Cruise credit

Rbudd

I did an MEI Quote for my 2021 cruise and there was no OBC offered.

That's not to say they may not offer some out for more repeat customers or as a post-booking treat, but I didn't see any mentioned in the quote.

(All that said...the service reviews here are so great, I'm *still* debating switching to MEI despite the loss in OBC I'll take)

MEI doesn't give OBC as a bonus for booking, a practice in the TA community known as "rebating", where TAs give clients a portion of the commission they make from Royal Caribbean in advance in order to garner a new booking.

You will, however, get excellent service, especially if you run into a problem with Royal Caribbean.  And you certainly will get every discount or OBC offered by the cruise line.

We have sailed on several cruises booked through our MEI TA and have received OBC for each of them. The OBC doesn't show up until the day we board the ship and is not listed in the quote at the onset of the reservation. In our experience when we ask for a quote on a specific cruise the reply comes with a section that states "As part of my service I continue to watch for all future special offers and I automatically adjust my clients reservations if the new offers are applicable. I am also available to help book your excursions, spa, specialty dining reservations and more if needed. And I will be your single point of contact for any and all questions or concerns. Please also note that I always include an On-Board Credit as a thank you for using my services. And my services are always Free! "

I always try to give OBC or a gift in the room. This was pre-COVID, and right now I'm just trying to stay afloat, no pun intended. 

Gifts will start up again soon as long as people keep up with traveling. We don't get paid until after clients travel, so there is still not real money coming in just yet. 

But I just cannot give the huge rebates that some big agencies or wholesalers do. However, I stand by my service. 

26 minutes ago, fireclan said:

@Sharla May I ask is that how all TA's or Travel Agencies are paid? After the client travels? How do cancellations affect getting paid?

I can't speak for other TAs necessarily, but Royal Caribbean (or most suppliers) pay the agency after final payment is made. Then the travel agency pays the agent the month after travel is completed. 

If a cancellation occurs before final payment, no commission. If a cancellation occurs after final, there may or may not be commission. Commission even gets recalled sometimes by the supplier.

Basically, though, you book a trip and cancel I don't get paid. It's kind of like a return of a product to a store.

There was some commission protection last year from a lot of suppliers but only after final payments were made and only in certain circumstances- If FCC is used and a cancellation happens, no commission.

It has been a tough year and a half.

@Sharla "Basically, though, you book a trip and cancel I don't get paid. It's kind of like a return of a product to a store."

Oh good grief! I had no idea this was how it worked. I used  TA/agency but recently had to cancel a cruise (first time I've ever done that!) due to the vaccination requirement. I have three more booked through them which, in all probability, will also have to be cancelled. Gosh, I would LOVE to be allowed to cruise! I honestly feel bad knowing I contracted someone to provide a service for me, which they did and I was satisfied with, and now they will not get paid for that service. How can I in good conscience expect assistance from them if I have a problem getting my refund or other issues? I previously booked cruises directly through Royal Caribbean but when I retired (right before the SHTF) and knew I wanted to book several, I decided to give the business to a travel agent/agency. Now I'm feeling guilty for not just handling it myself. 

If there is a cruising future for my husband and I (and we're both hoping at some point there is!), this may impact how I arrange those cruises...I would at least give it some serious thought. Thanks so much @Sharla for the information and your honest answers. I was unable to get this information from the agent/agency I used.