Ft. Lauderdale Port

janderson

Going on Wonder of the Seas on March 11, 2022.  I have never been to the port at Ft. Lauderdale.  I looked last night and flights look much more expensive than Miami (guessing because it is a smaller airport).  Does anyone have tips as far as what airline you typically get the best rates on, if the Royal Caribbean air to sea program might be a better rate, and what hotels would be best for the night before the cruise.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

Google flights is a good way to compare prices. Check out the different prices for different time of day arrivals. In my opinion, FLL is perfect for the port because it’s so close. You can also figure if a cheaper flight into Miami, combined with the transportation cost to the port, would be better than paying more for the flight into FLL. Good luck!

1 hour ago, janderson said:

Going on Wonder of the Seas on March 11, 2022.  I have never been to the port at Ft. Lauderdale.  I looked last night and flights look much more expensive than Miami (guessing because it is a smaller airport).  Does anyone have tips as far as what airline you typically get the best rates on, if the Royal Caribbean air to sea program might be a better rate, and what hotels would be best for the night before the cruise.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

What type of hotel are you looking for? I can help. 

5 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

What type of hotel are you looking for? I can help. 

Just something that is clean and good for a night.  I want something fairly cheap like $200 or less a night if possible.  Something in proximity to some food establishments would be great too but if we have to Uber Eats or something we can.

Justin

Found decent rates on JetBlue last night direct from Boston for 3/18.  Prices were same to FLL as MIA

5 minutes ago, janderson said:

I will look into that.  The cheapest we were finding from Iowa (Omaha or Des Moines) was $484/person and that was taking 2 different airlines going and coming.

We’re at about $330 pp direct flights for a fare that includes a carry on and seat selection.  Southwest extended their fares this morning to late April, so I would check them too

@janderson I've been to Ft. Lauderdale (from Houston) twice now and usually the flights from here to Ft. L and Miami are about the same.  I also use Google Flights to track prices.  Usually booking flights 3+ months out will give you the best pricing options, but usually we fly there anywhere from $125-$250 RT, on United.   As for a hotel, we stayed at (Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Downtown/Las Olas), its a new hotel and a walk (2 blocks) from Las Olas Blvd where the restaurants are, and it's a quick Uber to the port.  There are also some nice hotels on the beachfront that are fairly inexpensive we've stayed at as well.

** I think your issue with pricing is simply that you are going spring break week to one of the biggest spring break locations in the US.  Your Hotel/Flight prices are going to be higher than any other time of the year. 

11 minutes ago, janderson said:

I will look into that.  The cheapest we were finding from Iowa (Omaha or Des Moines) was $484/person and that was taking 2 different airlines going and coming.

Definitely look into Miami flights.  It's a 30-45 minute drive between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale so just factor in an Uber/Lyft ride between the two and see if you end up cheaper overall.  Still spend the night in Ft. Lauderdale as it tends to be cheaper than Miami with respect to airports.  You also have to consider that your sail date lines up with Spring Break in Florida (early March timeframe down here) so the $$ season starts earlier.

A couple weeks ago, I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Cruise Port.  Its right between the airport and the port.  I paid about $150 for the night.  They have a free airport shuttle, and at the desk they had a card with the name of a local transport company that picked me up from the hotel and took me to the cruise port for $10 in a nice van.  Lyft and Uber were surge pricing at the time for about $45 or so for the 5 minute drive.  

8 minutes ago, Jkaczano said:

We’re at about $330 pp direct flights for a fare that includes a carry on and seat selection.  Southwest extended their fares this morning to late April, so I would check them too

I did Google Flights and the cheapest I am finding is $472/person round trip but if i change the return flight to something late enough for me to get off the ship (instead of 7AM) it changes to around $600-$700/person.  I am going to go out on a limb and say that they don't like to fly out of Iowa. 🤣😂

14 minutes ago, dejavu21 said:

@janderson I've been to Ft. Lauderdale (from Houston) twice now and usually the flights from here to Ft. L and Miami are about the same.  I also use Google Flights to track prices.  Usually booking flights 3+ months out will give you the best pricing options, but usually we fly there anywhere from $125-$250 RT, on United.   As for a hotel, we stayed at (Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Downtown/Las Olas), its a new hotel and a walk (2 blocks) from Las Olas Blvd where the restaurants are, and it's a quick Uber to the port.  There are also some nice hotels on the beachfront that are fairly inexpensive we've stayed at as well.

I will definitely look into this.  Sounds like a pretty good area for convenience.

13 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Definitely look into Miami flights.  It's a 30-45 minute drive between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale so just factor in an Uber/Lyft ride between the two and see if you end up cheaper overall.  Still spend the night in Ft. Lauderdale as it tends to be cheaper than Miami with respect to airports.  You also have to consider that your sail date lines up with Spring Break in Florida (early March timeframe down here) so the $$ season starts earlier.

I was just getting ready to see what Miami had.  If not I might see what the Royal Sea to Air costs because it might be cheaper at this rate.

12 minutes ago, Plumlee2028 said:

A couple weeks ago, I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Cruise Port.  Its right between the airport and the port.  I paid about $150 for the night.  They have a free airport shuttle, and at the desk they had a card with the name of a local transport company that picked me up from the hotel and took me to the cruise port for $10 in a nice van.  Lyft and Uber were surge pricing at the time for about $45 or so for the 5 minute drive.  

I will look at that.  That is a pretty cheap ride from the hotel to the port.

6 hours ago, janderson said:

Just something that is clean and good for a night.  I want something fairly cheap like $200 or less a night if possible.  Something in proximity to some food establishments would be great too but if we have to Uber Eats or something we can.

Embassy Suites on 17th street. I am local and can point you in the right direction regarding dining as well. 

5 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Let me know what kind of food you like and I will send you recommendations. 

I like pretty much any food.  My wife however does not like fish too much.  So I would say anything in that area that isn't sea food that you would recommend would be fine.  Even if you have like a top 5 must eat places or something.

10 hours ago, janderson said:

Justin

That week is spring break week for most Southern public schools and colleges.  Flights will be more than usual.

I like pretty much any food.  My wife however does not like fish too much.  So I would say anything in that area that isn't sea food that you would recommend would be fine.  Even if you have like a top 5 must eat places or something.

If your hotel is on 17th Street in East Fort Lauderdale then your in close proximity to many dining options both a short walk/ Uber ride. Las Olas Blvd has a little of everything. Here’s a good mix:

1. Louie Bossi Las Olas. Great scene and good quality Italian food. 

2. Bombay Darbar Las Olas: if you enjoy Indian food I recommend this place. The scene at night is energetic. 

3. Boathouse at Riverside Hotel: Adjacent to the New River you can watch the boats. Laid back for lunch and busier during happy hour. Great chef. Menu = all over the place. American fused with a mix of everything. I had some blackened shrimp tacos that were great. 

4. Le Tub Saloon- Hollywood: 15 minute Uber from 17th street. Made famous by GQ many years ago for America’s best burger. On the intracoastal and quite a scene. The place is made out of reclaimed driftwood. Burgers take some time to cook but the wait is worth it and the beer is cold. Laid back & very casual. I take my boat there at least once per month. 

5. La Bamba 17th Street: Located in the Publix plaza on 17th street & Cordova rd adjacent to Embassy Suites. Great Mexican & Spanish food. Very casual. My kids request the pollo a la plancha every weekend. 

6. Sistrunk Marketplace: Food Hall. Mix of everything. Great scene and highly recommended. 10 min Uber from 17th street.

I can go to # 100 if necessary. If your into beer breweries there’s many popping up in downtown. I recommend Koffner Brewery inside Sistrunk Marketplace. American Icon Brewery, LauderAle and Invasive Species Brewery. For a laid back locals scene we all go to Laser Wolf which has a great craft beer menu and an AWESOME taco food truck. 

Everything in East Fort Lauderdale is pretty much accessible by a 15 min or less Uber and you can even take a water taxi to most waterfront locations. 

47 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

If your hotel is on 17th Street in East Fort Lauderdale then your in close proximity to many dining options both a short walk/ Uber ride. Las Olas Blvd has a little of everything. Here’s a good mix:

1. Louie Bossi Las Olas. Great scene and good quality Italian food. 

2. Bombay Darbar Las Olas: if you enjoy Indian food I recommend this place. The scene at night is energetic. 

3. Boathouse at Riverside Hotel: Adjacent to the New River you can watch the boats. Laid back for lunch and busier during happy hour. Great chef. Menu = all over the place. American fused with a mix of everything. I had some blackened shrimp tacos that were great. 

4. Le Tub Saloon- Hollywood: 15 minute Uber from 17th street. Made famous by GQ many years ago for America’s best burger. On the intracoastal and quite a scene. The place is made out of reclaimed driftwood. Burgers take some time to cook but the wait is worth it and the beer is cold. Laid back & very casual. I take my boat there at least once per month. 

5. La Bamba 17th Street: Located in the Publix plaza on 17th street & Cordova rd adjacent to Embassy Suites. Great Mexican & Spanish food. Very casual. My kids request the pollo a la plancha every weekend. 

6. Sistrunk Marketplace: Food Hall. Mix of everything. Great scene and highly recommended. 10 min Uber from 17th street.

I can go to # 100 if necessary. If your into beer breweries there’s many popping up in downtown. I recommend Koffner Brewery inside Sistrunk Marketplace. American Icon Brewery, LauderAle and Invasive Species Brewery. For a laid back locals scene we all go to Laser Wolf which has a great craft beer menu and an AWESOME taco food truck. 

Everything in East Fort Lauderdale is pretty much accessible by a 15 min or less Uber and you can even take a water taxi to most waterfront locations. 

Fantastic thank you for the help.  I will look these up and see what I can line up to eat the day before and on the way back to the airport.

17 hours ago, janderson said:

I did Google Flights and the cheapest I am finding is $472/person round trip but if i change the return flight to something late enough for me to get off the ship (instead of 7AM) it changes to around $600-$700/person.  I am going to go out on a limb and say that they don't like to fly out of Iowa. 🤣😂

I live in Montana, it is always a hassle to get flights.  High prices and multiple connections.   But, ya do what you gotta do for cruising!  

4 hours ago, Linda R said:

I live in Montana, it is always a hassle to get flights.  High prices and multiple connections.   But, ya do what you gotta do for cruising!  

I love where I live but I guess we all have our pluses and minuses.  I did save $400 on flights by switching my cruise to the week prior though so I won't complain.

9 hours ago, janderson said:

I love where I live but I guess we all have our pluses and minuses.  I did save $400 on flights by switching my cruise to the week prior though so I won't complain.

Glad it worked out.  I sometimes stay 2 days before or after a cruise to save on air fares.  If it saves me more on a flight than the extra hotel nights.  I mostly fly Delta because of air miles, sky club access, etc.  

44 minutes ago, Linda R said:

Glad it worked out.  I sometimes stay 2 days before or after a cruise to save on air fares.  If it saves me more on a flight than the extra hotel nights.  I mostly fly Delta because of air miles, sky club access, etc.  

we were going to fly Delta because that is the cheapest flights that came up on Google flights. However at the last second Southwest became cheaper. 

• 2 weeks later...