Cruising Solo

Donnax4

Just curious, if anyone has cruised solo before. How was it? Did you find it weird or uncomfortable in any way. Did you meet or find others doing the solo thing too? Any tips for me? This is my first time and although I am excited to try this new adventure, I will admit I am nervous at the whole process. DId you find it boring? I love doing things on my own a lot, so not too concerned about that. Hope to hear about others experience!

Edited by Donnax4

I can not speak for cruising solo personally but I met two ladies on our cruise last week that were traveling solo.  One ate at chefs table with us and the other I met in the Solarium pool.  Linda, whom I met in the pool was cruising solo because her sister was unable to travel.  She said she was loving it, she could come and go when she wanted and not have to worry about her sister who preferred her quiet time.  She had the unlimited dining and beverage package and said she would probably not get it again because it was just too much for her.  We actually had lunch at Izumi one afternoon and she gave me one of her entree items because it was too much for her.  So we hung out in the pool, then had lunch at the taco place(yuck), then later in the week ate at Izumi then just sat around and chatted.  One was in her early twenties, Linda 62.  Then I met another woman at Coco Cay, she was widowed and decided to keep going with her life and was finding that she loved cruising so she was booking cruises around her work.  Her motto was you never know when it will all end, enjoy it while you can.  Then I made all of their trips better by telling them they were getting four points per room by traveling solo during the promo! 

57 minutes ago, wozswoman said:

I can not speak for cruising solo personally but I met two ladies on our cruise last week that were traveling solo.  One ate at chefs table with us and the other I met in the Solarium pool.  Linda, whom I met in the pool was cruising solo because her sister was unable to travel.  She said she was loving it, she could come and go when she wanted and not have to worry about her sister who preferred her quiet time.  She had the unlimited dining and beverage package and said she would probably not get it again because it was just too much for her.  We actually had lunch at Izumi one afternoon and she gave me one of her entree items because it was too much for her.  So we hung out in the pool, then had lunch at the taco place(yuck), then later in the week ate at Izumi then just sat around and chatted.  One was in her early twenties, Linda 62.  Then I met another woman at Coco Cay, she was widowed and decided to keep going with her life and was finding that she loved cruising so she was booking cruises around her work.  Her motto was you never know when it will all end, enjoy it while you can.  Then I made all of their trips better by telling them they were getting four points per room by traveling solo during the promo! 

Thank you for sharing all your experience. Sounds like you had a fabulous time! I hope I experience the same. My divorce became final 3 years ago and I decided to step outside the box and try something new, that I would never have done in the past. Nervous, scared, but very excited. 

I travel solo when I can. I love it and love doing what I want when I want. My only tip is to be prepared for people to comment or ask why you're alone...or be told how brave you are (I think that's a female thing). People mean well. If you're open to it you will meet other people. I enjoyed the excursion I did and it was great to meet so many new people and share the experience.

Side note and not cruise related but travel related - my tour to Italy solo was the best experience ever, two years later I'm still in contact with a bunch of people.

On 9/11/2021 at 5:36 PM, Donnax4 said:

Just curious, if anyone has cruised solo before. How was it? Did you find it weird or uncomfortable in any way. Did you meet or find others doing the solo thing too? Any tips for me? This is my first time and although I am excited to try this new adventure, I will admit I am nervous at the whole process. DId you find it boring? I love doing things on my own a lot, so not too concerned about that. Hope to hear about others experience!

I cruise solo most of the time. I think the best thing is you do what you want, when you want and with whoever you want. You’re not tied in to someone else where you have to be flexible and considerate of each other’s choices. You get to meet lots of different people and can come and go as you please. It’s surprising how many people are open and welcoming to fellow passengers on a cruise ship. It’s different than it is on land. It’s sort of like we’re all in the same boat (pun intended)! Even if you don’t want to join with others, the crew is fantastic! They are always great to talk with…about them; their families; their lives at sea. I have learned so many amazing things about different places from crew members. As I always say…I cruise solo, but never alone! Enjoy your cruise!😎

Just did my first solo in September. I left the husband and college age kids home.  Facebook has a groups for most sailings.  I joined the group, saw there was a solo meet and greet/sail away Day 1 at one of the pool deck bars snd met a WONDERFUL 
group of people.  We met the next day for 10am trivia (and every day after) and I think by day 3 we went to the main dining room manager and got ourselves a table and we had dinner together every night.  At 10am trivia people would discuss their plans for the day and some would go together. At dinner plans for the evening we’re discussed, and some would go together. 

I hung out at Beach club at CoCocay  with a pair of women in our solo group traveling without spouses.  
I loved traveling solo so much I booked a few more cruises.  I hope I meet some equally as nice people.

hint: don’t wait for others to create a solo meet and greet….or sail away/whatever. Otherwise it might not happen!

2 hours ago, ellcee said:

I travel solo when I can. I love it and love doing what I want when I want. My only tip is to be prepared for people to comment or ask why you're alone...or be told how brave you are (I think that's a female thing). People mean well. If you're open to it you will meet other people. I enjoyed the excursion I did and it was great to meet so many new people and share the experience.

Side note and not cruise related but travel related - my tour to Italy solo was the best experience ever, two years later I'm still in contact with a bunch of people.

Thanks! It's funny because I did read on other forumns about solo cruising and a couple mentioned the same thing about people wondering or asking why you decided to go it alone. Thanks for the comment about Italy. I hope one day I can get that brave and travel to a place like that. I chose a cruise for now, since it's contained on a ship with lots to keep me busy and if I choose to adventure off on the islands, I still have that option. Maybe next adventure? By the way, you cruise a lot!! Love it!

10 minutes ago, BrianB said:

I cruise solo most of the time. I think the best thing is you do what you want, when you want and with whoever you want. You’re not tied in to someone else where you have to be flexible and considerate of each other’s choices. You get to meet lots of different people and can come and go as you please. It’s surprising how many people are open and welcoming to fellow passengers on a cruise ship. It’s different than it is on land. It’s sort of like we’re all in the same boat (pun intended)! Even if you don’t want to join with others, the crew is fantastic! They are always great to talk with…about them; their families; their lives at sea. I have learned so many amazing things about different places from crew members. As I always say…I cruise solo, but never alone! Enjoy your cruise!😎

I appreciate the feedback! While I love being around people and doing things together, I do love my alone time and LOTS of it. I agree, you can do everything on your own time, plus you get your cabin ALL to yourself. Now, I like that thought! Lol I hope I don't become a basket case right before the cruise. The flying alone, the riding in an uber or lyft alone and just the whole processing to get to the ship is making me stressed, in itself. 

9 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

Just did my first solo in September. I left the husband and college age kids home.  Facebook has a groups for most sailings.  I joined the group, saw there was a solo meet and greet/sail away Day 1 at one of the pool deck bars snd met a WONDERFUL 
group of people.  We met the next day for 10am trivia (and every day after) and I think by day 3 we went to the main dining room manager and got ourselves a table and we had dinner together every night.  At 10am trivia people would discuss their plans for the day and some would go together. At dinner plans for the evening we’re discussed, and some would go together. 

I hung out at Beach club at CoCocay  with a pair of women in our solo group traveling without spouses.  
I loved traveling solo so much I booked a few more cruises.  I hope I meet some equally as nice people.

hint: don’t wait for others to create a solo meet and greet….or sail away/whatever. Otherwise it might not happen!

Sounds like you had a great cruise! You obviously had good opportunities to meet other solos. Hopefully I will have the same experience on my sailing. I like that I can maybe talk and meet others if I choose and at the same time be alone, when I want. It's funny, when I first booked this cruise it was about 8 months before the cruiselines shut down for the pandemic. I had just finalized my divorce and was going through a lot and needed desperatly to get away to help me emotionally. Three years, 4 cancellations later and I am backed to normal and happy. I guess it worked out for me. I am going on the cruise that was intended for me to try and forget my sadness and worries, if only for a week and now I couldn't be happier and more excited about life going on vacation. I guess like they say, "Time heals all wounds"

I got back from my first solo cruise last week; I was so lucky to meet up with some great fellow solo cruisers at a meet-up event we had on the first day. But even though we did a lot of things together, I also had a great time just doing some things on my own, too. I also struck up conversations with so many other great folks. But even if none of that would've happened, I definitely don't feel like I would've felt out of place even if I spent the entire cruise in full solo mode. Everyone on board felt so welcoming, and it was so much fun to take part in things -- or just to lounge and enjoy the views!

8 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

We met the next day for 10am trivia (and every day after) and I think by day 3 we went to the main dining room manager and got ourselves a table and we had dinner together every night.  At 10am trivia people would discuss their plans for the day and some would go together. At dinner plans for the evening we’re discussed, and some would go together. 

The above activities are just a taste of what we got to enjoy, even though we were all technically "solo". Toss in the carousel, a dance party or two, and it was an utter blast -- even if they clearly kept me around as the trivia "ringer". 😉

Point is, don't let your "solo" status. Make it the cruise you want, whether that's time with others or by yourself. I hope you have a blast, Donna! 🙂

15 minutes ago, Chadster said:

I got back from my first solo cruise last week; I was so lucky to meet up with some great fellow solo cruisers at a meet-up event we had on the first day. But even though we did a lot of things together, I also had a great time just doing some things on my own, too. I also struck up conversations with so many other great folks. But even if none of that would've happened, I definitely don't feel like I would've felt out of place even if I spent the entire cruise in full solo mode. Everyone on board felt so welcoming, and it was so much fun to take part in things -- or just to lounge and enjoy the views!

The above activities are just a taste of what we got to enjoy, even though we were all technically "solo". Toss in the carousel, a dance party or two, and it was an utter blast -- even if they clearly kept me around as the trivia "ringer". 😉

Point is, don't let your "solo" status. Make it the cruise you want, whether that's time with others or by yourself. I hope you have a blast, Donna! 🙂

Hey Chad! It’s Pat!  We loved you were a ringer but definitely not the reason we “kept you around”!  Great personality means a lot when meeting people, you definitely have that!

6 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

Hey Chad! It’s Pat!  We loved you were a ringer but definitely not the reason we “kept you around”!  Great personality means a lot when meeting people, you definitely have that!

I knew it was you, Pat -- that's why I said it like that. 🤭 Consider it payback for the early birthday shoutout at dinner that one night. 😜

You folks really did make my cruise 10x better, though as I said, I know I would've had fun being much more solo, too.

To anyone reading this thread and feeling on the fence about a solo cruise, I think everybody should try it at least once if they get a chance!