Check-in Lines?

BrianB

I have seen some videos showing frustrated passengers who arrive to the port at their designated times and are met with a long line. Apparently many others are coming early, well before their reserved time, and are being held outside. So those that came at their time just go to the end of the line and wait. No one is taking charge, telling them what to do.
Others have said they do not wait in the line but just go to the front and, after the workers confirm that they are on time, let them in. 
And still others said they purposely came early…and were allowed in before time. I think this, and past pre-Covid experiences, is what’s causing others to just show up early.

Can you please share your experience.

Port Canaveral was completely different from what I have seen in Port of Miami. We walked up and they were letting everyone in. There was no separate line for Suite guests, only a podium for Star Class.  They had a winding queue outside set up, but there was never anyone in it. We did get there at 11am so not sure if it was different later, but a lot of folks on our sailing arrived earlier and were surprised to be allowed into the line before their check-in times.

We got on Mariner in Port Canaveral on September 3. Our arrival was scheduled at 2:00-3:00PM. We arrived a little before 2:00 and they had 3 group areas and thought this was just to allow people to walk through, but it really was for folks that were on time, and then for the early folks but there were no signs and you had to ask someone to find this out. All 3 queues were full. Once we found out which was the right queue for us, it went fairly quickly. We had to show covid test result and vaccination card and then we could go into the building to get in the queue for the health check, where we showed both of those again. Then security, then upstairs to checkin where we had to show documentation and then finally one more time with our documentation before getting on the ship. 

We had watched the Safety videos in line and so went straight to our assembly station to check in and finish the Safety procedure. Headed to our rooms and got our SeaPass that were just outside our room. Within about 30 minutes after we got out of our car, we had a drink in hand on the pool deck. 

Great info. I am on Mariner Sept 17 from port Canaveral. My time is 1:00 but I found this on the crown and anchor society webpage. And I am in a Suite so I’m hoping I can shop a little early.

Flexible Arrival

A spaced and scheduled boarding process has been implemented with everyone’s health in mind for a smooth experience. Flexible Arrival allows our Pinnacle Club and Suite guests to check in at the terminal no earlier than one hour before the 30-minute arrival window you selected ahead of your sailing, or one hour after.

51 minutes ago, Bart said:

We got on Mariner in Port Canaveral on September 3. Our arrival was scheduled at 2:00-3:00PM. We arrived a little before 2:00 and they had 3 group areas and thought this was just to allow people to walk through, but it really was for folks that were on time, and then for the early folks but there were no signs and you had to ask someone to find this out. All 3 queues were full. Once we found out which was the right queue for us, it went fairly quickly. We had to show covid test result and vaccination card and then we could go into the building to get in the queue for the health check, where we showed both of those again. Then security, then upstairs to checkin where we had to show documentation and then finally one more time with our documentation before getting on the ship. 

We had watched the Safety videos in line and so went straight to our assembly station to check in and finish the Safety procedure. Headed to our rooms and got our SeaPass that were just outside our room. Within about 30 minutes after we got out of our car, we had a drink in hand on the pool deck. 

So let me get this straight in my head.  They round you up like cattle and bunch you all together.  Then check you to see if in the past two days you had a Covid test that was negative. Just a thought but wouldn't that cause a risk in and of itself of exposing that group to someone that may have Covid.  Makes no sense but I must add that nothing makes sense at this point in the Pandemic.  I am not a conspiracy type person and trying to curb the Pandemic is a good thing in my mind. But please try something that makes a little sense!

22 hours ago, BigKarl said:

So let me get this straight in my head.  They round you up like cattle and bunch you all together.  Then check you to see if in the past two days you had a Covid test that was negative. Just a thought but wouldn't that cause a risk in and of itself of exposing that group to someone that may have Covid.  Makes no sense but I must add that nothing makes sense at this point in the Pandemic.  I am not a conspiracy type person and trying to curb the Pandemic is a good thing in my mind. But please try something that makes a little sense!

Evidently Covid does not spread until you cross the threshold and are actually on the ship………….

Check in at Bahamas was good.  Someone asked our time and we were right on time, we were told to go upstairs.  However someone was at the bottom, pretty much blocking upstairs, talking to a family who were confused where to go (wrong time) so we waited instead of pushing through.  Our person who had told us to go up came to us about 5 minutes later and said “I told you to go up”..  so we walked around the “confused people”.

it seemed orderly otherwise.

this check in was at a hotel, so I’m sure normal ports are a tad different.

I agree that a lot of people see lines and wait (sort of like I did) instead of making inquiries.  It can be frustrating to find out you waited needlessly on the wrong lines. Better communication is definitely needed.  Usually I park hubby/kids on line, find someone to ask, and either rejoin them or call to them to join me.  This time I’ll be going solo so I’ll need to bring extra patience to deal with the “nonsense” of lack of signage/communication.

22 hours ago, KLA said:

Any insights on how this is going at Port Everglades? Still figuring out how to time my late checkout/port arrival. 

PEV was very smooth boarding Odyssey last week.  I had 12 noon which was the earliest I ever saw.  I drove to the port and despite going slow on the interstate I arrived early.  The suites/pinnacle door was working normally and I was checked in and upstairs at 11:41am.  I waited maybe 20 minutes before boarding started.  

For my cruise it seemed like it worked because people didn't come early in masses.  On a different date that could be very different if masses ignore the appointment times.

The parking lot and arrivals loop at terminal 18 was empty when I got there.   it was kind of eerie actually, like am I at the right terminal?   I can see the ship but where are the people?  🙂 

Thanks for putting this on here, @BrianB. I started a similar thread at CC and was coming here to do this as well, and saw you already had.

Lots of us would love to hear the experiences of those that have sailed. I’m particularly interested in the Port of Miami. 🙂

And thanks to those who have shared. 

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

PEV was very smooth boarding Odyssey last week.  I had 12 noon which was the earliest I ever saw.  I drove to the port and despite going slow on the interstate I arrived early.  The suites/pinnacle door was working normally and I was checked in and upstairs at 11:41am.  I waited maybe 20 minutes before boarding started.  

For my cruise it seemed like it worked because people didn't come early in masses.  On a different date that could be very different if masses ignore the appointment times.

The parking lot and arrivals loop at terminal 18 was empty when I got there.   it was kind of eerie actually, like am I at the right terminal?   I can see the ship but where are the people?  🙂 

Awesome - thanks so much.

I'm hoping I can get that earlier check in time but it's looking like I'm stuck with 2 PM for now. Debating if I try and head over around 1 PM or not. 

I think the important thing to realize is there are a limited number of Royal staff able to conduct the check in.  It IS a process, as some have described.  Not only the screenings, but all that goes with a regular check in.  It’s not the standard staffing, but reduced. (You’d think proportion of staff to passengers shouldn’t make a difference but it does due to the additional processing)

when 5,10,15 etc. people decide to show up early there just likely isn’t ample time to process them, and factor in those who might be late for their 1/2 hour window, then needing to be inserted into another time slot it makes for delays.  when someone posts they tried and successfully got in early it only encourages others to do the same-not all ports/ships are at similar capacity/ability.  It would be most beneficial if everyone stuck to their check in. (And I’m not thrilled I don’t have the earliest check in, but I’ll respect the process, I also am an habitually early person, so this will be difficult for me to “stand by” or, horrors-just be on time! Lol) 

2 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

I think the important thing to realize is there are a limited number of Royal staff able to conduct the check in.  It IS a process, as some have described.  Not only the screenings, but all that goes with a regular check in.  It’s not the standard staffing, but reduced. (You’d think proportion of staff to passengers shouldn’t make a difference but it does due to the additional processing)

when 5,10,15 etc. people decide to show up early there just likely isn’t ample time to process them, and factor in those who might be late for their 1/2 hour window, then needing to be inserted into another time slot it makes for delays.  when someone posts they tried and successfully got in early it only encourages others to do the same-not all ports/ships are at similar capacity/ability.  It would be most beneficial if everyone stuck to their check in. (And I’m not thrilled I don’t have the earliest check in, but I’ll respect the process, I also am an habitually early person, so this will be difficult for me to “stand by” or, horrors-just be on time! Lol) 

I know and acknowledge that this is the right thing to do - I'm just impatient. Getting there on time won't kill me. lol 

41 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

when someone posts they tried and successfully got in early it only encourages others to do the same-not all ports/ships are at similar capacity/ability.  It would be most beneficial if everyone stuck to their check in. 

There's an entire thread on the Royal Caribbean Dining Facebook page where people are saying they checked in hours before their assigned check in time and are encouraging others to just show up at 10:30.  I just had to stop reading it because it was annoying me.

5 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

There's an entire thread on the Royal Caribbean Dining Facebook page where people are saying they checked in hours before their assigned check in time and are encouraging others to just show up at 10:30.  I just had to stop reading it because it was annoying me.

and of course is that not the entire problem.  even before Covid we (and I say that to include my self in many cases) line up at the terminal door waiting for it to open.  I think much of this problem is limited to Royal Caribbean, as some other line I sailed (mea culpa) have always enforced check in times, at least at most ports.

We boarded last Saturday at the Miami port and the lines were super long.  Our boarding time was 1:30pm and got there at 1:15pm.  There were 2 segments to the line though, make sure you talk to someone at the first segment of the line if you get there near your assigned boarding time so you don't wait all the way in the back along with people who got there much earlier than their assigned time.  We ended up on the ship around 2:15-2:30pm.

43 minutes ago, Jill said:

@KLA my original check in was 1-1:30 but just recently 12-12:30 opened up so I moved us up an hour. This is for Symphony. Keep checking yours to see if earlier times have been added. 

I’m one of those rule followers so will wait until high noon to show up. Ok honestly 11:45 sitting in the car. 😂

What is your sail date? Just curious how far out it was before they made the 12:00 checkin available. We sail on the Symphony December 4th.

2 hours ago, Jill said:

@KLA my original check in was 1-1:30 but just recently 12-12:30 opened up so I moved us up an hour. This is for Symphony. Keep checking yours to see if earlier times have been added. 

I’m one of those rule followers so will wait until high noon to show up. Ok honestly 11:45 sitting in the car. 😂

Eh.. my sail date is Oct 3rd and I booked less than a week ago after another vacation was cancelled. I might be out of luck. 

August 27th Cruise Port Seattle

They had different lines for each time 11:30am, 12pm ect....

A bit of confusion for some passengers, but I thought it was marked well

We had 12pm and the line was long but with a bit of patience we were on the ship before you knew it.

Once your line starts its a very quick process if you have everything lined up.  I think it took us 5 minutes to check in once in the terminal.

I actually met someone on here but he and his sweet wife, he was so busy showing me how to use my phone with the RC appt I never got their names.  

Sorry I missed the meet-up, I gave my husband Dramamine and for some reason it knocked him out (used it plenty of time before).  I never saw them again the whole cruise 😞 

On 9/11/2021 at 4:03 PM, Shari said:

Has anyone had experience at the port of Galveston that they would like to share? 

We just disembarked from the Independence today (9/12)

Last Sunday we got to the checkpoint at the appointed time, I think it was 1:30, and Mrs. Cake's test result was not in order. You have to have something that has your name, date, and negative indication. So Mrs. Cake went to the nearest place that would do a quick test. She got back to the terminal at ten minutes to four and they lock the doors at 4:00, no exceptions. Once she got through the door, the staff was very helpful, even more than they usually are, and we got on the ship toot sweet.

Make sure your test results have your name, date of test, and negative result.

All's well that ends well. We enjoyed our cruise on the empty ship. I recommend it, there were no lines for anything and great service. Bring some hand lotion and a couple of comfortable masks.

On 9/10/2021 at 2:50 PM, Beachy said:

Great info. I am on Mariner Sept 17 from port Canaveral. My time is 1:00 but I found this on the crown and anchor society webpage. And I am in a Suite so I’m hoping I can shop a little early.

Flexible Arrival

A spaced and scheduled boarding process has been implemented with everyone’s health in mind for a smooth experience. Flexible Arrival allows our Pinnacle Club and Suite guests to check in at the terminal no earlier than one hour before the 30-minute arrival window you selected ahead of your sailing, or one hour after.

Beachy, would you please share the url for that info? I can't seem to find it. Thank you for the info!

11 hours ago, CrusingfromClayton said:

I know it's early as her first week sailing ended yesterday, but has anyone sailed out of Bayonne on Oasis? I believe she is the first to sail out of that port since lockdown. We sail out 10/17 and Delta has literally changed our flights 3 times so need to be prepared for just about anything now lol.

I’m also hoping someone can post their experience at Port Liberty before I go. I'll be there on Sunday. 
I drive to the port and use the parking garage. My arrival time is 12:30 but I’m in a crown loft suite so I’ll get there early and see what happens. I’ll post how it went when I get on board!

12 hours ago, CrusingfromClayton said:

Beachy, would you please share the url for that info? I can't seem to find it. Thank you for the info!

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/crown-anchor-society/program-updates

Also got this last week in an email from the suite concierge:

As we return to service, some benefits and services have changed. To follow new health protocols and better manage the flow of guests in terminals, the check-in process will be different. All guests will be required to select an arrival time in advance via the Royal Caribbean app. However, suite guests can enjoy Flexible Arrival — a new program allowing the freedom to check-in up to one hour before or after your scheduled check-in time while the terminal is open.