• Freedom of the Seas®
  • Independence of the Seas®
  • Liberty of the Seas®
  • Adventure of the Seas®
  • Explorer of the Seas®
  • Mariner of the Seas®
  • Navigator of the Seas®

search FAQ on the  RCI page for all PADI information

As someone who is a diver, I would recommend looking at your local community center/YMCA or Padi shop to see if you can take classes and get your dive card. You get much more out of becoming a PADI certified diver than just the lesson you get on the ship before going out into the ocean.  I know it's not like they are taking you on a super deep dive where you need to worry about decompressing on your way back up, but there are safety things that you really should learn.  Can you do it on the ship and dive?? yes, of course.  Will you feel more comfortable and confident if you are better trained? you bet.  

• 3 months later...
On 9/13/2021 at 11:42 AM, Donna G said:

As someone who is a diver, I would recommend looking at your local community center/YMCA or Padi shop to see if you can take classes and get your dive card. You get much more out of becoming a PADI certified diver than just the lesson you get on the ship before going out into the ocean.  I know it's not like they are taking you on a super deep dive where you need to worry about decompressing on your way back up, but there are safety things that you really should learn.  Can you do it on the ship and dive?? yes, of course.  Will you feel more comfortable and confident if you are better trained? you bet.  

I have my C card and hope to get my granddaughter certified before our March cruise (Allure). We're in Virginia so the OW dives are NOT going to happen before then (LOL). My wife got certified on a RCCL cruise years ago and except for the early morning pool dives, she loved it. Did her OW dives in Cozumel no less !!! I'm hoping (and I've emailed them) RCCL will have some sort of referral program where all the classwork and pool dives can be done locally ahead of the cruise and then do the OW dives while on the cruise.

6 hours ago, Tuckster said:

I have my C card and hope to get my granddaughter certified before our March cruise (Allure). We're in Virginia so the OW dives are NOT going to happen before then (LOL). My wife got certified on a RCCL cruise years ago and except for the early morning pool dives, she loved it. Did her OW dives in Cozumel no less !!! I'm hoping (and I've emailed them) RCCL will have some sort of referral program where all the classwork and pool dives can be done locally ahead of the cruise and then do the OW dives while on the cruise.

The contact for scuba type inquiries is royaldiver@rccl.com if you have not already used this point of contact. 

I did my open water certification on Adventure. 

I enjoyed the course and felt very comfortable with the instruction I received. 

There were three people in my class.  With such a small number, there was plenty of time for one on one interaction.

We did our open water parts in San Juan and St Thomas.  

i bought mask/snorkel/fins at a local dive shop before the cruise.  I asked the owner her thoughts about doing the course through Royal.  She told me that the instructors are all PADI instructors and would take it seriously.  She also told me that I could take the course through her, but I would enjoy learning to dive in the Caribbean rather than the cold Atlantic off the coast of Maine. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2021 at 3:42 AM, Donna G said:

I couldn't agree more. Get your cert through your local dive store. The pacing will be a lot better, facilities should be better (and if they aren't, find another dive store) and when you get to the cruise you'll be able to enjoy some amazing dive locaitons without having to worry about going through your training.