Alaskan cruises

Cruiser58

So we finally booked an Alaskan cruise for next fall. What advice would you have for clothing to pack? I don't think I'll be needing too many pairs of shorts or swim trunks!!😀 I plan on taking a base layer, my waterproof winter Columbia jacket, heavy socks, and med height cold weather boots (like that isn't going to make my suitcase weigh a ton!). Will blue jeans cut it, or do I need to take some waterproof pants? I'm thinking of taking a Frogg Toggs rain suit to go over my regular clothes.

We overpacked but it could be we had 72 F temperatures but for one stop.   

I think it depends on when you're going, what you plan on doing and your level of coldness?

I wore jeans with a couple of layers with a rain jacket and my hiking boots when touring the towns, ended up in my tee/jeans only.

When we where on our boat excursions it got chilly so layers with a hat and rain/wind jacket worked great.

Same for my husband.

When it was raining he mentioned he'd liked waterproof pants but wasn't really necessary.

We went August 27th 2021

We live in NC so it gets cold here but nothing like the North so our cold tolerance was medium/low.

We just returned from Alaska and temperatures were around 50-55 and rain every day.

Granted we are Canadian but we were fine with long sleeved shirts/sweaters under a waterproof jacket (not a winter jacket even) on all of our excursions. Along with gloves, hat and waterproof hiking boots. Wore shorts and long-sleeved t-shirts or dresses around the ship. Didn't need waterproof pants but we camp so have a lot of quick dry activewear 

17 hours ago, MicDay said:

We did an Alaskan cruise in May a few years ago and it was COLD!  My cold tolerance is good and 50 F in the spring feels balmy.  When we went in May, the temperature got well below 50 F gauging by the snowflakes. 

17 hours ago, MicDay said:

We went August 27th 2021

We will try another Alaskan cruise next August 29, 2022.   72 F is well above my cold tolerance.  My heat tolerance is about 85 F --- I would say 72 F is perfect.

32 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

We did an Alaskan cruise in May a few years ago and it was COLD!  My cold tolerance is good and 50 F in the spring is balmy.  When we went in May, the temperature was well below 50 F gauging by the snowflakes. 

We will try another Alaskan cruise next August 29, 2022.   72 F is well above my cold tolerance.  My heat tolerance is about 85 F --- I would say 72 F is perfect.

It was, I actually got a little tan sitting on my balcony just soaking in the beautiful landscape.  To warn you, a lot of people said it rained all week the prior week.  Thats what I heard August was, rainy weather, why we packed more.    

We went in July 2018 and wore a hooded sweatshirt often, a Northface type jacket, long sleeve shirts and our waterproof hiking shoes.  It didn't get hot until we were doing the land portion in Denali (it was an unusually hot couple of days).  We didn't take any shorts but would have worn them in Denali for sure.

24 minutes ago, Jill said:

We’re going next May and this past May, I checked a weather app for all of our ports. Mid 50’s with rain. 

I plan to check weather Apps a few days before we leave to get an idea of temps while we’re there. 

We are going next May as well. Good information here as to what to pack as this will be our first Alaska cruise ever! Really looking forward to it

1 hour ago, whitsmom said:

We went in July 2018 and wore a hooded sweatshirt often, a Northface type jacket, long sleeve shirts and our waterproof hiking shoes.  It didn't get hot until we were doing the land portion in Denali (it was an unusually hot couple of days).  We didn't take any shorts but would have worn them in Denali for sure.

We were in Alaska in July 2012 - I wore shorts most of the trip except at dinner in the MDR. Most of the passengers looked more like what you describe.

16 hours ago, MicDay said:

I think it depends on when you're going, what you plan on doing and your level of coldness?

I wore jeans with a couple of layers with a rain jacket and my hiking boots when touring the towns, ended up in my tee/jeans only.

When we where on our boat excursions it got chilly so layers with a hat and rain/wind jacket worked great.

Same for my husband.

When it was raining he mentioned he'd liked waterproof pants but wasn't really necessary.

We went August 27th 2021

We live in NC so it gets cold here but nothing like the North so our cold tolerance was medium/low.

Thanks, we're going August 26th, and we live in Northeast Texas, so our experiences are similar.

20 hours ago, Cruiser58 said:

plan on taking a base layer, my waterproof winter Columbia jacket, heavy socks, and med height cold weather boots (like that isn't going to make my suitcase weigh a ton!). 

We wore our heavy boots and jacket on the flight to save on the weight...We also put any other heavy items in our carry on since they didn't have any weight limit.  They will sometimes allow you to check your carry on all the way though on your first flight...We did!  We packed with clothing to dress in layers.   A good luggage scale is a must to make sure you have no surprises at check-in.

4 hours ago, CJS2766 said:

We are going next May as well. Good information here as to what to pack as this will be our first Alaska cruise ever! Really looking forward to it

Ours too! Really excited. Which ship, itinerary are you doing? We’re Radiance southbound with the 3 night wilderness express beforehand 

41 minutes ago, Jill said:

Ours too! Really excited. Which ship, itinerary are you doing? We’re Radiance southbound with the 3 night wilderness express beforehand 

We are going back for our second trip...First time was 2017.   We will be on the Serenade of the Seas on 26 Jun 2022 for the 13 Night Mountain Resort Experience Crisetour...Post cruise.  In our 2017 cruise we also did the land tour in Alaska but this time we will be doing the land tour of the Canadian Rockies!