Our first cruise on the Serenade of the Seas, Oct 2nd

Thomasbeau

My wife and I are taking our first ever cruise for our 20th anniversary. It's the Canada/NE cruise out of Boston embarking on October 2nd. We are extremely excited to take our first cruise but I have read a few reviews of the "Serenade" that were not very flattering. Many saying the ship is in desperate need of a refresh. Has anyone been on this ship lately that can give a current and honest review? How about must see's and do's aboard the ship? Is there anything we should avoid as newbies?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing everyone's opinions.

Tom

I just did 16 days from Copenhagen to Boston. It does show some wear here and there, but it is still a nice place to spend some time.

Had great service in the main dining room (my time dining deck 5), some good theater shows, some not so good. We do like the Radiance class ships very much, have been on them several times. 

Had a great room attendant. Room service was pretty good for that early morning carafe of coffee to have on the balcony before breakfast.

Food was average, sure never went hungry. Enjoyed the sea day Tuti Salad lunches.

I think someone said earlier of the ships in need of refurb, anyone can view the glass as half full or half empty.  These ships on their worst days are still very nice and meant to provide customers with the best possible vacation.  It's up to you how you view it.

We were on the Adventure of the Seas in June.  It's due for an October refurb.  It's still wonderful.  In fact, we enjoyed seeing some of the stuff that's going away (Jester's night club) for the last time.

My wife and I are taking our first ever cruise for our 20th anniversary. It's the Canada/NE cruise out of Boston embarking on October 2nd. We are extremely excited to take our first cruise but I have read a few reviews of the "Serenade" that were not very flattering. Many saying the ship is in desperate need of a refresh. Has anyone been on this ship lately that can give a current and honest review? How about must see's and do's aboard the ship? Is there anything we should avoid as newbies?

Tom

Disregard online reviews. You can find negative reviews about literally everything: steak, puppies, Star Wars and ice cream.

Serenade is a great ship.  Go with a positive attitude and focus on relaxing and enjoying your vacation!

I do realize that most of the people who review are the people just looking to complain about everything so I do take that into consideration. Thanks everyone for the input I really appreciate it. We are typically campers on our vacations so no matter what being on any ship will be a huge change for us. We have never had anyone serve us, wait on us or even make the bed. For 7 nights we'll probably feel like royalty. 11 days until we cruise and we can't wait.

My wife and I are taking our first ever cruise for our 20th anniversary. It's the Canada/NE cruise out of Boston embarking on October 2nd. We are extremely excited to take our first cruise but I have read a few reviews of the "Serenade" that were not very flattering. Many saying the ship is in desperate need of a refresh. Has anyone been on this ship lately that can give a current and honest review? How about must see's and do's aboard the ship? Is there anything we should avoid as newbies?

Tom

If you listen to last week's podcast, you'll hear my review of the Serenade. Personally, I thought she was in great shape and has one of the best Windjammers in there fleet thanks to Joseph, there Executive Sous Chef.

If you listen to last week's podcast, you'll hear my review of the Serenade. Personally, I thought she was in great shape and has one of the best Windjammers in there fleet thanks to Joseph, there Executive Sous Chef.

Here is a link to that episode http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-162-serenade-of-the-seas-listener-cruise-review

I think RC as a whole is making an effort to up the quality of the food on their ships (or at least reconfig the menu so that it appears to be "better").  My last cruise on Vision this past April had some of the best food we've had a cruise in recent memory.  Our tablemates were experienced Celebrity passengers, and they loved the food so much they booked another Royal cruise while onboard.

I think RC as a whole is making an effort to up the quality of the food on their ships (or at least reconfig the menu so that it appears to be "better"). My last cruise on Vision this past April had some of the best food we've had a cruise in recent memory. Our tablemates were experienced Celebrity passengers, and they loved the food so much they booked another Royal cruise while onboard.

They seemed to struggle in the MDR on there Serenade. I'm thinking it may have been a supply issue as main dishes were missing from the menu and the choices were less than normal. I'm looking forward to new menus, but we're doing all specialty dining next trip, so it may be awhile.