Masking Advice for the Ship

JustMeJoe

I really hate to start this topic, but thought I need some mask advice from current cruisers.  It's the time we're living in.  If we pass the C19 antigen test next Wed, we'll be cruising this time next Friday.  

I've done the "blue surgical type" - nah;  the cloth type that pull on my ears and make me look like Dumbo - nah.  I've seen the type with a lanyard that lets it hang around your neck - Maybe?   But all of them seem to fog up my (sun)glasses.

When I need to wear one, I finally decided on the pullover "gaiter" type which I can't lose and is always there if I have to pull it up.

What type do you guys recommend for cruising?  Does RCL advise one vs. another?  I'll bet Royal has some logo masks for sale in the shops onboard -Haha.

While I could absolutely be convinced to purchase a Royal logo mask as memorabilia from this time - we opted to buy a box of paper masks for this cruise. The logic being that if we are out walking around and have them on often without being able to clean our regular cloth ones, the paper disposable ones will be easier to deal with on a day to day active basis. 

We just got off the Ovation a week ago.

We both have the cloth ones and my husband just pushes up his mask a bit so the nose piece rest on the top of his mask, no fogging.

I like the ones target sells, they jut out some they are not tight to your mouth and I can breath better.

I thought the gators are not allowed?  I could be wrong but I never saw anyone wearing one of the ship?

You are correct RC has cloth ones for sale plus they give you white ones in your cabin.

47 minutes ago, JustMeJoe said:

I've seen the type with a lanyard that lets it hang around your neck - Maybe? 

I am team mask-lanyard allll day (although I havent religiously worn masks since CA dropped the mandate in June) and love how easy it is to remove to eat/drink while also not having to worry about shoving it in a pocket and all the excessive fabric touching that goes with that. I have been on two vacations since covid and we just brought a ton of varying cloth masks each to deal with the constant need to swap it out for a fresh one. 

I could see the lanyard being handy when you're walking the ship and moving between locales that do and do not require masks.

We had disposable masks -white with small Royal logo-in the cabin…one each.

I saw some people with some really nice cloth RC masks they say were in their cabin.

they had a different RC  masks for sale in the shops-eh.

I purchased cloth masks from Old Navy, they had the adjustable ear loops, VERY COMFY, 5 pack was $12.50. 

I found having a few masks for the airport, flight, arrival, transfer and boarding the ship made me feel better as opposed to wearing the same for hours on end. 

As for fogging, I pulled the mask up, put my sunglasses over the mask, it seemed to help.

disposable paper 3 layer masks,  if you ask you cabin steward will also get you some more, but I brought my own, if they catch you with out one they will go get one for you.

Really not as bad as I thought it would be, only really need when traveling from location to location.

Flying was worse with the extended time of wear.

I feel you.  We did the disposable ones and I wore contacts for the week instead of glasses.  I kept the Royal Caribbean ones they hand out for OFF the ship haha Though I don't know why, we haven't worn them around town in a long time, outside of the hospital.

I wear glasses and not only am wearing a mask aboard this week, I’ve had to wear one at work for what seems like forever. 

Play with where your glasses sit on your face in relation to where the mask is. You’ll find the sweet spot where your glasses won’t fog too much. For me, my glasses just sit in the upper edge of the mask. 

At work I go in and out of a cooler all day long, so I can relate to the frustration of wearing a mask with glasses. 

I wear a few different pairs of specs and depending on their design, I will either get fogging or not regardless of if I put the nose bridge over the top of the mask. 

A little tip if you can’t get your glasses to stop fogging. Get a small piece of tissue paper and fold it into a thin strip. Place it under your mask just below your nose bridge. It almost always eliminates fogging. 

It is a little troublesome whenever you take off your mask, but it was something we learnt at work since we have to wear one all day. 

10 hours ago, TxCr said:

I feel you.  We did the disposable ones and I wore contacts for the week instead of glasses.  I kept the Royal Caribbean ones they hand out for OFF the ship haha Though I don't know why, we haven't worn them around town in a long time, outside of the hospital.

So smart about the contacts.  Wish that was an option for me.  Used to wear them all the time but about 10 years ago, I had to stop due to my eyes being too dry.  Glasses are the biggest issue for me with a mask...can't figure out how to not fog up.  Have tried different masks and different spots for the glasses.

1 hour ago, TXcruzer said:

I use the "anti fog" spray that is sold for snow skiing goggles, it NEARLY eliminates the fogging up of the glasses and sunglasses.

Do you have a specific branch that you recommend?  Our next cruise is Anthem and so will be a lot of mask wearing since indoors.

3 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

So smart about the contacts.  Wish that was an option for me.  Used to wear them all the time but about 10 years ago, I had to stop due to my eyes being too dry.  Glasses are the biggest issue for me with a mask...can't figure out how to not fog up.  Have tried different masks and different spots for the glasses.

Do you have a specific branch that you recommend?  Our next cruise is Anthem and so will be a lot of mask wearing since indoors.

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Fog-Prevents-Fogging-Binoculars-Solution/dp/B07PBCZ7C6/ref=asc_df_B07PBCZ7C6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366289905286&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12967747665350959054&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026833&hvtargid=pla-865071754517&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=79098075347&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=366289905286&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12967747665350959054&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026833&hvtargid=pla-865071754517

This one works well, it's a small bottle so easy for travel.  I will spray my glasses in the morning, and then depending on activity level, maybe again in the mid afternoon and am good through the evening.

They also make an impregnated towelette, but I haven't had as good luck with it with regards to durability of the effect.

27 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Fog-Prevents-Fogging-Binoculars-Solution/dp/B07PBCZ7C6/ref=asc_df_B07PBCZ7C6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366289905286&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12967747665350959054&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026833&hvtargid=pla-865071754517&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=79098075347&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=366289905286&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12967747665350959054&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026833&hvtargid=pla-865071754517

This one works well, it's a small bottle so easy for travel.  I will spray my glasses in the morning, and then depending on activity level, maybe again in the mid afternoon and am good through the evening.

They also make an impregnated towelette, but I haven't had as good luck with it with regards to durability of the effect.

Thanks so much. I am Canadian and see it on amazon ca so can order it and give it a try.

Can't help with the glasses fogging up, but my husband and I use these masks and they're great for when you have to take them off often as it can just hang around your neck.  Plus the band in the back takes a bit of the pressure off your ears.  There's also a pocket for a filter if you're concerned about that.  On the rare occasion I wear glasses though, they have fogged up.

https://case-mate.com/products/safe-mate-adult-regular-3-pack-cloth-face-mask

17 hours ago, DDaley said:

I am team mask-lanyard allll day (although I havent religiously worn masks since CA dropped the mandate in June) and love how easy it is to remove to eat/drink while also not having to worry about shoving it in a pocket and all the excessive fabric touching that goes with that. I have been on two vacations since covid and we just brought a ton of varying cloth masks each to deal with the constant need to swap it out for a fresh one. 

I could see the lanyard being handy when you're walking the ship and moving between locales that do and do not require masks.

Where did you get the mask lanyard from?

I like the idea of a lanyard but with my luck it would just become a hammock for a meatball I dropped at dinner.  I stocked up for my cruise with these cloth "Hanes" masks. They are a comfortable fit for myself and wife and a great price if you can get over the fact that they are made by Hanes and look like underwear material. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hanes-Wicking-Cotton-Masks-10-Pack/783560599 

20 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

That was actually going to be my question, but you answered it. That really stinks because that is what I use, have used since the pandemic started. Even my employer is OK with it and I work for the Government. 

21 hours ago, KLA said:

While I could absolutely be convinced to purchase a Royal logo mask as memorabilia from this time - we opted to buy a box of paper masks for this cruise. The logic being that if we are out walking around and have them on often without being able to clean our regular cloth ones, the paper disposable ones will be easier to deal with on a day to day active basis. 

That's what I did too -- I bought 50 of them for 20 bucks -- so I could just dispose of them as needed

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09DCBQG1V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I absolutely hate masks because of the same issues, living in Florida and being required to wear one in the humid summer heat for work was killing me,  I decided to try the Under Armour masks ( about $25 for the mask)   only because school kids were wearing them for sports practice and raving about them so I gave it a try.  Its still not fun to wear but they are designed so the top pulls away from your nose just enough to let air circulate and makes breathing a bit easier.  I would give it a try, since you will be required to wear it inside the ship where its much cooler then outside.  You may find it to be more bearable. Again this is all personal opinion.  

3 hours ago, Rob922 said:

I absolutely hate masks because of the same issues, living in Florida and being required to wear one in the humid summer heat for work was killing me

Keep in mind on Royal, you only wear your masks indoors in almost always highly air conditioned environments. Wearing masks with a lot of A/C is very comfortable, in my opinion.

The only time I've had to wear a mask outdoor is in Mexico, but that's a Mexico rule.

On 9/15/2021 at 9:02 AM, whitsmom said:

Hi fellow Kentuckian - we are in Elizabethtown!  We are in Lexington often as that is where our daughter and family live.

Hello whitsmom!  We are in Miami today, going out on Freedom tomorrow if all goes well.  Vax done, Check-in complete, antigen test done and negative, health questions answered; now let's see if they'll let me onboard.  😷

On 9/16/2021 at 1:39 PM, JustMeJoe said:

Hello whitsmom!  We are in Miami today, going out on Freedom tomorrow if all goes well.  Vax done, Check-in complete, antigen test done and negative, health questions answered; now let's see if they'll let me onboard.  😷

Good for you!  I might be a little jealous 😋.  We don't cruise until July and Aug 2022.

On 9/10/2021 at 3:13 PM, BigKarl said:

I like the idea of a lanyard but with my luck it would just become a hammock for a meatball I dropped at dinner.  I stocked up for my cruise with these cloth "Hanes" masks. They are a comfortable fit for myself and wife and a great price if you can get over the fact that they are made by Hanes and look like underwear material. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hanes-Wicking-Cotton-Masks-10-Pack/783560599 

The KN95 on a lanyard folds flat. I haven't had trouble with meatballs LOL.

IMG_20210926_101206166_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Is that one of the ones that make you look like a woodpecker ?  Lol

No, not at all...mallard duck perhaps! I do love the lanyard though, you can tuck it under a T-shirt. I'm really not too concerned about looks on this cruise. I just want to be safe and comfortable. 

My main problem with glasses & masks is that I can wear the mask fine with my regular distance glasses AND my computer glasses --both of those have thin metal frames -- but my prescription sunglasses have a thicker plastic frame, and WILL NOT stay on my face with the mask. The sunglasses are also a little loose, but I have an eye dr appt next month (same place I bought the glasses) and will try to see if the frames can be adjusted a bit to sit tighter, and allow the mask & glasses together.  I also have non prescription sunglasses, but haven't tried them with the mask on.

As far as fogging is concerned -- masks with the metal strip on top that allow it to be molded over your nose work much better in keeping glasses fog free.  I work in a hospital, so I have plenty of disposable masks with the nose wire. I have cloth masks too, but the ones I have don't have the metal, & I have more trouble with those

20 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

My main problem with glasses & masks is that I can wear the mask fine with my regular distance glasses AND my computer glasses --both of those have thin metal frames -- but my prescription sunglasses have a thicker plastic frame, and WILL NOT stay on my face with the mask. The sunglasses are also a little loose, but I have an eye dr appt next month (same place I bought the glasses) and will try to see if the frames can be adjusted a bit to sit tighter, and allow the mask & glasses together.  I also have non prescription sunglasses, but haven't tried them with the mask on.

As far as fogging is concerned -- masks with the metal strip on top that allow it to be molded over your nose work much better in keeping glasses fog free.  I work in a hospital, so I have plenty of disposable masks with the nose wire. I have cloth masks too, but the ones I have don't have the metal, & I have more trouble with those

Good news is, in an environment where sunglasses are required, masks aren’t. 

10 minutes ago, Kkmadden said:

Leaving next Monday on Freedom of the seas. Are masks required once you are seated in the shows and for games, karaoke and such?

Haven't been on a ship yet, but I THINK that they are required indoors unless you are eating/drinking. Karaoke, since you're singing, would definitely spread more particles (and spread them farther) than just talking, so probably, unless they have you behind a clear wall that gets sanitized between singers

1 hour ago, Kkmadden said:

Leaving next Monday on Freedom of the seas. Are masks required once you are seated in the shows and for games, karaoke and such?

You do not have to wear one if you are in a vaccinated-only venue.  So it'll vary by venue depending on the ship.  This article details which venues were which back in July.  I'm not sure if anything has changed.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/06/28/here’s-which-parts-of-the-cruise-ship-will-be-limits-unvaccinated-passengers-royal

1 hour ago, Kkmadden said:

As long as you're in a vax-only venue, no mask needed. For the sections of shows designated as non-vaxed, mask must stay on for shows, but in the general seating you can remove it if you wish.

On 9/9/2021 at 6:43 PM, MicDay said:

We just got off the Ovation a week ago.

We both have the cloth ones and my husband just pushes up his mask a bit so the nose piece rest on the top of his mask, no fogging.

I like the ones target sells, they jut out some they are not tight to your mouth and I can breath better.

I thought the gators are not allowed?  I could be wrong but I never saw anyone wearing one of the ship?

You are correct RC has cloth ones for sale plus they give you white ones in your cabin.

I second the cloth ones that Target sells. My son has spent several months wearing these #all day# at school. He is very sensitive to itchy/ scratchy stuff and he has been happy with these. Brand is Universal Thread I believe.

On 9/20/2021 at 7:34 AM, whitsmom said:

Good for you!  I might be a little jealous 😋.  We don't cruise until July and Aug 2022.

Hi again Whitsmom.  We made it back from a 10 night on Freedom with no problems!  Just had to do a couple of nose swabs for the back to backs - negative.  Ship was about 20-40 percent capacity - smallest 1191 to 2609 largest - holds 4375.  Masks were on and off (sorry about that) - most wore them some did not - was really not a big deal since we were outside mostly or eating/drinking.  Really nothing to do ashore - mostly closed at Nassau.  Stayed on the ship and just glad to be sailing again. 

Talk later, take care.