Passenger Count

BrianB

Oasis of the seas Thanksgiving week, a little over 3,800 passengers included in that number 1,084 kids. This was from the CD at a presentation.

He said the charter sailing before us an adult only offering included 4200 passengers. No kids no masks on that one. 

On 12/1/2021 at 10:24 AM, Heymarco said:

Liberty was over 80% last week. I think a lot of ships are shooting for 100% by the holidays.

We were on Liberty last week and it was a challenge! They could have stood to increase capacity for pools/hot tubs/elevators/etc to account for the huge increase in passenger capacity. Also, more show offerings would've been nice. She's my favorite ship, but they were definitely experiencing some "growing pains" over Thanksgiving!

2 hours ago, jensspark said:

We were on Liberty last week and it was a challenge! They could have stood to increase capacity for pools/hot tubs/elevators/etc to account for the huge increase in passenger capacity. Also, more show offerings would've been nice. She's my favorite ship, but they were definitely experiencing some "growing pains" over Thanksgiving!

I was on there too and fully agree!

On 12/3/2021 at 1:15 PM, jensspark said:

Are you saying they did not have all of the pool and hot tubs open for all of the passengers? I understand the comment about the shows but not the other. Thanks. Going on the December 19th sailing. 

38 minutes ago, Pamp said:

I thought Michael Bayley said the most Dec would be is 65%?  We are on the Allure for the Christmas cruise  - I certainly hope it is not 100%!

Yes, that is what he said. In all honesty even if they open up the inventory, really won't have enough demand. The current protocols in place until March won't work under higher capacity.

51 minutes ago, Pamp said:

I thought Michael Bayley said the most Dec would be is 65%?  We are on the Allure for the Christmas cruise  - I certainly hope it is not 100%!

Michael Bayley’s number was an average for all sailings, all month. It is certainly not a capacity cap. We say over 80% for some Thanksgiving sailings. Good luck!

20 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Yes, that is what he said. In all honesty even if they open up the inventory, really won't have enough demand. The current protocols in place until March won't work under higher capacity.

Some sailings are showing sold out for that week, whatever capacity they decided to set it as. Here is an example from Liberty for Christmas week. This is same ship that did 80% for Thanksgiving. Demand is generally really strong around holidays.

2DF0D782-AD7D-423F-8013-89964B2A7C3E.jpeg.535d764819105ca4d2e49deb1a8dd01b.jpeg

2 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Some sailings are showing sold out for that week, whatever capacity they decided to set it as. Here is an example from Liberty for Christmas week. This is same ship that did 80% for Thanksgiving. Demand is generally really strong around holidays.

2DF0D782-AD7D-423F-8013-89964B2A7C3E.jpeg.535d764819105ca4d2e49deb1a8dd01b.jpeg

Demand will always be strong for holidays. Also these aren't Oasis class sailings. Freedom and Mariner have been hitting 80% a few times because of weekend sailings. We were on Allure for Halloween, and they were trying to get people to stay on for the following sailing. I often sail in Jan and the ships aren't always completely full even before the pandemic.

On 12/6/2021 at 9:50 PM, Oliver said:

Are you saying they did not have all of the pool and hot tubs open for all of the passengers? I understand the comment about the shows but not the other. Thanks. Going on the December 19th sailing. 

Due to physical distancing protocols…ships have been limiting the amount of people allowed in the pools at one time. Same with the hot tubs. On the Anthem, the pool was roped off with just one opening so that the lifeguard could control how many people entered. As someone left, someone else could enter. They need to start re-evaluating that policy as they increase passenger load. 

The more I read about this, it seems like the many of the ships will be over 75-80% during the holidays. While the industry desperately needs to avoid an outbreak or another setback over the holidays, they also have a lot of revenue to make up and there's just so much more demand during the holidays. It seems like they'll be cautious to an extent, but they're going to push it as far as it they can.

In general, I don't see why people stress about this so much. I was on a 100% capacity Symphony cruise over Christmas in 2019 and it honestly never felt that crowded. Other than on CocoCay (where the slide lines got to upwards of 45 minutes later in the day), I don't remember waiting long for anything or anything being too crowded. My only concern would be if they continue to limit access to things (pools, etc.) or have limited staff. If that's the case, I can see why increasing capacity could be an issue. 

8 hours ago, BrianB said:

Due to physical distancing protocols…ships have been limiting the amount of people allowed in the pools at one time. Same with the hot tubs. On the Anthem, the pool was roped off with just one opening so that the lifeguard could control how many people entered. As someone left, someone else could enter. They need to start re-evaluating that policy as they increase passenger load. 

Thank you for the clarification. Did not realize that. 

I am booked on Symphony for 12/23 and either RC backed of on capacity or a lot of people booked in one day. I was checking for price drops almost every day thru November, all kinds of rooms available, then around the 1st of December when they first starting talking about Omicron, boom, interior and exterior rooms sold out and only a few Balconies and suites left. So I am hoping they backed off on Capacity. Will have a great time anyway. Just my 2 cents.

We’re on Symphony December 18. Someone in our Facebook group heard from someone on board today that they’re expecting 5,800 for our cruise next week. 😬

We’ve been on Harmony at full capacity so we know it will be ok but that was pre-COVID. I just hope Royal makes the necessary adjustments to other areas like entertainment and Adventure Ocean. 

2 hours ago, Biff215 said:

We’re on Symphony December 18. Someone in our Facebook group heard from someone on board today that they’re expecting 5,800 for our cruise next week. 😬

We’ve been on Harmony at full capacity so we know it will be ok but that was pre-COVID. I just hope Royal makes the necessary adjustments to other areas like entertainment and Adventure Ocean. 

I think this is spot-on. My assumption is most ships will be at near-capacity during the holidays. The ships are specifically designed not to feel crowded even when they're full (especially the Oasis class), so the ship simply being at capacity wouldn't worry me. But if they're still limiting capacity to certain areas, pools, etc., and staff is still limited, that could be dicey.

4 hours ago, Biff215 said:

I just hope Royal makes the necessary adjustments to other areas like entertainment and Adventure Ocean. 

They need to do something for Windjammer. We were on Symphony 2 weeks ago with ?50% capacity and it was hard to find tables for breakfast and lunch. Can't imagine them keeping every other table protocols with a fuller ship. The wait line would extend to outside or down multiple decks.

44 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

They need to do something for Windjammer. We were on Symphony 2 weeks ago with ?50% capacity and it was hard to find tables for breakfast and lunch. Can't imagine them keeping every other table protocols with a fuller ship. The wait line would extend to outside or down multiple decks.

Exactly…I was on Freedom and Mariner with 50% capacity and had issues at lunch finding a table in windjammer.  I am on Symphony 12/18 and I was the one who spoke to someone on board about 5800 planned for that cruise.    They said even at around 4000 there are issues with elevators due to restricted capacity.  And if you try to climb in with more than 6 people are getting nasty about it.  

I worry about seeing the shows most.,.this will be my first Oasis sailing.  I have cruised many holiday sailings with lots of kids so my only worry is tables in Windjammer.  So with a ship that big I am just making plans to adjust.  breakfast room service or Solarium for both.

We were on the 11/28-12/5 Oasis cruise. I heard there were about 4000 aboard but I don't believe the ship was over half full.  Never had a problem finding a table in the WJ at breakfast or lunch. We did main dining for dinner, some of us went to the Solarium for lunch and b'fast  a few times.   We (6 of us) walked into all the shows without a reservation. Never had an issued finding deck chairs either around the pools or the Solarium. 

It was very nice being on board with the ship half full. Probably the best service we've ever had on an Oasis class ship.

Of course late Nov/early Dec is a slow season anyway, during the holidays your mileage may vary.

19 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

WOW.  That is awesome.  You have the place practically to yourselves !

Last week was about this number, and we definitely felt a presence of others on board. It never felt crowded, but was never a ghost town. The places we felt had a lot of people were the Solarium, and Windjammer during breakfast and lunch. The places that felt exceptionally empty were Schooner Bar, Izumi, and Vintages. Everywhere else had people, but it was a very comfortable level. It made me wonder why I could never land iFly or North Star complementary times!

24 minutes ago, MattG said:

Last week was about this number, and we definitely felt a presence of others on board. It never felt crowded, but was never a ghost town. The places we felt had a lot of people were the Solarium, and Windjammer during breakfast and lunch. The places that felt exceptionally empty were Schooner Bar, Izumi, and Vintages. Everywhere else had people, but it was a very comfortable level. It made me wonder why I could never land iFly or North Star complementary times!

North Star is complicated by the reduced numbers per trip.  Only six allowed now.  That's 24 per hour.  The complimentary slots go quickly.  

57 minutes ago, twangster said:

North Star is complicated by the reduced numbers per trip.  Only six allowed now.  That's 24 per hour.  The complimentary slots go quickly.  

Understood, but there were also paid time slots that were coming and going with nobody taking them. I was on the pool deck most of the morning of a sea day when the Extended Experience was offered, and there was an entire hour where it didn't go up at all. I really wish they would convert these to complimentary times, but also understand that the Extended Experience is about making money. 

5 minutes ago, MattG said:

Understood, but there were also paid time slots that were coming and going with nobody taking them. I was on the pool deck most of the morning of a sea day when the Extended Experience was offered, and there was an entire hour where it didn't go up at all. I really wish they would convert these to complimentary times, but also understand that the Extended Experience is about making money. 

It will be interesting to see if they maintain the current process where complimentary are only available on port days and sea days are at a cost.  This is new for them, they've never charged like this.  In Alaska the paid trips were only when visiting a glacier for a few hours.  All other times were complimentary. 

They'll likely adapt if they think they can make more money.  Maybe they'll drop the price or give up on the paid concept entirely.