Passenger Count

BrianB

48 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I'm confused. I have heard of spring break starting as early as the end of February and I thought it lasted through March. How much longer does it go? I usually cruise late April and I don't remember that many kids.

Spring break for college kids is early.   Spring break for elementary grades are often in April.  

16 hours ago, BB1 said:

I'm confused. I have heard of spring break starting as early as the end of February and I thought it lasted through March. How much longer does it go? I usually cruise late April and I don't remember that many kids.

Spring Break runs between early March through Easter

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how they are determining occupancy percentages right now. I know that ships all have the double occupancy number and the full occupancy number (which means every room is full to capacity…ie; rooms that can hold five, have five).

But now I believe most, or all of the ships in service have dedicated passenger room areas that are sealed off to maintain an amount of cabins available for quarantine.

Still…it seems the numbers of passengers are actually getting back to pre-pandemic levels. I guess it just shows how the demand for cruising has really been pent up over the past two years. Kudos to the Healthy Sail Panel and all the hard work being done onboard each ship to maintain as healthy an environment as possible, bringing back loyal cruisers…and attracting lots of new cruisers. Keep it up! Can’t wait to get back aboard and add to the capacity count!

5 hours ago, BrianB said:

I wonder how they are determining occupancy percentages right now. I know that ships all have the double occupancy number and the full occupancy number (which means every room is full to capacity…ie; rooms that can hold five, have five).

But now I believe most, or all of the ships in service have dedicated passenger room areas that are sealed off to maintain an amount of cabins available for quarantine.

Still…it seems the numbers of passengers are actually getting back to pre-pandemic levels. I guess it just shows how the demand for cruising has really been pent up over the past two years. Kudos to the Healthy Sail Panel and all the hard work being done onboard each ship to maintain as healthy an environment as possible, bringing back loyal cruisers…and attracting lots of new cruisers. Keep it up! Can’t wait to get back aboard and add to the capacity count!

Yeah the accounting of "double occupancy" versus "absolute maximum capacity" versus "sold to available capacity" is a bit cloudy.

I suspect they are using percent of available capacity that can be sold to appease investors and demonstrate they are not holding back anything excluding what they are required to not use based on government regulations (CDC in the US, other gov'ts elsewhere).

35 minutes ago, anxiouscruiser said:

My cruise to alaska out of vancouver in june is at 50% capacity as per royal when i called and specifically asked. 

I believe it.  There are some attractive rates for Alaska this year. 

I'm less than half for a balcony in 2022 compared to what I paid for an interior in 2018.  

It's a great time to cruise!

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I believe it.  There are some attractive rates for Alaska this year. 

I'm less than half for a balcony in 2022 compared to what I paid for an interior in 2018.  

It's a great time to cruise!

My first cruise was in 2013 when i was 16 with my family. Basically just hung out with various boys i met in the teen room 😂😂😂 oops. 

this will be my husband and I’s first cruise together and my first cruise since. We got an interior room and chose our own room instead of a gty that i will be happy with. 
with a 50% capacity my royal up bids are looking really hopeful. I hope that our cruise can be upgraded in some way esp to a balcony room. We shall see! But the 50% capacity means less line ups on the boat as well as embarkation so i am also excited for that. 

On 4/28/2022 at 10:53 AM, anxiouscruiser said:

My cruise to alaska out of vancouver in june is at 50% capacity as per royal when i called and specifically asked. 

Which ship are you on? Is it sailing on Jin 4th? Thanks!!

19 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Twangster reported his cruise right now has about 1800 on board (about 85%)

yes when i spoke to them again yesterday they said what the THREE reps told me was wrong and that it has the ability to be fully booked if needed. i feel really misled as i actually wouldnt have booked a cruise if it was full or above 50%.

3 hours ago, anxiouscruiser said:

yes when i spoke to them again yesterday they said what the THREE reps told me was wrong and that it has the ability to be fully booked if needed. i feel really misled as i actually wouldnt have booked a cruise if it was full or above 50%.

While it certainly is odd that RCCL reps would share current capacity numbers, it is even more odd that they would commit to capacity of cruises weeks or months out.  Even if a sailing was at 50% as of today, the coming weeks could see that changing drastically as closer to sailing bookings are made.   We've sailed three times this year and had no idea how many passengers were sailing until we got to the pier to board. 

The RCCL website makes no mention of capping capacity and the news (and this wonderful blog) is full of stories of demand for bookings and high percentage capacity sailings.  Depending on when you booked,  you might be able to cancel under Royal's Cruise With Confidence program.  On a positive note, in our experience Royal has been doing a wonderful job of providing a safe and enjoyable environment.  Good luck with your decision. 

4 hours ago, anxiouscruiser said:

Where and when did you see 50% advertised? We sailed on a cruise over Thanksgiving that was already at 80%.

Bookings are available all the way up to a few days before the cruise…when they need to provide a passenger manifest to the authorities. That’s why CWC will allow cancellations up to 48hrs prior to sailing. 
There really is no way to know how many will be on a cruise until the ship sails. Some cancel due to positive tests…and some just don’t show up. 
I ask for the ‘final passenger count’ the day after we sail...when they’re not too busy…either from Guest Services or the Concierge. They have the number on their computers.

18 hours ago, recogneyes said:

While it certainly is odd that RCCL reps would share current capacity numbers, it is even more odd that they would commit to capacity of cruises weeks or months out.  Even if a sailing was at 50% as of today, the coming weeks could see that changing drastically as closer to sailing bookings are made.   We've sailed three times this year and had no idea how many passengers were sailing until we got to the pier to board. 

The RCCL website makes no mention of capping capacity and the news (and this wonderful blog) is full of stories of demand for bookings and high percentage capacity sailings.  Depending on when you booked,  you might be able to cancel under Royal's Cruise With Confidence program.  On a positive note, in our experience Royal has been doing a wonderful job of providing a safe and enjoyable environment.  Good luck with your decision. 

We leave on sunday. 

11 minutes ago, anxiouscruiser said:

I called multiple times before i booked. I dont read news or see advertisements

Therein lies the issue. Most reps are fairly new, so the information they have, may not always be correct or updated. RCG wasn't releasing capacity before this and only started giving vague estimates during the restart. Even if a rep said 50% would be the max, I wouldn't believe that or hold them to it as things can change. I hope you have a safe and wonderful cruise regardless of capacity. 

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

Therein lies the issue. Most reps are fairly new, so the information they have, may not always be correct or updated. RCG wasn't releasing capacity before this and only started giving vague estimates during the restart. Even if a rep said 50% would be the max, I wouldn't believe that or hold them to it as things can change. I hope you have a safe and wonderful cruise regardless of capacity. 

Im sure it will be fine. 
just have to test negative today. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2022 at 8:23 AM, The Fox said:

Grandeur 5/13 sailing, 1700+, next cruise was supposed to be even more. It was so crowded there was no room in the Windjammer to eat.

On our sailing May 4th (initial trip from Galveston for Grandeur) our MDR waiter said there were 1,800 passengers on board. We didn't go the Windjammer right when it opened each day, and always found a place to sit down. Once we had to walk 3/4 of the way around, but we found a table. 

Capacity per RCL: 1,992 guests (double occupancy) • 2,440 guests (total) 

Source: https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/fact-sheet/6/grandeur-of-the-seas/

• 2 weeks later...