Laminated CDC card

martman

50 minutes ago, martman said:

Does Royal Caribbean accept a laminated cdc card. I had it laminated to keep the card in good shape

They only checked for type of vaccine, number of shots, and date(s) of vaccination.  I think they can see that info in a laminated card.

To be sure, better message them on their Facebook group and print out their reply.

If anyone gets a definitive answer please post it here. I also got my card laminated for safety the Staples where I did it was doing them for free so seemed like allot of people were doing it. On my card the stickers they used for my two shots cover all four of the printed lines so if they are doing boosters there is no room. I'm not sure what could be done if for some bizarre reason they would not accept a laminated card.

2 hours ago, AHollyS said:

Is there a plastic sleeve anyone is using? Some think the card can go in and out, but is still super slim. I have seen the "plague pass" carriers, but they are bulkier than I'm looking for. Ideally it would be paper clipped into my passport.

I just used some luggage tag holders that I had. I have the card in a Ziploc so it doesn't stick to the sides and put it in the luggage tag holder. The holders I have aren't the size specific for Royal Caribbean..they're the fatter rectangle kind. I still use them for the Royal tags but they also fit when I cheat on Royal with another cruiseline.

I did not laminate my card since I know laminating documents like birth certificates renders them useless.  That with the potential for boosters led me to use a plastic sleeve that came with a lanyard from a past cruise group booking.  As it turns out the CDC card fits perfectly in this plastic sleeve that was originally designed to carry an RF type SeaPass card that can't be punched.  

I generally remove my card from the sleeve when using to cruise but on one occasion I was told I could leave it in the plastic sleeve and they took photos of it like that.

I don't know that I've seen a policy in writing that states anything about laminated or not.  In general terms they aren't seeking ways to deny guests from boarding. 

Most often the people in cruise terminals who need to see it are 3rd party contractors who do work for many cruise lines and they are not police, lawyers, or doctors working a side job in a cruise terminal.  They are regular folks like us who have received training from different cruise lines so sometimes they start to blend the rules.  "What day is it?  What cruise line is this?"  sort of thing.  That can lead to some inadvertent implementation of policies. 

Once when boarding a ship in LA the terminal announced the Princess loyalty tiers for boarding because that is 95% of what they were used to.  That person probably has made that announcement a thousand times so they just said it out of habit.  Imagine the confusion when Platinum was invited to board before Pinnacle, Diamond Plus, Diamond, Emerald, etc.  🙂 

Terminal contractors are human and make mistakes.  

7 hours ago, AHollyS said:

Is there a plastic sleeve anyone is using? Some think the card can go in and out, but is still super slim. I have seen the "plague pass" carriers, but they are bulkier than I'm looking for. Ideally it would be paper clipped into my passport.

We ordered these and they are perfect.  They have a super duty ziploc at the top.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pack-Vaccination-Card-Protector-4x3-Inches-Immunization-Record-Vaccine-COVID-Holder-Clear-Vinyl-Plastic-Sleeve-Waterproof-Type-Resealable-Zip/310261891

11 hours ago, AHollyS said:

Amazon has quite a few sleeve choices.

6 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

I got this from my local CVS.  I think it's made specifically for the CDC Vaccine Card

IMG_5143.thumb.jpg.d43728ce86ffb76bf8c5581de213afa3.jpg

Actually it's a generic 3x4 card holder targeted towards ID tags at conventions.

But marketed as a vaccine card holder they can charge more.

Or at least that was my experience when I got 25 generic convention ID card holders (and lanyards) for $7 and a vaccine card holder was $5 for a pair.

6 minutes ago, martman said:

I asked if a laminated cdc card is ok to get on the ship. I'm not interested in plastic sleeves. That wasn't the question

A few people did address your question directly (in that there's nothing that says it cannot be, but nobody has had personal experience with it).  If you are on Facebook or Twitter you may want to send Royal Caribbean a direct message and ask them as they are pretty good about answering those.

On 9/23/2021 at 6:09 AM, KevinJ said:

If anyone gets a definitive answer please post it here. I also got my card laminated for safety the Staples where I did it was doing them for free so seemed like allot of people were doing it. On my card the stickers they used for my two shots cover all four of the printed lines so if they are doing boosters there is no room. I'm not sure what could be done if for some bizarre reason they would not accept a laminated card.

The doctor's office I work in has been was the location for our health systems' covid vaccine clinics (at least a couple thousand injections at this time).  If laminating the cards would have caused them to be invalid, we would have been instructed to notify patients upon receipt.  FYI- It's illegal to laminate your paper Medicare card🙄

On 9/23/2021 at 5:20 AM, AHollyS said:

I bought a new passport cover on Amazon that had a clear window you could slide the card into. Less than $20.

Since we are having a convo about the lamination. I will share this experience. Over the weekend we had the Akron Marathon. I volunteered at the race expo - bib pick up. To volunteer I had to show my vax docs. This is the first time I have EVER been asked to show it. I do carry my card in my in my wallet everyday.

To run the race you did have to be vaxed or have a negative test with in 72 hours of the race. I personally saw about 25% of the participants have laminated cards. 25% of the participants had two cards stapled together. We were not told lamination was a problem, in fact it was never mentioned as part of the check process.

My personal observation, laminated cards all were in nice condition. Un-laminated cards were often worn looking. Lots of rolled corners, folds, general signs of wear. Totally surprised how many double cards there were. Those were almost all had signs of lots of wear.

Not one had a nice sleeve like we are looking for/is shared here.

**I'm not advocating for lamination or non-lamination. Just sharing my observations about the few hundred cards I had access to.