Formal Nights

ChrisE

Odyssey last week did have 2 formal nights on a 8-day like normal. I would say maybe just over half of the people onboard participated.

Also - fun fact. The cruise compass for the first Formal Night said the MDR dress code was formal for dinner but the 2nd had the "new" Wear Your Best. I found that interesting.

8 minutes ago, ChrisE said:

Great thanks for the feedback didn't want to bring the suits if no one participated. I always like getting dressed up on cruises for a couple nights. 

I didn't bring a suit, I just wore a tucked in long-sleeved dress shirt for both nights.  Some guests were wearing casual attire.

I like formal nights.  Loved getting dressed up but seems people are not as formal as they used to be.  But lots of people still dress up and I like it.  I will dress up other evenings as well because I don't often have a place to wear those clothes.  Each to his\her own.  Just enjoy

Right now with the Windjammer being shut down for dinner it will be difficult to enforce a true formal night. For me I look at a vacation as a way of not dressing up. The more casual the better, it's one of the few times when all of my tattoos are actually visible. But to each their own. There is usually enough room on the ship so that everyone can enjoy their vacation in whatever way they choose. But I would think that with Windjammer down in the evenings they may be shifting the casual people to one of the rooms and this who dressed up to another. 

We used to dress up on formal nights every time; however, as we get older, we mostly do more of a business casual.  That being said, it doesn't bother me in the least if someone wants to wear shorts to dinner.  Once everyone is sitting down you can't tell what they are wearing anyway.  It makes it easier on packing leaving the formal stuff at home as I tend to over pack anyway. 

On 9/23/2021 at 8:36 PM, CruiseGus said:

been that way on mas market cruises for years already, so very few want to dress up on a cruise anymore

Agreed. But the main dining room was more enforced before. I walked around in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt woke avoiding the pictures and dining room. I was more than happy to be able to just find a place to sit and people watch. Now it's not going to matter at all. 

I figure it’s what I choose to make of it and I like to look spiffy for an evening  

Other than when our kids got married, Formal night/Dress your best is the only time I’ve worn a tie in the past 20+ years. 

We had two formal nights on our Adventure cruise this month. 

on my last cruise to Alaska and the second formal Night was on my Birthday.  I wore a dress suit as I usually do however, One of our new friends we met on the cruise bought me a gift at the last port we visited and I had to wear it. When I entered the dining room I had all eyes on me!

DSC00955.JPG