Royal Caribbean Optum Store VS eMed

PG Cruiser

I have questions about these two options:

1.    Is the eMed test still accepted by Royal now that they have offered test kits from Optum?

2.    How was your experience with Optum and/or eMed?  (Ordering, shipping, delays, virtual visit, failed tests, etc)

3.    What expiration dates are you seeing in your test kits?

1 hour ago, PG Cruiser said:

I have questions about these two options:

1.    Is the eMed test still accepted by Royal now that they have offered test kits from Optum?

2.    How was your experience with Optum and/or eMed?  (Ordering, shipping, delays, virtual visit, failed tests, etc)

3.    What expiration dates are you seeing in your test kits?

1.  They are the same test.  Both use the Navica App and emed

2.  Emed shipped way faster - I had them the next day.  Optum took several days and this was before carnival and Royal recommended them

3.  Expiration dates were within days of each other.  Test kits were ordered about a week apart (increased # in sailing party)

3 minutes ago, Jkaczano said:

1.  They are the same test.  Both use the Navica App and emed

Does Royal still accept both or do they only accept the one purchased from them?

4 minutes ago, Jkaczano said:

3.  Expiration dates were within days of each other.  Test kits were ordered about a week apart (increased # in sailing party)

What are those expiration dates?

I have cruises booked all the way to January 2022.  I want to purchase the kits online as back up, but I still intend to get my tests locally.

(Oh wait... now it's all the way to March 2022... I forgot about my booking on the Wonder)

22 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

Does Royal still accept both or do they only accept the one purchased from them?

What are those expiration dates?

I have cruises booked all the way to January 2022.  I want to purchase the kits online as back up, but I still intend to get my tests locally.

(Oh wait... now it's all the way to March 2022... I forgot about my booking on the Wonder)

They are the same test.  It doesn’t matter whether you buy from emed, Optum, or Optum through the RC link, what you receive is the same.  Approval is based on the test type (this one is approved) and that it is proctored (both proctored by same company).

expiration dates were both early to mid January.  Roughly January 6th and 11th.  I could be off a day or 2.  They’re good for my trip a week from now.  They aren’t good for my February cruise.

Same tests…same online proctored procedure. I ordered my six pack from eMed, the process was easy and the tests came within days. The expiration dates are all 10/5/2021 with a production date of 2/3/2021. According to eMed, the FDA has now approved the kits for one year from production…so the new expy date would be 2/3/2022…at least some lot numbers. I still can’t find definitive information on this being a blanket approval or just individual test lots.
I leave on the Oasis tomorrow so I had scheduled a test at CVS two weeks ago, as soon as appointments opened for yesterday. Had it done…CVS called within the hour to tell me it was negative, then sent the email about an hour after that.

I also did the eMed test. I started at 11:00am. Thanks to all the info shared by others, I pretty much knew what to expect. I used an iPad (held inside a napkin holder so I could tilt it forward🧐) and was ready with my ID. My call connected immediately and the person was very clear and friendly. The test was done without an issue. It seemed the proctor was able to control my camera and reversed it so that the scan would work and my ID could be read. Fifteen minutes later I was connected to another person who concluded I tested negative. I received the email from eMed and it was on my Navica app within minutes. Ready to go! Can’t wait….

11 minutes ago, Jkaczano said:

They are the same test.  It doesn’t matter whether you buy from emed, Optum, or Optum through the RC link, what you receive is the same.  Approval is based on the test type (this one is approved) and that it is proctored (both proctored by same company).

expiration dates were both early to mid January.  Roughly January 6th and 11th.  I could be off a day or 2.  They’re good for my trip a week from now.  They aren’t good for my February cruise.

It's good to know they're the same tests.  It's cheaper to get them from eMed.  My main issue now is the expiration date.  I've read about extensions to the date but I haven't found definitive information about it.  The Royal website says the current batch of tests expire at the end of this year.

55 minutes ago, BrianB said:

Same tests…same online proctored procedure. I ordered my six pack from eMed, the process was easy and the tests came within days. The expiration dates are all 10/5/2021 with a production date of 2/3/2021. According to eMed, the FDA has now approved the kits for one year from production…so the new expy date would be 2/3/2022. 
I leave on the Oasis tomorrow so I had scheduled a test at CVS two weeks ago, as soon as appointments opened for yesterday. Had it done…CVS called within the hour to tell me it was negative, then sent the email about an hour after that.

I also did the eMed test. I started at 11:00am. Thanks to all the info shared by others, I pretty much knew what to expect. I used an iPad (held inside a napkin holder so I could tilt it forward🧐) and was ready with my ID. My call connected immediately and the person was very clear and friendly. The test was done without an issue. It seemed the proctor was able to control my camera and reversed it so that the scan would work and my ID could be read. Fifteen minutes later I was connected to another person who concluded I tested negative. I received the email from eMed and it was on my Navica app within minutes. Ready to go! Can’t wait….

Thank-you ...very clear.  I think that we will do the same thing.  We will be traveling to Florida 4 days before the cruise.  We will likely use the eMed test before leaving home.  If all systems are go we will get tested again in Florida at CVS --- what was the cost at CVS?  We will get the 6 pack from eMed and use then as needed during the month we spend in Florida. 

We are doing a B2B followed by 6 days on the ground in Florida and then another B2B.  I think we are crazy but what could possibly go wrong????

10 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

Thank-you ...very clear.  I think that I will do the same thing.  We will be traveling to Florida 4 days before the cruise.  We will likely use the eMed test before leaving home.  If are systems are go we will get tested at CVS --- what was the cost at CVS?  We will get the 6 pack from eMed and use then as needed during the month we spend in Florida. 

We are doing a B2B followed by 6 days on the ground in Florida and then another B2B.  I think we are crazy but what could possibly go wrong????

No cost at CVS. They have my insurance info and I think they bill them…if no insurance, then the cost is picked up by the state.

I’m also doing a B2B…then home for two weeks…then another B2B…then home for a week…then another B2B. We are NOT crazy! We are Cruisaholics and proud of it! Have a great time!

31 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

Thank-you ...very clear.  I think that we will do the same thing.  We will be traveling to Florida 4 days before the cruise.  We will likely use the eMed test before leaving home.  If all systems are go we will get tested again in Florida at CVS --- what was the cost at CVS?  We will get the 6 pack from eMed and use then as needed during the month we spend in Florida. 

I do not know if the situation is statewide but here in Jacksonville, CVS is only offering PCR due to shortage of rapid test kits.  That was two weeks ago when I was looking for local test locations for my Allure sailing.  Interestingly, Walgreens is able to offer rapid tests.