Testing Before Testing: Yes or No

CJS2766

Hello all!

With a little over 30 days to go until we cruise on the Symphony, I have to admit that I am nervous! Nervous at what? A positive Covid test. Of course my spouse and I had our vaccines a while back. My fear is that for whatever crazy reason one of us (specifically me since I work at a Elementary School) test false positive.

I was considering going to my local CVS and being tested the first week or so just to see where we stand. Does this sound like overkill or is this a wise move before our actual test 48 hours before the real test? I just don't know what we should be doing to make sure that we can get on board that flight to Miami and get on that ship!

Thoughts????

Carlos

A pre-test might surprise you with the news that you actually have Covid and are asymptomatic but it won't change the odds of a false positive from the required test.  If a false positive is your concern, then the only thing you can really do is take multiple tests at the required time.  That way, if one test is a false positive you can ignore it and use the negative results.

I was actually just talking to my husband about this - we fly in to Florida 2 days before our cruise so we'll have to do the at home test from our hotel, but I might go get a Walgreens test here before we fly just for peace of mind. We have a wedding to go to the weekend before our cruise so it'll help with peace of mind. 

I am feeling the same for my upcoming cruise in October. I think we will schedule at CVS for the 2 days before sailing but also buy a couple at home tests online for backup in case the CVS tests don’t go as planned. I figure if don’t use the at home ones before, we can test ourselves 3-5 days after returning just to make sure we did not get Covid.