VOOM Questions

Buzzard05

A couple of VOOM questions here:

1.  How is the wifi on Navigator?  Has anybody used it since the "upgrades"?

2.  Do I just need to purchase one plan for one adult (pricing says "per adult") and then just share the plan with the other members of my family.  Meaning, If I get a 3 device plan...does that mean I can have 3 devices logged into the wifi simultaneously...regardless of whose devices they are?

Royal charges by the number of devices that are signed on at any one time.  So you can purchase just 1 plan and share it with other members of your family.  But you will be limited to having 1 device signed on at a time.  If you want to have more than 1 device signed on at the same time, you must purchase additional plans.

If that is the case, how do the multiple device plans work?   Do those require me to register each device, up to 3, but only one can access the internet at once (meaning, I couldn't my cellphone and laptop connected at the same time)?

To change devices, you sign out of 1 device and then back on with another device.  So if you buy a 3 device plan, you can have up to 3 devices logged in at one time.  If you had 5 devices with you, you would just have to sign out of at least one to allow one of the other 2 remaining devices to function.

Okay...I'm sorry for being so dense on this, but I "think" I'm getting it.

Tell me if this is accurate:

I get the three device plan....we have four phones.

My two sons stayed signed in constantly on their two phones.

I sign in with my phone....in order for my wife to use her phone, I would have to sign off of my phone...but my two sons could stay signed in on theirs.

Correct?

Okay...I'm sorry for being so dense on this, but I "think" I'm getting it.

Tell me if this is accurate:

I get the three device plan....we have four phones.

My two sons stayed signed in constantly on their two phones.

I sign in with my phone....in order for my wife to use her phone, I would have to sign off of my phone...but my two sons could stay signed in on theirs.

Correct?

You are correct ! 

If you buy a 3 device package, you will be given 3 different password. So at any time, 3 out of your 4 phone (or tablet, or laptop) will be able to signed in simultaneously. 

You are correct ! 

If you buy a 3 device package, you will be given 3 different password. So at any time, 3 out of your 4 phone (or tablet, or laptop) will be able to signed in simultaneously. 

This is a change from how it used to be pre-Voom. Then, when you signed up for a multiple device package, you used a single username/password that permitted that many concurrent connections.

If you have N different passwords, it'd be harder to coordinate a large pool of concurrent devices. That could be a pain if the number of people exceeds the number of concurrent connections.

If you prepurchase your internet package (which I suggest you do for a discount), you will get an access code when you check in at the port.

When you want to log off of a device, make sure you go to logoff.com. Simply turning off the wifi will not work (unless it's been 2 hours and then the connection times out).

If you are using an iPhone and are connected to the wifi and can't get the login screen to come up, use captive.apple.com. Not sure what it is for android devices.

We copied and pasted the access code into the notes on each device so we always had it. Or you could take a pic of it.

You are correct !

If you buy a 3 device package, you will be given 3 different password. So at any time, 3 out of your 4 phone (or tablet, or laptop) will be able to signed in simultaneously.

We were given one access code and if too many devices were logged in, we would get a pop up telling us so. This was 2 weeks ago on freedom, but we pre purchased our plan.

Also, even if you don't plan on streaming anything, I would still get surf + stream for the higher speeds. We had this and at prime times of the day, it could still be painfully slow

Agreed. These days I advocate getting Surf & Stream regardless of what the person wants to do with it.

Onboard Oasis the beginning of September I had a 2 device Surf+Stream plan.  I got one password.  My phone and my wife's phone both signed on at the same time.  

If I wanted to use my tablet, I just turned off the wifi on my phone (android) and then logged on with my Surface tablet.  No problems.  Did the reverse when required.

Same worked for my wife with iphone / ipad.  

We never had to log-out in order to change devices.

Got it.  We will be traveling with two teenage boys who will probably be logged in constantly...but my wife and I can "share" a login (so I can purchase a 3 device plan instead of 4).

When you say "use captive.apple.com"....do you just open Safari and go that site and the login page appears?

Thanks again for all the good info here.

1. How is the wifi on Navigator? Has anybody used it since the "upgrades"?

I am on Navigator right now and I must say that voom is working pretty well. We had some problems during the first two days in the North Atlantic but since we are in the Mediterranian Sea it is good. I always can stream Netflix and Amazon videos and listen ti my spotify. Had some issues wirh Periscope, but now it is also working fine😄

I am on Navigator right now and I must say that voom is working pretty well. We had some problems during the first two days in the North Atlantic but since we are in the Mediterranian Sea it is good. I always can stream Netflix and Amazon videos and listen ti my spotify. Had some issues wirh Periscope, but now it is also working fine

I watched Dirk's scope this morning as they sailed away from Cartagena, and the quality on my phone was slightly grainy, but overall pretty good.

I watched Dirk's scope this morning as they sailed away from Cartagena, and the quality on my phone was slightly grainy, but overall pretty good.

That may be a Periscope thing and there wait they're compressing the video. I was using cellular (LTE) in Europe (Baltics) on the Serenade and as I watch the replays I see that some were not of the highest quality.

I am on Navigator right now and I must say that voom is working pretty well. We had some problems during the first two days in the North Atlantic but since we are in the Mediterranian Sea it is good. I always can stream Netflix and Amazon videos and listen ti my spotify. Had some issues wirh Periscope, but now it is also working fine

Thanks for the report!

My first time on the Liberty also. I have an Internet question.

I have surf and stream because I'll need to vpn into work sometimes on my week long cruise. Is logmein blocked? Or will my vpn work?

What do I need to know? Thanks in advance!

VPN and logmein should work fine with Surf and Stream.

Question regarding the 30% discount available in the cruise planner.  At what point does that 30% disappear?  A month, a week, a day out?  Just curious as I'm sailing 9 nights on NOTS 12/9.  I want to make sure I take advantage of the offer, but it's been available since I booked nearly 6 months ago. 

I haven't seen it disappear, but that doesn't mean it couldn't disappear at any time.

Your best bet is to buy it as soon as you can. It's fully refundable up until your cruise begins.