CVS Covid Test Results

CFL

I'm really hesitant to go to CVS for our pre-cruise Covid tests.  We received our vaccines there but despite many hours on the phone with their customer support, our vaccines never showed up in the app. My concern is taking the test at CVS but not being able to access the results. For those of you who got the vaccines at CVS, do the results show in the same place in the app as the vaccines?  We'll probably either do the home tests/Walgreens just for peace of mind. 

I had the test done yesterday at CVS in central NJ. 9:20am it was completed, and they called me about twenty minutes later to tell me it was negative. At noon I received an email from CVS advising me to log into the MyChart app for my result. The complete report was there and I printed a copy (actually multiple copies that I will stick into every pocket, nook and cranny to make sure I have that ‘Golden Ticket’ with me at check-in!). No problems, no issues.

19 minutes ago, Matt said:

I've gone to CVS at least 3 times for pre-cruise covid tests. Couldn't be easier. 

The results get texted, emailed, and stored online at the minuteclinic website. This saved me when I forgot my print out at home and instead showed a digital copy.

I've had the same experience.  Worked out great. 

22 minutes ago, Matt said:

I've gone to CVS at least 3 times for pre-cruise covid tests. Couldn't be easier. 

The results get texted, emailed, and stored online at the minuteclinic website. This saved me when I forgot my print out at home and instead showed a digital copy.

YOU forgot!?! YOU!?!? Sheeesh….now I gotta obsess over everything hoping I don’t forget something tomorrow…especially something as important as the ‘Golden Ticket’!😂

2 hours ago, CFL said:

I'm really hesitant to go to CVS for our pre-cruise Covid tests.  We received our vaccines there but despite many hours on the phone with their customer support, our vaccines never showed up in the app. My concern is taking the test at CVS but not being able to access the results. For those of you who got the vaccines at CVS, do the results show in the same place in the app as the vaccines?  We'll probably either do the home tests/Walgreens just for peace of mind. 

I am also a bit leery of CVS.  I needed an antibody test so I scheduled one online with a CVS nearby.  When I got there for the test, they said they don't even do the antibody tests at that location.  I called around and got conflicting information and finally ended up just going to a LabCorp office to get it done.  I will not be putting any faith in CVS - particularly for something that is time-sensitive.

I went to CVS a couple weeks ago for a rapid test due to some symptoms I had. Test was easy and got results within an hour. Negative, just a cold… But now since then I’ve been checking their site for openings for upcoming dates and there are no times available at all for 2 weeks out. Makes me think they ran out of rapid tests. I keep checking. My cruise is 3 weeks away. So considering this we ordered some at home tests through RC. Fingers crossed we have no issues with the at home testing. I’m nervous about it! 

The CVS in my area don't open up the rapid appointments far in advance, only a few days. My plan is always schedule PCR far in advance and then grab the rapid appointments when they open up closer to the testing date. I am also going to order the at-home tests as another contingency plan.

We are fortunate to have a community testing site around the corner so I have a lot of options for close-in rapid appointments but I still have to sweat it out until I can land the appointment and then hope it's not canceled on me..then the wait for results too!

1 hour ago, griffinjam22 said:

I went to CVS a couple weeks ago for a rapid test due to some symptoms I had. Test was easy and got results within an hour. Negative, just a cold… But now since then I’ve been checking their site for openings for upcoming dates and there are no times available at all for 2 weeks out. Makes me think they ran out of rapid tests. I keep checking. My cruise is 3 weeks away. So considering this we ordered some at home tests through RC. Fingers crossed we have no issues with the at home testing. I’m nervous about it! 

Some CVS don’t do travel tests snd they just show as “unavailable for appointments “.  Look for other CVS in your area. The closest CVS for travel testing to me is 45 minutes in 2 different directions. (If I were sick I could go -0 minutes down the road)

my options are CT or NY I hesitate to go to CT as a NY resident because I remember we couldn’t do that when testing initially became available so I’ll be driving to the NY location that’s 45 minutes from  me. 

33 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

Some CVS don’t do travel tests snd they just show as “unavailable for appointments “.  Look for other CVS in your area. The closest CVS for travel testing to me is 45 minutes in 2 different directions. (If I were sick I could go -0 minutes down the road)

my options are CT or NY I hesitate to go to CT as a NY resident because I remember we couldn’t do that when testing initially became available so I’ll be driving to the NY location that’s 45 minutes from  me. 

I even tried going through putting in stating i have symptoms and it showed no availability for any days from tomorrow to 2 weeks from now. I may call the store to see what’s up. 

We used CVS for the rapid antigen test in the afternoon

We used Walgreens for the PCR test that same morning

It took 45 minutes from the time we took the test at CVS to get our results.  The technician called us and five minutes later we got the email, both negative.

Walgreens emailed my husband the day of our cruise, so three days later.  I did not get my Walgreens results until 6 days later.

If anyone wants details on how each place operates or anything let me know,  we live in NC.

Walgreens only allowed us to schedule 2 days from the time we needed.  CVS allowed me to schedule it a month out.

17 hours ago, MicDay said:

We used CVS for the rapid antigen test in the afternoon

We used Walgreens for the PCR test that same morning

It took 45 minutes from the time we took the test at CVS to get our results.  The technician called us and five minutes later we got the email, both negative.

Walgreens emailed my husband the day of our cruise, so three days later.  I did not get my Walgreens results until 6 days later.

If anyone wants details on how each place operates or anything let me know,  we live in NC.

Walgreens only allowed us to schedule 2 days from the time we needed.  CVS allowed me to schedule it a month out.

MicDay, we live in Raleigh - our CVS is only showing 2 weeks out. Am I following the wrong path?

23 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I am also a bit leery of CVS.  I needed an antibody test so I scheduled one online with a CVS nearby.  When I got there for the test, they said they don't even do the antibody tests at that location.  I called around and got conflicting information and finally ended up just going to a LabCorp office to get it done.  I will not be putting any faith in CVS - particularly for something that is time-sensitive.

I have noticed that there is a great deal of variation in the competency and organization with different CVS branches. I suppose that could be really be said of any of the chain stores/restaurants. But because I once lived an equal distance between 2 cvs’s and used both and then recently moved residences, the disparity across the cvs locations is particularly evident to me. It is tough to trust anyone or any place with this particular task, a heavy duty “shot” of anxiety ahead of each sailing for sure 😟

@CrusingfromClayton that has been my experience with them for all tests/vaccines - there is a 2 week window.

I'm scheduled for rapid antigen at CVS 2 days before boarding and getting a little nervous after reading this.  If CVS doesn't come through and we are not able get tested and results back in time from elsewhere, what happens then?  Will RCL provide testing at the terminal?

2 hours ago, Dicey said:

I'm scheduled for rapid antigen at CVS 2 days before boarding and getting a little nervous after reading this.  If CVS doesn't come through and we are not able get tested and results back in time from elsewhere, what happens then?  Will RCL provide testing at the terminal?

Royal at this time doesn't offer testing at the terminal (with the exception of 11 and under group). However, a third party testing provider might have setup shop near by.

This was the case at Port Canaveral for the September 5th sailing on Allure.20210905_110807_copy_1024x768.thumb.jpg.402d15db17af1703f1ebb58dcede2e8c.jpg

However, I wouldn't trust a mobile testing unit available at the terminal and test beforehand. Treat a mobile unit as a possible option of last resort. Plus I have no idea what the cost would have been for the service.

Website for this company: https://covidtestingllc.com/

2 hours ago, CrusingfromClayton said:

MicDay, we live in Raleigh - our CVS is only showing 2 weeks out. Am I following the wrong path?

@CrusingfromClaytonI just did a mock run and it does now just show 2 weeks out?  We just cruised 2 weeks ago, I'm sorry this has changed but it's still better than Walgreens.

@DiceyI think CVS did an excellent job and reported our results in 45 minutes and RC had no issues with the printed report CVS sent us via email.

I understand everyone's stress, it was very stressful getting this part done but it was wonderful to be able to cruise again so it was worth it for us.  I think I made it more stressful worrying about it.  Heck, I even cooked instead of going out so less contact with people two weeks before our cruise.

My son gets tested twice a week for his work. However, he takes a Quest Diagnostic home test and mails it in, usually gets his results in 2 days. I'm starting to wonder if this would even be accepted. There is way for anyone to know if he was the actual tester, sort of like the non-proctored at home tests. We're definitely booking our CVS tests as soon as they show up two weeks out and I'll have him get one as well. I'm also leaning towards getting some of the at home tests, I've been concerned about the expiration dates, we have an October cruise then Jan 9th, which seems to fall beyond the exasperation dates.

20 hours ago, KevinJ said:

I've been concerned about the expiration dates, we have an October cruise then Jan 9th, which seems to fall beyond the exasperation dates.

The ones we just purchased through the Royal site have an effective expiration date in March or April 2022 (you add 3 mo to what is marked on the box as the expiration date). 

We moved to the proctored test over the CVS due to the lack of availability at our local CVS's. The other two in our party leaving Friday live further north from us and in their area the tests are available but we did not want to drive 45 minutes each way. Have watched Matt's video as well as many others and feel this is the way for us as we have multiple cruises coming up in the next months. The CVS schedule around us disappears within minutes of posting and the local "drive thru" pay as you go sites are packed and charge a small fortune. Plus they did not want to talk to us when they found out it was for vacation travel.

13 hours ago, BrianAlt said:

@Mattyou teased a pre-cruise testing video during today’s video. Is that out already or is it coming up in the future?

Thanks 

Unless I misspoke, I thought I was referring to this article: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/09/04/should-be-your-approach-getting-covid-test-your-cruise

• 1 month later...

I’m curious to hear from someone who did a CVS rapid test 2 days prior for a minor. Website does not allow a minor to have a MinuteClinic MyChart account to access results. Says results are sent via phone and text and available for 2 days. Will RC accept the results via text as opposed to Mychart???

7 minutes ago, DeeDee said:

I’m curious to hear from someone who did a CVS rapid test 2 days prior for a minor. Website does not allow a minor to have a MinuteClinic MyChart account to access results. Says results are sent via phone and text and available for 2 days. Will RC accept the results via text as opposed to Mychart???

Yes. You can show digital or print out.

I've taken my kids to get tests at CVS. When you register for a test appointment, there's an option to say you're registering your kids. It's all good.

Another question. CVS offers rapid test and molecular lab (pcr/naat). Is there any reason not to just get the rapid test? Our cruise departs Sunday, so our plan was to take the rapid test Friday morning and then immediately start the 2 day drive to Miami. Figure if the results come back positive Friday morning, we have time to re-test in case it’s a false positive, and/or cancel our drive and figure out plan b. As far as I understand, the cvs rapid test is an antigen test that is approved by RC. Thanks in advance! 

14 minutes ago, DeeDee said:

Another question. CVS offers rapid test and molecular lab (pcr/naat). Is there any reason not to just get the rapid test? Our cruise departs Sunday, so our plan was to take the rapid test Friday morning and then immediately start the 2 day drive to Miami. Figure if the results come back positive Friday morning, we have time to re-test in case it’s a false positive, and/or cancel our drive and figure out plan b. As far as I understand, the cvs rapid test is an antigen test that is approved by RC. Thanks in advance! 

No reason not to. Get the rapid so you have the results as soon as you can.

I’m full of questions today. lol. So how does it work with the kids getting tested on site day of cruise - do we have to wait 1-2 hrs for the results before we can board? I think our arrival time is around 1:30. Usually we eat lunch once we are on the ship but maybe we should eat beforehand if we will be waiting 2 more hours for results? Grateful for this forum, as I’ve already spent probably 50 hours on hold with RC since Spring 2020 when our original booking was canceled. Lol.

I just did it today for the fist time. It couldn't have gone smoother - other than the several stores around me not offering the rapid test and having to drive to another location. But not that big of a deal. My appointment was at 10:30 and I had my results before noon. They were good about texting reminders and links to the results and stuff as well as email. I booked mine the first day they were available, on 10/24

1 hour ago, DeeDee said:

So how does it work with the kids getting tested on site day of cruise - do we have to wait 1-2 hrs for the results before we can board?

Here's what it's like to cruise with unvaccinated kids https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/10/12/what-its-go-cruise-unvaccinated-kids-right-now