC? Kind of like being a day trader in the stock market. Lol.

I keep checking my cruise prices for a drop. I'd sure love some OBC if we can get it, but so far my 11/19 cruise is still going up in price.

Thanks and happy cruising everyone! 😎

16 minutes ago, San Diego Garrett said:

Just curious, but how much does the price of your cruise have to drop before you would personally contact your TA to take advantage of onboard credit? $50, $100, $200? If you get your TA to get you the OBC, but then the price drops more the next day and then more the next day, do you call your TA each time to keep adding more to your OBC? Kind of like being a day trader in the stock market. Lol.

I keep checking my cruise prices for a drop. I'd sure love some OBC if we can get it, but so far my 11/19 cruise is still going up in price.

Thanks and happy cruising everyone! 😎

I call every time because you never know if prices will go up tomorrow.  Once the price goes up there is no calling and saying "... but the price was lower yesterday".

1 hour ago, San Diego Garrett said:

Just curious, but how much does the price of your cruise have to drop before you would personally contact your TA to take advantage of onboard credit?

I haven't ever caught a significant drop where I asked.  I guess I'm a bargain shopper to begin with.  But recently I checked and was looking at a net $6 decrease after giving up OBC to be repriced under the new offer. I didn't want to bother for that. Turns out my TA caught it and ended up repricing me to somehow net a $50 decrease in price. This is before final payment so it means my out of pocket is lower. She also automatically did the price drop for my friend who is sailing as well. She emailed me first since I had an OBC and she wanted to make sure I knew since if I had used the OBC to buy something in the cruise planner they would need me to pay the balance or risk the purchase being canceled.