Voom question ....so confused

levib2

On a sort of related side note, we recently changed cell carriers (after 10+ years) and one of the reasons we changed was WiFi calling would randomly turn off.  When we would try to turn it back on, we would have to call the carrier to get them to set the permissions.

Our home is located in an area where cellular service is spotty at best.  We leave Wi-Fi calling on all the time and have had no issues since we changed carriers.

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Since we are on the topic, is the a reason or concern that would necessitate turning WiFi calling off?  Does my carrier (Verizon) charge a fee to use it?

No, it's free. And it's to your benefit. I use wifi calling at home all the time because my wifi signal is stronger than my cell signal. Less likelihood of a dropped call.

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

No, it's free. And it's to your benefit. I use wifi calling at home all the time because my wifi signal is stronger than my cell signal. Less likelihood of a dropped call.

As do I.  🙂  I never toggle wifi calling off, and there is no charge for it.  That way, when I need it at home, it's always available. 

Honestly, I don't understand why the default setting for WiFi Calling is OFF.  Whenever I get a new phone, it's one of the first settings I change before I even leave the store!  I think I also had to call Verizon to activate it for my account with my first phone, but that was many years ago.

My phones have always had wifi calling on when I picked them up. The issue with wifi calling is that if you step out of wifi range while on a phone call the call will usually drop. VoLTE was supposed to help fix that but it still seems to happen. So most of the time I turn wifi calling off and only turn it on for certain reasons. 

The reason why phones don't send sms and mms messages or calls with wifi calling of is those systems designs predate cell phones having internet access. There are a few proposed replacements like rcs available but most providers have no real incentive to implement them in an open way. Right now the only other option is to use a different application that runs over data, that is the reason why I recommend Signal. 

51 minutes ago, MuttMutt said:

My phones have always had wifi calling on when I picked them up. The issue with wifi calling is that if you step out of wifi range while on a phone call the call will usually drop. VoLTE was supposed to help fix that but it still seems to happen. So most of the time I turn wifi calling off and only turn it on for certain reasons. 

The reason why phones don't send sms and mms messages or calls with wifi calling of is those systems designs predate cell phones having internet access. There are a few proposed replacements like rcs available but most providers have no real incentive to implement them in an open way. Right now the only other option is to use a different application that runs over data, that is the reason why I recommend Signal. 

Most carriers do SMS and MMS over the internet with wifi calling enabled.  

Wifi calling basically makes the internet a cell tower.  The carrier encapsulates SMS/MMS within the stream.  I routinely get SMS from non-iPhone users such as family & friends with Androids to my phone while on ships.  It's truly what's great about the way it works.  

I also use Signal for other family members out of the country.  Their cell provider charges for international SMS so while I can SMS them for free, they can't reply without incurring fees.  That's the only reason we use Signal.

I engineered the cellular backhaul for the Virgin Islands as they upgraded from TDMA.  It all runs over IP these days, even the cell tower backhaul to the central switching equipment that integrates with other carriers and manages things like roaming agreements with other worldwide partners.   There are many protocols in play but it's all tunneled over IP just like wifi calling does to a handset over the internet.

I'm on ship right now and have been getting SMS messages as the state has been receiving my COVID test results.  The results were emailed directly to me and it always takes a few days for the state to get the results and for them to update the state health records.

If anyone is currently having issues, and are with Verizon, there are nationwide issues with wifi calling. We are having them ourselves, and so are others across the nation. It’s Verizon, not the phones. Ours worked yesterday morning, and reset doesn’t fix it because I did that:

https://www.mod-gadget.com/wifi-calling-down-for-all-verizon-customers-carrier/

On 9/28/2021 at 2:38 PM, Scoular said:

Hahaha it sure is! We fly out on Saturday and sail on Sunday. I’m so excited that I already finished packing 2 weeks ago and usually I’m a day before packer! I don’t know what’s got into me! 😁😁

I am so excited for you and your Mum!  It is going to be a trip of a lifetime in that Suite!  Have lots of fun!

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile since my initial post and I want to be sure I have all this advice correct...

Android - Galaxy Note 10 Plus

Getting Voom

When I get on ship? I turn off airplane mode.

Do I turn Mobile Data off also?  (I remember having to do that on prior cruises)

Turn on wifi (see RC's wifi connection under connections?)

Turn on wifi calling.

Text or call as I usually do.  No need for Whatsapp or any messenger service.

Thanks so much!

On 11/14/2021 at 5:12 AM, levib2 said:

It's been awhile since my initial post and I want to be sure I have all this advice correct...

Android - Galaxy Note 10 Plus

Getting Voom

When I get on ship? I turn off airplane mode.

Do I turn Mobile Data off also?  (I remember having to do that on prior cruises)

Turn on wifi (see RC's wifi connection under connections?)

Turn on wifi calling.

Text or call as I usually do.  No need for Whatsapp or any messenger service.

Thanks so much!

You want to turn ON airplane mode to avoid connecting to the ship's cell tower.

• 1 month later...

Although this is an older Topic I would like to ask a question about Voom and WhatsApp.

I am confused about the ex: WhatsApp. Can someone confirm this. Then  I won't pay for a Voom plan. I don't need streaming. All my family and friends using WhatsApp and I wanna share photos and Videos with them. With a voom plan i have access to the wifi. Can i connect to WhatsApp and risk be charged for that or I am not able to connect to the wifi? WhatsApp has the most users worldwide so it doesn't make sense to exclude that service on Royalcaribbean Ships.

604674627_Bildschirmfoto2022-01-13um14_15_35.thumb.png.0bc35a6aa809595be78f9dfb0d352ca5.png

1 hour ago, Michael_Austria said:

Although this is an older Topic I would like to ask a question about Voom and WhatsApp.

I am confused about the ex: WhatsApp. Can someone confirm this. Then  I won't pay for a Voom plan. I don't need streaming. All my family and friends using WhatsApp and I wanna share photos and Videos with them. With a voom plan i have access to the wifi. Can i connect to WhatsApp and risk be charged for that or I am not able to connect to the wifi? WhatsApp has the most users worldwide so it doesn't make sense to exclude that service on Royalcaribbean Ships.

604674627_Bildschirmfoto2022-01-13um14_15_35.thumb.png.0bc35a6aa809595be78f9dfb0d352ca5.png

You would  need a Voom plan to connect to wifi to use WhatsApp.  If you don't need to stream videos then the surf is fine, but if you want to share videos and photos you're really hampered by just surf.  If you're just texting then Surf is fine.

• 1 year later...
On 9/27/2021 at 5:01 PM, Pooch said:

Since we are on the topic, is the a reason or concern that would necessitate turning WiFi calling off?  Does my carrier (Verizon) charge a fee to use it?

Hi guys

Turning off WiFi calling may be necessary if there are connectivity issues or if the user prefers to use their cellular network. As for Verizon, it's best to check their policies regarding WiFi calling fees as they may vary depending on the user's plan.

5 hours ago, Aleena said:

Hi guys

Turning off WiFi calling may be necessary if there are connectivity issues or if the user prefers to use their cellular network. As for Verizon, it's best to check their policies regarding WiFi calling fees as they may vary depending on the user's plan.

For those reading this clear attempt at spam, no one charges a fee for wifi calling

8 hours ago, Aleena said:

Hi guys

There's no such thing as WiFi calling fees.  You obviously need an internet connection but that has nothing to do with your carrier.

• 2 months later...
On 4/20/2023 at 11:28 AM, Aleena said:

Hi

Disabling WiFi calling can be a viable solution for connectivity problems or personal preference towards cellular networks. It's crucial to review Verizon's WiFi calling fee policies since they can differ based on the user's plan. free fire name