Royal Shareholder OBC

Rob&Ana

Yea, we don't get it.  We got our benefit for our October Allure cruise, but applied several times for our December Jewel OS cruise, but 'nothing'.  We do the same thing every time...use the pdf form, send latest broker statement [statment always within 30 days of cruise], and even confirmations of the buys.  We each own over 100 shares in different accounts, and sending in seperately didn't work either [stipulating we are only seeking one benefit between the two of us, ie per cabin etc].  SO, essentially we were turned down twice.  Maybe something we are doing wrong?  I know in fine print, it is up to RCI's discretion and often not combinable with other credits...but for the Jewel we had NO other credits.  BUt we did use some Future Cruise Credits from canceled cruises last year.  Wife seems to think that might have been the problem [but we used FCC's for almost all the ALLURE fare, and no problem?], but doen't sound fair to me if so [those FCC's get complicated really quick I.O.O].  Any advise on how to get the Stockholder benefit appreciated.  From all I've read, almost a crap shoot?  Somell get it, some don't; almost like a lottery or something, ha. And we've never been informed WHY one way or another; it just shows up on our onboard account, or NOT.  Mostly NOT.  Maybe RCI just dosen't like us, LOL.  

4 hours ago, LadyInRye said:

The annoying online form still seems to yield no results whatsoever. I completed it for a Jan. and March cruise on Dec. 17th. When still no response I completed the online form again on Jan. 1st (cutting it close for my Jan. 6th sailing). Then I emailed but not using the pdf because I didn't know where to get it (thanks to OP I have it now).

Anyway, finally my travel agent called them yesterday and they applied it "as a goodwill gesture" even though I was supposed to apply for it 30 days before the cruise, according to the RCL person on the phone. Honestly, the whole process was a royal pain, and I still don't have any acknowledgment of my online applications and the credit for the upcoming March cruise. My next step will be using the PDF form and emailing it.

Thanks for all the useful tips here. I am a new member of this blog community.

Hmm...instructions we have say submittal should be "received in their office 2 to 3 weeks" before sail date.  Maybe that's been our problem if somewhere else it says 30 days? But then, we can't get the latest broker statement to them before 30 days?  

21 hours ago, LinRon2 said:

Hmm...instructions we have say submittal should be "received in their office 2 to 3 weeks" before sail date.  Maybe that's been our problem if somewhere else it says 30 days? But then, we can't get the latest broker statement to them before 30 days?  

I usually send it in about 90 days out and haven't had an issue when I send in an email to shareholderbenefit@rccl.com that says the following:

Please process the shareholder benefit for my upcoming cruise as follows:

Guest Name: XXXXXXXX

Ship: Liberty of the Seas

Sail Date: December 19, 2021

Booking Number: XXXXXXX

My brokerage statement is attached.

Please let me know if there are any issues.

I've tried the on line form and never had any luck.  I've never tried the PDF.

Thanks!

Steve

I send a separate email including attachments for the stock as well as their form, for each cruise individually.  I usually get a reply "we have received and will review", sometimes I will get a reply it has been applied. If I don't get that reply that it's been applied I log into the cruise planner and it is there-no idea why no email to confirm it was applied.  If it's not, I know to try again.

I tried the One shot for 4 cruises (all within 2 months) and they gave me credit for the first and nothing on the rest, I won't do that again.   

I have submitted requests a week before my sail date and had them approved. Several times I never received word from them whether they were approved or not, but the OBC appeared on my account…sometimes three days into the cruise. Or I do get an email saying it was approved and applied…but don’t see it until up to three days into the cruise. Once I received a telephone call from them letting me know my request was approved. But that was pre-pandemic. 
Recently, when my request was denied…I received an email telling me it was denied because I had other discounts already applied. When I emailed back requesting an explanation, I never received a response. I assumed it was because I was taking advantage of the solo cruiser discount that comes with my C&A level as that was the first time I did it. 
On another note…when I called to reprice one cruise due to reaching that level…I was told it is not combinable with other discounts. Whichever discount gave the best benefit would be applied. For that cruise it was the discount for NJ resident. Knowing how different agents have different information, I’ll just keep trying.

11 minutes ago, FF86 said:

How much is the benefit?  Is it worth it?

$100 for cruises longer than 5 nights; $50 for cruises less than 5 nights.  It's a nice perk for being a shareholder but owning the stock just for the OBC benefit is not the best financial move. Stocks are risky investments and should only be considered as part of a diversified portfolio.

27 minutes ago, FF86 said:

How much is the benefit?  Is it worth it?

This should answer most of your questions: Shareholder Benefit | RCCL Investors (rclinvestor.com)

Like @AshleyDillo mentioned, it is $50 for cruises 5 nights or less and $100 for cruises 6-13 nights and $250 for 14+ nights.  This is true for both Royal and Celebrity. I would have expected SilverSea as well, but that isn't listed on the web page.

Is it worth it?  That's a personal decision.  I looked at my ability to risk loss, the number of times I planned on sailing and my overall financial position. I felt it was a worthwhile thing to do, but YMMV.

• 4 weeks later...

I am very frustrated as I have not been able to get Royal to apply my stockholder benefit that I have requested for the past two months. Previously, the requests were processed in less than one week. Most recently, I just get the automated reply that my request will be processed in the order received and then nothing!  I’m currently on the Brilliance and guest services couldn’t help nor could my TA. No phone number to call. Any suggestions?

21 hours ago, Mr K said:

I am very frustrated as I have not been able to get Royal to apply my stockholder benefit that I have requested for the past two months. Previously, the requests were processed in less than one week. Most recently, I just get the automated reply that my request will be processed in the order received and then nothing!  I’m currently on the Brilliance and guest services couldn’t help nor could my TA. No phone number to call. Any suggestions?

We had this experience last month while on Oasis.  It was our first time trying to apply the credit and it was a ridiculous waste of time.  We emailed 3 times - phoned 4 times (you can't actually ever speak to anyone in that dept) and just kept being told it would be applied.  I emailed again from the ship - received a response it would be applied.  Never was.  I contacted the resolutions department when we returned home and they asked me to send my chain of emails.  They are refunding $100 to my visa for each of our cabins (we had a shareholder in each cabin).  This is appreciated but for the amount of hours I spent on it, not worth the $200.  I would recommend just waiting until you get home and emailing royalguestrelations@rccl.com.  Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2021 at 10:35 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I thought I had read somewhere that they were going to allow the shareholder's discount regardless of whatever other discounts/promos were being applied.  I think I would appeal this decision, @BrianB

Yea, we've had a 'hit or miss' experience with shareholder benefit that almost seems random.  I can see when other credits might be applied as reasoning RCL to bow out on this, but discounts? Wife and I were discussing this, and with all the discounts Royal uses as sales enticements [and gimickry] it would be hard to get this benefit; so that does not seem good reasoning by Royal if so (and we've recieved it on 3 ships when we had multiple discounts in our fare).  Heck, anyone paying full fare just ain't being observant, ha [IOO...ie all them 30% or 60% off promotions they run]. Anyway, we try to create a paper trail by snail mailing our submittals in, timing it for 3 weeks when it arrives [with that months brokerage statment].  We have different accounts so we mail twice [if one of us does not get it quick].  Our 5th cruise since restart in March, we've gotten the credit 3 of 4 so far.  Still looking for Equinox in March. Cruise on the Jewel OS never replied and we applied twice each [4 mailings] but zilch.  Edge, Allure, and Harmony we got the benefit.  Makes one wonder if the ship one is on makes any difference?  Good luck everyone on this.   Is emailing pdf's better?  Hard to figure out exactly what works on this.

1 hour ago, LinRon2 said:

Yea, we've had a 'hit or miss' experience with shareholder benefit that almost seems random.  I can see when other credits might be applied as reasoning RCL to bow out on this, but discounts? Wife and I were discussing this, and with all the discounts Royal uses as sales enticements [and gimickry] it would be hard to get this benefit; so that does not seem good reasoning by Royal if so (and we've recieved it on 3 ships when we had multiple discounts in our fare).  Heck, anyone paying full fare just ain't being observant, ha [IOO...ie all them 30% or 60% off promotions they run]. Anyway, we try to create a paper trail by snail mailing our submittals in, timing it for 3 weeks when it arrives [with that months brokerage statment].  We have different accounts so we mail twice [if one of us does not get it quick].  Our 5th cruise since restart in March, we've gotten the credit 3 of 4 so far.  Still looking for Equinox in March. Cruise on the Jewel OS never replied and we applied twice each [4 mailings] but zilch.  Edge, Allure, and Harmony we got the benefit.  Makes one wonder if the ship one is on makes any difference?  Good luck everyone on this.   Is emailing pdf's better?  Hard to figure out exactly what works on this.

It’s old school, but I’ve had the best luck getting my OBC when faxing my submission.  Submitting using their online system and it seems to get lost in cyberspace.  The couple times when I tried emailing, the response is they can’t open my pdf attachment. 

On 2/22/2022 at 2:01 PM, Jkaczano said:

It’s old school, but I’ve had the best luck getting my OBC when faxing my submission.  Submitting using their online system and it seems to get lost in cyberspace.  The couple times when I tried emailing, the response is they can’t open my pdf attachment. 

Hey...and 'yaah!" our benefit came in for our March cruise on Equinox.  The snail mail worked for us again...but we still don't understand why it didn't for the Jewel OS in December?  that'll make 4 out of 5 tries for us on the shareholder benefit.  Now if we can just pass our covid test again and Keep us from a war with Russia [chagrin].  So much for our cruise to the Baltic this summer, say what? Really wanted to see the Hermitage.  Darn politicians.

• 3 weeks later...

New strategy for my four upcoming cruises (APR, MAY, JUN, & OCT).  This weekend I am sending one email for each cruise with the "Shareholder Onboard Credit Offer Request Form" and my stock account.  Also, this weekend I will be mailing by USPS the same documents in four envelopes (one per cruise).  I hope this works since all of previous attempts have failed.  I am on a mission now...

32 minutes ago, YOLO said:

New strategy for my four upcoming cruises (APR, MAY, JUN, & OCT).  This weekend I am sending one email for each cruise with the "Shareholder Onboard Credit Offer Request Form" and my stock account.  Also, this weekend I will be mailing by USPS the same documents in four envelopes (one per cruise).  I hope this works since all of previous attempts have failed.  I am on a mission now...

Don't forget there fax is an option too.  Starting in Late Jan I used the Web form, then E-mail and finally a fax about two weeks ago for our cruise starting April 1st.  Never heard a thing back, but we made final payment with our TA, and the confirm came back with the credit showing right under their OCB, so I guess it worked, RCCL just didn't bother to reply.  Best of luck !

So this is interesting.  I sent my four emails just after 5PM yesterday (Saturday) with probably about 5 minutes between each.  Addresses were: ShareholderBenefit@rccl.com.  My subject lines were all the same "[Ship Name] Shareholder OBC Request - [Booking Number]" and the body too.  It said simply "Hi Royal Caribbean, I would like to request a Shareholder On Board Credit benefit for my upcoming [Ship Name] cruise.  Attached please find the completed offer request form and my latest brokerage statement.  Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thank You, [My Name & Address]."

For two (and only two) of my four requests, (APR & JUN, but not MAY & OCT) I received an automated reply.  I wonder if two did not go through because RCCL has some sort of problem with their email system?  Both reply's I did receive included a unique "[THREAD ID: X-XXXXXXX]" that could be used for tracking.  Makes me wonder if I should send the two without replies again.  In case anyone is wondering, I sent the emails in order by date, with the closest cruise first.  So my order was APR, MAY, JUN, & OCT (with 5 minutes between).  Based on all of the replies to this thread, I thought it may be too early for the OCT cruise, but tried anyway.  So, I did receive the two replies back in order.  First the APR cruise (1st email) and then the JUN cruise (3rd email).

Here is what the automated rccl reply looked like:

image.png.79a904ce6303db964d8fe52467f8bf0f.png

Follow Up: Yesterday 3/14/22 I received email receipts for all four Shareholder OBCs as requested above.  I checked all four cruise planners and found the $100 OBC had been applied to each.  Yay, I am happy !!!  Not bad this time - I sent my four email requests on Saturday afternoon and received email relies and credits on Monday night.  Quick.  VERY NICE !  😊  Now I just wish I hadn't sent all four by mail too at noon yesterday...

I guess it’s my turn to not be awarded shareholder OBC. Submitted on Feb via email and forgot to attach the doo(duh), instantly realized my error and sent said.

received the one email “no documents attached” and ignored it since I had sent again the same day.  Now one month later and I resent, and now I’ve replied to the “no documents attached” snd attached them AND submitted electronically where you get no receipt.

I guess next week I get the TA to make a call and I’ll follow up with an email to guest relations if that doesn’t work

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, FireFishII said:

Thanks for all the advice I have read on this thread.   My hubby just purchased 100 shares (at my nagging).  Our cruise is this Sunday.  Now I know that I should fill out the PDF and send it via email.  Keep your fingers and toes cross that I get a fast response.  

good luck.  I do believe they ask for a longer lead time.

7 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

good luck.  I do believe they ask for a longer lead time.

Oh, they do - like 3 weeks.  But my husband dragged his feet on buying.  Either way, $40.91 is a great price so if we don't get our OBC, I am not going to cry.  🙂 BECAUSE I AM GOING ON A CRUISE!!!

49 minutes ago, FireFishII said:

Can you believe it!!!  I already got my OBC!  We purchased the stocks yesterday.  We filled out the PDF and emailed it last night.  We got notification this afternoon.  And the OBC appeared on my account just now!  Happy Dance!! Happy Kermit The Frog GIF

That's great.  They took 3 months earlier this year.  Missed $500 across 7 cruises.  

2 hours ago, twangster said:

That's great.  They took 3 months earlier this year.  Missed $500 across 7 cruises.  

I had such an issue getting if for one of my sailings….I finally sent an email inquiry, in the interim I got the credit and while on that sailing I received an email reply to my inquiry saying it could not be processed because the stock statement was over 30 days old (it was not).  They suck!  Sorry that happened!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 6:08 PM, FireFishII said:

Thanks for all the advice I have read on this thread.   My hubby just purchased 100 shares (at my nagging).  Our cruise is this Sunday.  Now I know that I should fill out the PDF and send it via email.  Keep your fingers and toes cross that I get a fast response.  

I used the Shareholder portal (link below).  I downloaded my account statement from my broker, sent the statement to print in PDF and only print the page that the RCL shares were listed.  Blacked out my account number and highlighted the line that had the shares listed and my name.  I did this on Monday (July 4) and got an e-mail late last night (July 5). You put in your sailing date and confirmation number, drag and drop the file to the upload area and you are done.  It took less than 2 minutes to do the upload via the portal (again, link below)

RCCL Shareholder portal

I think that you might be able use a "snipping" tool the do a screen shot of your online statement if you just bought the shares and don't have a monthly statement.  It is a standard tool/app on any windows PC/laptop.  I assume that Apple will have something similar.

Just saying that the portal was quick and easy. 

I submitted via the online survey tool and got no response or confirmation back.  So the next day I submitted one via email and got a quick turnaround for my October trip. Credit is in my cruise planner a day later. 

I think i'll do them this way from now on. Just one at a time when I get within a couple of months of trips. probably have to send an updated statement each time so they know i'm not selling shares.

I blacked out all numbers and other items on the statement and just left the RCL one there for them to see.  

41 minutes ago, D Alt said:

I submitted via the online survey tool and got no response or confirmation back.  So the next day I submitted one via email and got a quick turnaround for my October trip. Credit is in my cruise planner a day later. 

I think i'll do them this way from now on. Just one at a time when I get within a couple of months of trips. probably have to send an updated statement each time so they know i'm not selling shares.

I blacked out all numbers and other items on the statement and just left the RCL one there for them to see.  

What email did you use? I just submitted a request and will see if I get a response.  My cruise was also booked through a TA and it said the TA would need to send a confirmation, so I'm not even sure I will get a response. 

16 minutes ago, BB1 said:

What email did you use? I just submitted a request and will see if I get a response.  My cruise was also booked through a TA and it said the TA would need to send a confirmation, so I'm not even sure I will get a response. 

the email on the form Shareholderbenefit@rccl.com   

I don't get why a TA would need to be involved in this. You get the credits to your cruise planner and this is some private information that I would be hesitant in giving to a TA.  Just try it.