changing cabin type (yet another first timer question)

skittermagoo

First off, apologies for all the first-timer questions . . . there's just so much to consider!

We have our first cruise booked (1/21/22 on Adventure of the Seas), and unfortunately I didn't know until it was too late that I could have transferred our reservation to a travel agent.  So, I'm doing this all myself. 

Right now we have a GTY ocean view stateroom booked, but we may have decided we really want a balcony stateroom, depending on the difference in price.  I was planning to bid on RoyalUp, but wanted to know if I can just upgrade it instead. If so, can I just call RCCL and have them change it and charge me the price difference? Will all my other things (beverage package, excursions, etc) stay the same if I do this, or is it something where I'll have to rebook completely? 

My experience with calling RCCL has been, well, spotty at best. Is there a best number/option to call? (I seem to remember someone posting either here or on FB that choosing the "cruise planner" option sometimes results in better results). 

@skittermagoo, yes you can just upgrade yourself.

We just upgraded from an OV balcony to Jr Ste yesterday. I paid the difference over the phone, and all my purchases transferred with it, no problems.

It took about 10 minutes on the phone. I had a cabin picked that I wanted, by doing a mock booking, and it was a very simple process. You don’t have to do that, they can make some suggestions. If you want to let them suggest, I would have the deck plans pulled up on your device to see if the cabin is one you desire.

@skittermagoo, yes we change and modify reservations directly with RCCL many times. Call them early in the morning for shorter waits and they can take care of it for you. Agree with @barbeyg, have the deck plans up on your device to see where the room is located. My wife calls in to RCCL and I have my laptop up with the plans and she reads off the cabin numbers the agent gives. You do not have to go with their first pick. If you have an idea where you want to try to be let them know and they will tell you what they have. We have gotten some great cabins that way.