How much to tip in the beginning of a cruise?

harmenise

If you are tipping the room steward and bartenders at the beginning of the cruise in order to get to know them, etc, roughly how much do you tip?  I'm just clueless about tipping.  Is $20 enough?  And then they will get the prepaid gratuities at the end?  Should it be more or less?  We are going to be on board for Christmas, so I'll want to give a little extra in honour of the holidays, but I don't even know where to start! Any ideas?

Thank you for all the answers! Long story short we have a friend picking us up from the ship and we're gonna hang out with them until our flight home.

To harmenise...that's what I was curious about, and I was thinking $20 to the stateroom attendant on the first day as well. And yes, they'll still get the prepaid gratuities at the end.

Crazy thing, someone told me once that they tip the room attendant at the beginning of their cruise and get amazing service.  I tried it on the Allure and got the worse service I've ever gotten.  He even forgot to bring my luggage tags.  I have given some cash during the cruise if I was getting great service but I usually wait until the end. 

I tip throughout my stay at a hotel and have a wait-and-see attitude. If the regular housekeeper is doing a stellar job and responding to my requests even for little stuff I tip and make sure to do so regularly throughout the stay. I always do it after it happens and then make a point of remembering people. I really feel privileged to be able to travel as much as we do and make sure I reward the people who make my vacation time memorable--and frankly it's all about service for me--the ship could go anywhere and I would be most happy with great service--hell it could stay in port---so I like to reward because good service should be rewarded. 

If you are tipping the room steward and bartenders at the beginning of the cruise in order to get to know them, etc, roughly how much do you tip?  I'm just clueless about tipping.  Is $20 enough? 

I tip the room steward on our first meeting....and generally, $20.   I don't tip bartenders since I rarely see them again and don't drink enough to establish a regular bartender.  I know they are getting the mandatory assessed tip with every drink.    That being said, I always go to the bank and get $50 in singles because you will always need them.  Every room delivery will always get 2-3 bucks and the porter 5 per bag which doesn't include the bag I am carrying.    

I believe in tipping for service provided... not bribing someone in hopes I get good service. I gladly left my room attendant a big tip at the end of my last cruise... as well as our waiters on the last night... in addition to the auto-grat that we pre-paid.

I don't like the thought of a bribe tip either. Although I'm guilty of it, that or guilt is my main reason for tipping. If a bar is busy I'll tip in order to be able to get his attention next time, Total bribe. If my waiter is just ok I'll still tip just because I don't want to be 'that guy'.

I do tip because I'm amazed at the service, it's just rare, normally it's guilt or bribe.

Personally I believe the best way to tip is to give them a wow card or really talk them up in you survey through Royal. My last cruise I was really impressed with the eagerness of my assistant waiter so I typed up a long statement on how she impressed me and on how it improved my cruise.

I can only hope these things go on to help their career.

I don't tip anyone until end of cruise except bar servers in lounges, and do that as we go each evening.  Get to know the cabin steward better each day and give them candy or some amenities as we go.  They get the gratuities each day and we tip extra at the end if the service warrants it, as it usually does.  They like tips and we tip at end, but they also like you to talk about their families and how they are all doing.  Get to know them

I don't like the thought of a bribe tip either. Although I'm guilty of it, that or guilt is my main reason for tipping. If a bar is busy I'll tip in order to be able to get his attention next time, Total bribe. If my waiter is just ok I'll still tip just because I don't want to be 'that guy'.

I do tip because I'm amazed at the service, it's just rare, normally it's guilt or bribe.

Personally I believe the best way to tip is to give them a wow card or really talk them up in you survey through Royal. My last cruise I was really impressed with the eagerness of my assistant waiter so I typed up a long statement on how she impressed me and on how it improved my cruise.

I can only hope these things go on to help their career.

I agree with Jerel on the wow card, survey and statement. I do the same and make recommendations if they can handle more responsibility. Be sure to include your cruising experience. That will add credibility to your comments/recommendations.  

I agree with Jerel on the wow card, survey and statement. I do the same and make recommendations if they can handle more responsibility. Be sure to include your cruising experience. That will add credibility to your comments/recommendations.

Good point about including experience for credibility. Next time I'll tell them I'm a Insider and I know Matt Hochberg, lol.