Pick your cabin or let RCL pick it?

Carotthat

We have always chosen our own cabins.  I think of it as a risk assessment. If you let them choose, you may end up in a less desirable cabin (poor visibility, noise, etc). On the other hand, some people get upgraded this way, as well. Personally, we prefer to consider all the factors, like location relative to elevators and activities we know we'll participate in and go from there. Yup, I even use online tools, like cruisemapper.com, to see what others have said about the cabin.

Did this last month, guaranteed suite. Been told several times you usually end up with a junior suite and sure enough that's what we got. But for some reason it was a handicap so it was actually a grand suite with ADA devices etc. If you really want what you are looking at get it otherwise you'll regret it. I'll never do that again even though we were a little fortunate.

I've done both and the times I've regretted my cabin it was always ones that I chose.

Some things to consider:

1. Is a really desirable cabin, such as aft balcony, available?
  2. How much is the price difference and how important is that to you?
  3. Are you getting more than one cabin for your group? If so, you probably want to choose your cabin so you're all together.
  4. Does this affect your ability to get  refundable deposit?

Lastly, a guarantee cabin is really no different than going with a Royal Up bid.  Yet people who would never go with a guarantee cabin will be excited to do a Royal Up bid.

We have never previously done anything but selecting our own stateroom. Sometimes we are travelling with the whole extended family and want a 2BR suite. Other times the itinerary makes it worth (to us) the extra cost to get an aft-facing balcony or JS.

We just booked a JS GTY for an Alaska trip on Ovation. There were no JS available with the "select your stateroom" option on a date we specifically wanted to travel (joining a group already going on that trip).

3 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

If you want connecting cabins, you'd have to pick them yourself.  If you do a "guarantee" it just means you'll get something in that category or higher, there's no way to indicate you want connecting cabins, and a great chance they may be nowhere near each other.

I agree with this. 

if you want something specific like this, don’t do a guaranteed cabin(s). 

When we book guarantees, we literally do not care where our cabin is. 

Each time we've booked GTY cabins it has been canceled or we did a Lift and Shift and we picked a room at the same price.  For us, we spend almost zero time in the room and therefore will book the cheapest room available.  Even when traveling with people, cost is the driving factor.  I also think many people put too much weight into the room selection.  We've never selected our hotel room and never had an issue, so we figure it's the same on the ship.  We've booked GTY cabins for our 2022 cruise on the Oasis with my in-laws and know that we may or may not be near each other.  That's fine, we can meet on the ship 🙂

Of course, YMMV since many people have reasons for needing to be near other people, but for us it's not an issue.

We usually go with a guarantee cabin if it's available - has landed us some nice rooms in the past. Once was a Central Park balcony with a larger-than-usual balcony, once was an ocean-view on the front of the ship with the extra-large windows, and once was a JS with the extra half-bath toilet.

Obviously, YMMV, but it's been good to us.