What did Fain mean by this?

Just read the story on Matt’s blog and I’m curious what everyone thinks Richard Fain meant by this:

"Our focus is therefore on 2022, not the remaining months of 2021," Mr. Fain admitted. "Obviously, we don't like giving up on any period, but we are more determined to do well in 2022 and 2023, even if that means accepting short term hits this year."

So for 2021 does this mean big discounts to sell more of the empty cabins (even with reduced capacity) and take the a hit on passenger margins?  Or maintain pricing and continue to sail with very empty ships?  I’m assuming he doesn’t mean cancelling some very empty sailings in order to maintain operations going into 2022.

Thoughts?

full story:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/09/23/royal-caribbean-group-ceo-looks-2022-when-cruise-bookings-really-take

Yeah I think he means the sales will be blah, no point in trying very hard to get people top book in 2021 with all the testing and restrictions. Instead focus all their energy and resources on improving bookings for 2022. I also think he has given up on the CDC being "fair"

The mitigation protocols must be working as we'd hear about it in the headlines.  Even if the CSO is lifted, as much as I dislike some of the inconsistent protocols, it would be prudent for the lines to be "PC" about it (and continue) through '21 and maybe early '22.   The enthusiastic base will continue jumping through the hoops, but the protocols can dissuade the new  clientele who drove the need for larger and more extravagant ships. " Cooperate and graduate (for now)"

43 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

The mitigation protocols must be working as we'd hear about it in the headlines.  Even if the CSO is lifted, as much as I dislike some of the inconsistent protocols, it would be prudent for the lines to be "PC" about it (and continue) through '21 and maybe early '22.   The enthusiastic base will continue jumping through the hoops, but the protocols can dissuade the new  clientele who drove the need for larger and more extravagant ships. " Cooperate and graduate (for now)"

Coming out of Florida its some of the opposite reaction when I try and convince others to go ... why would I want to pay money to deal with more protocols (testing, masking, restricting access to areas of the ship) than we have in place on land.

11 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Yeah I think he means the sales will be blah, no point in trying very hard to get people top book in 2021 with all the testing and restrictions. Instead focus all their energy and resources on improving bookings for 2022. I also think he has given up on the CDC being "fair"

Yes, that is my understanding as well.

Remember, this video was made for travel agents.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:
So my cruise accounted for 7 of the entire fleet's 41?

How long was your cruise? I doubt they will be getting a lot of COVID cases off the 3 day ones (that's my first planned cruise). Even if someone had it, it may not be enough time to actually track transmission. My guess is you will see more cases on longer cruises, because it may be difficult to say if someone contracted it on a 3-day cruise vice getting it on a plane or on shore before the cruise.

19 minutes ago, bryresangel said:

How long was your cruise? I doubt they will be getting a lot of COVID cases off the 3 day ones (that's my first planned cruise). Even if someone had it, it may not be enough time to actually track transmission. My guess is you will see more cases on longer cruises, because it may be difficult to say if someone contracted it on a 3-day cruise vice getting it on a plane or on shore before the cruise.

7 day cruise. But the odds of any of those 7 being contracted on board are slim.

If there was a documented case of covid spread on board, it'd be front page news