Izumi for lunch

ninjakitty

I'm really excited to try sushi for the time while on my cruise.  My son has zero interest in doing this, so I was wondering if  a) Izumi is open for lunch b) if so, is the credit the same as for dinner (UDP here), c) any recommendations for a first time sushi experience?  I'm sure the staff will be able to advise me well, but I like having multiple input when I know absolutely NOTHING about something.  Thank you in advance!

1 hour ago, ninjakitty said:

I'm really excited to try sushi for the time while on my cruise.  My son has zero interest in doing this, so I was wondering if  a) Izumi is open for lunch b) if so, is the credit the same as for dinner (UDP here), c) any recommendations for a first time sushi experience?  I'm sure the staff will be able to advise me well, but I like having multiple input when I know absolutely NOTHING about something.  Thank you in advance!

Yes, Izumi is typically open for lunch. Note it is normally open only on sea days for lunch. Dining credit from UDP is still the same $35 at lunch. First time experience, depends on what your comfort factor is when it comes to eating raw fish. If raw fish is an "ick" factor just keep in mind any rolls with fish or sashimi listed will typically have raw fish. Shrimp, crab, and krab will be cooked. Don't forget Izumi also has kitchen cooked dishes if you're not ready to venture down the sushi trail. 

If you're willing to be adventurous you could always tell your server to go the "omakase"/"I'll leave it up to you" route.

My own personal selections based off going Prix Fixe way: crispy rice spicy tuna, spicy crispy shrimp roll, champagne lobster in yuzu wrap roll, and for desserts whatever catches my eye at that point. 

2 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Yes, Izumi is typically open for lunch. Note it is normally open only on sea days for lunch. Dining credit from UDP is still the same $35 at lunch. First time experience, depends on what your comfort factor is when it comes to eating raw fish. If raw fish is an "ick" factor just keep in mind any rolls with fish or sashimi listed will typically have raw fish. Shrimp, crab, and krab will be cooked. Don't forget Izumi also has kitchen cooked dishes if you're not ready to venture down the sushi trail. 

If you're willing to be adventurous you could always tell your server to go the "omakase"/"I'll leave it up to you" route.

My own personal selections based off going Prix Fixe way: crispy rice spicy tuna, spicy crispy shrimp roll, champagne lobster in yuzu wrap roll, and for desserts whatever catches my eye at that point. 

Thank you CGTLH.  I had to look-up what the difference is between sushi and sashimi.  (Such a newb am I.)  Raw fish does not sound appealing, but tens of millions of people are goofy for it, so I'm going to give it a try.  The worst that could happen is I don't like it.  Then I'll just go the Dog House after😆  I was Googling images of the sushi you mentioned.  When the images for the champagne lobster in yuzu wrap roll shot your photos from May 2019 were given!

7 minutes ago, ninjakitty said:

I was Googling images of the sushi you mentioned.

Cross posting for reference 

Upper left: Crispy rice spicy tuna; Lower left: Spider roll, no unagi sauce or masago; Middle: Champagne lobster in yuzu wrap roll, champagne sauce on side; Right: Spicy crispy shrimp roll, no unagi sauce and togarashi on side (stuff in the small bowl).

Beverage in the glass of doom (martini glass): Spicy Okinawa

1 hour ago, CGTLH said:

Cross posting for reference 

Upper left: Crispy rice spicy tuna; Lower left: Spider roll, no unagi sauce or masago; Middle: Champagne lobster in yuzu wrap roll, champagne sauce on side; Right: Spicy crispy shrimp roll, no unagi sauce and togarashi on side (stuff in the small bowl).

Beverage in the glass of doom (martini glass): Spicy Okinawa

Thank you!  I'm going to have so much looking up these words and educating myself🤩

14 hours ago, DandA said:

I did the Sushi & Saki lunch on the Adventure last month, and I would highly recommend that one.  Other wise you can order ala carte

Is that an onboard experience that you book or something you just order with the server?  Thank you for letting me know about this option.

Not to be a killjoy but I was invited to eat at Izumi on Oasis with another cruiser who had the unlimited dining, I did not.  We were the ONLY guests in the restaurant beside the sushi making class.  Service was atrocious.  My friend ordered the prefixe menu, and I ordered one item everything took forever to come.  The server brought all of her items then I sat and waited until he brought mine separately.  I love sashimi but eight tiny pieces is not worth 21.00 plus the seaweed salad which I normally love was awful.  It had absolutely no seasoning whatsoever. It was like eating seaweed had I sucked it in my mouth straight from the ocean.  Again we were the only ones in the restaurant and we waited and waited and waited to be checked on, then I had to ask for my bill. On the plus side the Mio Sake was wonderful. 

15 hours ago, wozswoman said:

Not to be a killjoy but I was invited to eat at Izumi on Oasis with another cruiser who had the unlimited dining, I did not.  We were the ONLY guests in the restaurant beside the sushi making class.  Service was atrocious.  My friend ordered the prefixe menu, and I ordered one item everything took forever to come.  The server brought all of her items then I sat and waited until he brought mine separately.  I love sashimi but eight tiny pieces is not worth 21.00 plus the seaweed salad which I normally love was awful.  It had absolutely no seasoning whatsoever. It was like eating seaweed had I sucked it in my mouth straight from the ocean.  Again we were the only ones in the restaurant and we waited and waited and waited to be checked on, then I had to ask for my bill. On the plus side the Mio Sake was wonderful. 

How awful!  Hopefully you addressed it to the staff; I'm sure that this is NOT the type of service (or lack thereof) that RCL would want to go unnoticed and unresolved.