Passenger Count

BrianB

Symphony 9/4 had ~2000 passengers, crew said the weeks before that they were running at 1,300.  They also said they were about to ramp up to 3,000 in the coming weeks, but looks like someone here already point out the 9/18 sailing only had 1,800 so I guess no one really knows for sure with future cruises.

31 minutes ago, Cirasa said:

I guess no one really knows for sure with future cruises.

The crew does not even know until a couple days before the cruise. Best thing is to find a crew member or someone on the previous cruise and ask if they con find out a couple days before debarkation of the precious cruise. The number ar changing so rapidly with startup and cancelations of people testing positive or deciding not to go for other reasons.

On 9/20/2021 at 12:36 PM, fa-li said:

I'm curious if there's a target date for full capacity cruises to resume?  Do we think by spring it will be like old times?  Or are they taking it more slowly?

Doubt there's a firm date - maybe a goal/objective.   Lower occupancy for the remainder of '21.  2022 is a new year, and if the CSO lifts (even though its voluntary from FL) , lines might lean forward with allowing more passengers.  More ships are coming on-line too - that will factor into possible loading.

1 hour ago, PurdueFlyer said:

1231 sailing on Freeeom this week (4-nighter) per the Diamond concierge.  Ship capacity 4500.  

it's also the middle of the work week, in the middle of Hurricane season, but I thought it would be a leeeetle bit busier.  

We were in the same ballpark on the 9/20 sailing of Freedom for the 4 nighter. I remember hearing somewhere that we were right around 1,100 (but I had the drink package and my memory is the single point of failure in that process! 🙂)  and the crew was actually around 1,400 I think. 

Capacity is in interesting metric to watch.  I'm sure cruise lines have profitability models built defining how many passengers are required for breakeven by ship or ship class.  As they bring more of the fleet on-line, you bring added operational expense, so you want to at least meet break-even on each one you bring on-line.   Anyone have insights into what those capacity levels are for a given ship or class?  

I wonder if this is a limit set by the cruise line, or by Demand.  Has any one checked on cabin availability just prior to the cruise date?  Are the actually trying to sell more or does it show sold out?  For example, I just checked on the October 3 sailing of the Liberty out of Galveston, and it shows all types of rooms as available.  Not a conspiracy theory, but could they be hiding lack of demand as capacity limits?

I think it is a combination of both. My Oct sailing protocols list reduce capacity as a thing. But also there are a bunch of people cancelling, hence them continuing to move final payments until 30 days. Lots of cruises have some sort of capacity restriction but I believe they are selling the rooms up until maybe 48hr beforehand.

19 hours ago, MrMarc said:

I wonder if this is a limit set by the cruise line, or by Demand.  Has any one checked on cabin availability just prior to the cruise date?  Are the actually trying to sell more or does it show sold out?  For example, I just checked on the October 3 sailing of the Liberty out of Galveston, and it shows all types of rooms as available.  Not a conspiracy theory, but could they be hiding lack of demand as capacity limits?

My Freedom sailing in july was capacity locked, my Mariner sailings (last week and next week) had/have openings available.

On 9/28/2021 at 4:08 PM, nhilding10 said:

We were in the same ballpark on the 9/20 sailing of Freedom for the 4 nighter. I remember hearing somewhere that we were right around 1,100 (but I had the drink package and my memory is the single point of failure in that process! 🙂)  and the crew was actually around 1,400 I think. 

We're hearing that our upcoming Freedom sailing (10/8 - 10/11) is going to be over 3000...  makes sense for a 3-night weekend jaunt.

On 9/20/2021 at 1:36 PM, fa-li said:

I'm curious if there's a target date for full capacity cruises to resume?  Do we think by spring it will be like old times?  Or are they taking it more slowly?

I am sure there is a lot of accounting behind some of the capacities. I do think they are going to increase capacities slowly because RCI would not want a high number of cases on board as it would discourage future cruisers. I also do think that there is lower demands and some travelers I know are still waiting for there to be consistent protocols before they book a cruise. Unfortunately with the times we live in its hard for RCI not change or adapt their protocols with what is going on. I have not been on any reduced capacity cruises yet, but I have heard its been great. 

On 9/20/2021 at 12:13 AM, Ampurp85 said:

That's less than Sept 12 selling, I read it 2400. Well about 2300 because of people turned away for lack of covid test.

After all this time and email reminders... 

So many people still travel to the port all packed and without covid test? 🤣

10 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@Vlad Yes, lots of people think just because they are vaxxed they don't need a test. I don't understand people who show up places without even the most basic bit of research. 

From my experience, best is CVS. They have this Minute Clinic. You schedule 2 weeks in advance, any time. Received results in record time. Goes into my chart app. 

On 10/1/2021 at 1:09 AM, Ampurp85 said:

@travelerpete Nope, they release the capacity on the ship only. There isn't a way to be approximate anyways as people can be turned away at port. There may be cancellations all the way up to sailing, which is why they don't give a guest count until way after sail away. They didn't even do this before Covid.

Thanks - This is my first RC - I've always gone on NCL - I've been looking forward to Oasis for years but stayed away because it was so big - can't wait to see what it's like 🙂 Excited only a few days away!!!

On 10/1/2021 at 1:09 AM, Ampurp85 said:

@travelerpete Nope, they release the capacity on the ship only. There isn't a way to be approximate anyways as people can be turned away at port. There may be cancellations all the way up to sailing, which is why they don't give a guest count until way after sail away. They didn't even do this before Covid.

Thanks - This is my first RC - I've always gone on NCL - I've been looking forward to Oasis for years but stayed away because it was so big - can't wait to see what it's like 🙂 Excited only a few days away!!!

On 9/28/2021 at 2:28 PM, PurdueFlyer said:

1231 sailing on Freeeom this week (4-nighter) per the Diamond concierge.  Ship capacity 4500.  

it's also the middle of the work week, in the middle of Hurricane season, but I thought it would be a leeeetle bit busier.  

4 nighter on Freedom, Sept 27th, 1130 onboard

• 2 weeks later...