Voom question ....so confused

levib2

10 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Problems would be solved if everyone just switched to Android phones. Just sayin'.  🙂

At one point when I upgraded phones, I considered going Android, but the phone guy told me that most people he saw change platforms ended up going back.  

I have an Android based Fire tablet that I struggle with….I recently got an iPad mini and all is well again 😁

I am on android using Google fi for service. For quite a few years even before Google fi I have been able to text or call over wifi.

For a while now I have been using Signal https://www.signal.org/ and have been able to set it up to work on devices with no service or sim card. But on a device with service it drops in and works for sms and mms messages from anyone. I don't use what's app because it's already been showed that someone had keys to the back end and can read anything they want. 

3 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

This is really puzzling me.  From experience and from Google searches, I can see that I can only send messages to other iOS users via WiFi.  So how did your friend get your text on their Galaxy 10+

Not sure. 

I never realized it wasn’t a normal thing until I read this thread. 

It’s a group text with three of us…two iPhones and one Android.  Maybe that has something to do with it 🤷‍♂️

Been reading through a conversation I had awhile ago with RC stating the same as below which is on their site:The Voom Surf Voyage Package keeps you connected with friends and family all cruise long with 24 hour access. Text on messenger services, browse the web and send emails with VOOM high speed internet.

I don't think we can text as usual by just hitting the text button on our phones when aboard the ship.  

https://www.techyuga.com/iphone-cant-send-or-receive-texts/

If your messages aren’t going to non-iPhone users, you have to make sure that MMS and SMS are both on. 

Apple first uses iMessage. Those won’t go to non-Apple products. So, in Settings, Messages, scroll down. Make sure that Send as SMS is toggled on, then MMS Messaging and Group Messaging below that are also toggled on. You may have to do a hard reboot for this to take affect.

I get messages from all products while on the ship and on Airplane Mode, Wifi turned on, with no issues.  

Hope this helps.  The article above gives some info too. 🙂

PG Cruiser, glad you got yours to work! 

The only other thing I found was to do the following, if that doesn’t work for you, Pooch:

Reset Network Settings

You can also try resetting the network settings if your iPhone not receiving texts for Android. Generally, faulty network settings can cause this error and you may need to reset it to default to solve the error. You can reset the network settings by going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings > Enter your passcode and the network settings will be reset to default.

1 hour ago, levib2 said:

Been reading through a conversation I had awhile ago with RC stating the same as below which is on their site:The Voom Surf Voyage Package keeps you connected with friends and family all cruise long with 24 hour access. Text on messenger services, browse the web and send emails with VOOM high speed internet.

I don't think we can text as usual by just hitting the text button on our phones when aboard the ship.  

Incorrect. I do it every time.  My android phone is WiFi call enabled and I can make regular phone calls and text as normal when hooked up to Voom (on airplane mode).

No problem PG Cruiser...Loved the help.  Tried it this morning with my Galaxy Note 10 Plus 2 ways:

1.  Leaving airplane mode off, wifi only on....Text did not go through

2.  Leaving airplane mode off, wifi AND wifi calling on...Text went through.

So onboard I guess using #2 is the answer.  

Thanks everyone!

Forgot to say that if I put wifi calling on without wifi also (airplane mode on) the text will not go thorough.

Edited by levib2
forgot something

Just seen this thread..I'm an mobility consultant so have dabbled in this quite a lot.

• WiFi calling can be used to make/receive texts and calls over Voom internet but note this feature is both phone model, AND network service provider dependent. Check with your network and test on your home WiFi before leaving. 
  • Apple iMessage can  also use a WiFi connection to send/receive texts and calls but only to other iPhone users. This is NOT dependent on your network service provider supporting WiFi calling.
  • You can use the RCI SmartPhone app to send text messages to other passengers who also have the RCI SmartPHone app via the on-board WiFi without purchasing the full Voom package. As others have stated, it's $2 per person per day. The only downside I found to this is that it doesn't use the notification feature of the phone, you need to have the app open to see if you have new messages, so not as convenient as native messaging using WhatsApp etc.
  • Other smartphone messaging apps work well for messaging and voice calls but need the Voom package of course (I've used WhatsApp, Telegram, Google messaging)
  • It's relatively trivial to purchase one Voom package and share it across a family sharing a cabin. Windows laptops and Android phone have features where you can setup your own hotspot for your family to us, and piggyback of one single Voom plan

Hope this helps

Cheers

Neil

10 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

So... is WiFi Calling ON on your iPhone?

Yes. 

I’m sorry this fact didn’t dawn on me. 

I was looking at my phone’s settings but this one simple thing eluded me since it’s always on here at home. 

I’m glad you are all set for your next cruise. 

10 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

I had to turn on "WiFi Calling" under the Setting > Cellular menu.  My Android user friend got my text and texted back.

I was just getting ready to post this. As it happens I have both an iPhone 12 (personal) and a Galaxy S-10 (work). In both cases, to use the wifi for messaging, the WIFI Calling has to be on.

iPhone: Settings -> Phone -> Wi-Fi Calling

Galaxy: Settings (gear) -> Connections -> Wi-Fi Calling

29 minutes ago, mathbees said:

I was just getting ready to post this. As it happens I have both an iPhone 12 (personal) and a Galaxy S-10 (work). In both cases, to use the wifi for messaging, the WIFI Calling has to be on.

iPhone: Settings -> Phone -> Wi-Fi Calling

Galaxy: Settings (gear) -> Connections -> Wi-Fi Calling

I'm very happy with the outcome of the discussions on this thread.  If people encounter this situation, they'd know what to do.  (I myself am not good with "under the hood" stuff on my devices)